Football Media Discussion 2

11 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Yes, very ******* weird. Teams are good “on paper”. Sports are good or not.

I'd say he's either 

A) speaking as a business man, in terms of numbers, dollars around the game globally and opportunities etc. 

Or B) speaking in terms of statistics. Crowd numbers, viewership etc

Or a bit of both. 

He's just trying to be objective. Subjectively you could argue all day about what constitutes a good sport. 

For example: 'On paper', AFL is the greatest game in Australia yet we all know its a **** embarrassment to this country. 

On 19/05/2018 at 2:35 AM, StringerBellend said:

Yes but

Do they really want to hurt me? 

Do they really want to make me cry? 

I think we all need to Karma Karma Karma Karma Karma Chamelion the faaarrk down

Was at the takeaway last night and they had the Sunday Terrorgraph.  I looked at the sport section andvtje only reference to football of any kind was that Todd Greenberg (NRL CEO) was going to the World Cup for free to look at stadiums.

On a sidebnote, rumours abound that Rupert Murdoch is about to retire.

10 hours ago, Paul01 said:

On a sidebnote, rumours abound that Rupert Murdoch is about to retire.

I read somewhere he nearly died after a "fall" on his yacht last year.

56 minutes ago, tardotz said:

I am a bit ashamed to say this but I really hope the VAR is a massive fail in the World Cup, it's the only way we may get rid of it for a while.

Nothing to be ashamed of. There's no way it will work. Apart from the issues already inherent in the system, the vast majority of referees have never used it before! It's a recipe for absolute disaster and at least one big football mad country is gonna have a meltdown about it.

1 hour ago, luisenrique said:

Nothing to be ashamed of. There's no way it will work. Apart from the issues already inherent in the system, the vast majority of referees have never used it before! It's a recipe for absolute disaster and at least one big football mad country is gonna have a meltdown about it.

Yep, ludicrous that they're using it. Even knowing how stupid FIFA are, I was still surprised 

International articles like this are why the media and the Hadley's and Jones in particular of this world here love to portray soccer in such a bad light and use articles such as this in reference to active support here even though in Aus active or ultra support is "tame" in comparison to this about Russian Ultras. 

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/23659183/world-cup-2018-russia-new-school-hooligan-culture

Completely different worlds. The parrot and his challenged mate are simply perpetuating a half baked narrative invented by corporates from insecure rival codes. A prophecy was cooked up that, inspite of glaring differences between Australia and these countries, crowd violence would escalate from what Australian sport is used to, to the horrors seen during world news segments. What they gloss over is the fact these countries have seen their governments collapse into absolute disarray, with social order no longer present.

In fact, North African countries have seen "ultras" and "active support" rise up through the chaos to become some of the few cohesive and functioning, though still quite violent, forms of govermment in the region. Australia lacks the basic elements for such manic scenes to manifest themselves due to a simple football match. In fact, the last time such scenes were witnessed here, was when these custodians of decent society, incited a race riot across the south of Sydney. A scuffle, not unlike those seen at A League matches, had long since ended with the antagonisers being pursued by authorities. When out of this relative quiet comes these boofheads and their ilk demanding retaliation. Compare those days of terror to the glasses and smoke bombs being tossed around for 20 min in Melbourne that day.

22 hours ago, beatsurrender said:

"Pat, a men’s semi finalist in this year’s Australian Open quit after two sets against Roger Federer because he had a blister on his foot. #realmanssport"

ahahahhahaa dave hughes 

The coverage and interest in the World Cup from non football folk is pretty impressive. One of the commentators doing the afl tomorrow night openly admitted on radio he’d rather be watching the Socceroos game and will have it on in the commentary box. He even went one further and said that the Hawks Adelaide game will have to do a lot to try and maintain his attention. Granted a lot of the interest is more from a patriotic point of view but none the less, still there. 

2 hours ago, marron said:

Bielsa at leeds.... it's a bit like if it was the 70s and Brian Clough went there or something.

So Bielsa won’t be coaching Southern Expansion and work for Fozz:xbop:

• 4 weeks later...