Football Media Discussion 2

On 21/06/2019 at 10:09 AM, hughsey said:

That’s a short sighted view. The FFA have been sticking with Fox out of desperation for years and all it’s doing is sending us along this downwards trajectory towards failure because their own internal problems are now ours and we’re becoming the scapegoat.

You guys are assuming that firstly, Fox actually want the A-League when the next rights come up and that secondly, they even still exist. All the mail coming out in the media suggests they are no longer interested and are in serious financial strife.

It’s all good and well saying they pay the wages now but if we get three years down the track and they throw us under the bus to save themselves, which is looking very likely, then we are completely screwed. At the moment we’re at least worth something, if we keep following this path for another 3 years we will be worth **** all.

Need to start looking bigger picture and planning for the future. I think the owners are aware of this and are actively trying to stabilise the ship - hence the push for independence. Maybe they might have to cover wages for a short period while we can negotiate something different? Who knows? But staying with what is comfortable for now is just going to end in disaster down the track imo.

With all due respect I can’t see the owners of the nix, ccm, roar or Adelaide running to fund increasing opex costs 

I’m not denying Fox probably don’t give 2 shits but there is zero interest for a major media outlet to pick up aleague

It’s been tossed between sbs, channel 10 whose turn next is it to date the ugly boy no girl wants 😉

Andrew Bolt had Bozza on his show on Sky last night to talk about FFA culpability for the Stajcic sacking and Matildas' World Cup performance. Their views on the matters seemed quite similar, and they appeared to be rather chummy. 

Interestingly, Bolt claimed that he was once 3rd choice goal keeper for the SA schoolboys representative team.

Did anyone else see it?  Surely not everyone on this forum is a raving Lefty ;)

On 20/06/2019 at 3:30 PM, Taurus said:

Optus paid a reported $50+ mill to gain EPL rights, double what Fox were paying, or prepared to pay.

That set the wheels in motion & the eventually lead to the removal of the majority of football content from Fox.

Do Optus want the AL rights? Not likely when they're struggling to make a profit atm.  

Optus bought the EPL rights but it was never bought with the intention of revenue raising. They’ve taken the strategy from a telecom company in the UK (BT) which used sports rights to attract people to sign with that company. The ceo has said publicly that they’ve been able to attract more new customers due to bundling its services with the Optus sport channel.

On 21/06/2019 at 8:59 AM, Burztur said:

The reality is, subscriptions are dying and its due to Netflix. 

They paid over for NRL and AFL but subscriptions are at saturation point. This is all tinkering around the edges when their business model needs a wholesale rethink.

They might have overpaid for those two sports but that’s where most of the subscribers come from & now they’ve got cricket to plug the summer content gap. 

Are subs at saturation point? I’d beg to differ, yes they have struggled to grow subs but when you look at the percentage of paytv users across the wider population, it’s very low. Just in the same way that Netflix has shown that they can grow subscribers in such large numbers for its service, I’d say it’s an issue with the model rather than the product.

It’s a double edged sword for football when it comes to Fox. We all complain about how we are bending over at all of Foxtel’s demands as a result of our deal & you all make very valid arguments about the positive impact of moving away from Fox BUT: They are the only mob willing to stump up $60m a season & nobody else is willing to go close. They’ve signaled that they believe they’ve overpaid & signaled that they won’t be going higher and scaling back its operation.

The sad reality is that SBS struggled to put $10m on the table in the previous deal for 1 game simulcast, the performance of the A-League on 10 was disastrous (yes conditions weren’t ideal to maximize potential) & nobody else is going to pay $60m + production costs a year, it highlights the precarious situation Australian Football finds itself when it comes to free to air television.

On 27/06/2019 at 5:32 PM, Prydzopolis said:

Optus bought the EPL rights but it was never bought with the intention of revenue raising. They’ve taken the strategy from a telecom company in the UK (BT) which used sports rights to attract people to sign with that company. The ceo has said publicly that they’ve been able to attract more new customers due to bundling its services with the Optus sport channel.

They might have overpaid for those two sports but that’s where most of the subscribers come from & now they’ve got cricket to plug the summer content gap. 

Are subs at saturation point? I’d beg to differ, yes they have struggled to grow subs but when you look at the percentage of paytv users across the wider population, it’s very low. Just in the same way that Netflix has shown that they can grow subscribers in such large numbers for its service, I’d say it’s an issue with the model rather than the product.

It’s a double edged sword for football when it comes to Fox. We all complain about how we are bending over at all of Foxtel’s demands as a result of our deal & you all make very valid arguments about the positive impact of moving away from Fox BUT: They are the only mob willing to stump up $60m a season & nobody else is willing to go close. They’ve signaled that they believe they’ve overpaid & signaled that they won’t be going higher and scaling back its operation.

The sad reality is that SBS struggled to put $10m on the table in the previous deal for 1 game simulcast, the performance of the A-League on 10 was disastrous (yes conditions weren’t ideal to maximize potential) & nobody else is going to pay $60m + production costs a year, it highlights the precarious situation Australian Football finds itself when it comes to free to air television.

That’s assuming they even hold onto the NRL and AFL. Fox are hemorrhaging money and both codes will be expecting increased deals during the next negotiations. If someone else comes knocking I can’t see how they will compete.

On 28/06/2019 at 9:59 PM, hughsey said:

If someone else comes knocking

Very true, a YouTube or Facebook could enter the market out of the blue much like Optus did with EPL.

I don’t know, it’s such a big leap with the FTA channels unable to compete with Fox that leaves very few competitiora left.

Interesting side note, apparently Foxtel outsource the actual broadcast of the game who provide the live feed to Fox. They even wear fox sports clothing/bibs. Dispels the rumour that Foxtel only have the capability to produce/create the live feed for sports.

On 05/07/2019 at 7:06 AM, EmMac said:

NEP are sports production and broadcasters. They're the likely candidates

They do all a lot of the sports (and other production/broadcast) for all the TV providers (Fox, 10, 9, 7).  There are a few companies but NEP have the major sport contracts for A League, NRL, Afl at the moment.

That's why VAR is trying to emulate NRL bunker...  The feed goes into the Redfern studios and processed and then fed to various points for other commentary, VAR, and so on.  The main difference is the camera set up for the different sports.  The Camera and sound blokes with Foxtel jackets aren't Fox tel.

All the crew are NEP.  Any Fox will be off ground except for the on-ground commentary team.

Edited by BoyFromTheWest

This is only thread that I can put this in.

What a pity Mel McGlaughlin is on a the AFL puppets Channel. 

Nobody hates football like the AFL (and their puppets Seven)  so they put the Manchester United v Perth on their secondary channel and put Basheer on as commentator. Stan Lazaridis just didn't cut it either. 

So here's the article on Seven' s coverage

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/football/news/painful-channel-seven-slammed-for-manchester-united-coverage/fit4ovos15bzz5lwqifgws38

Geez that was the most dismal soccer game I have seen in a long while , 11 Perth glory players no further up the park then Perth penalty line every time he got touched Fornarolyroly fell down. Man U were content to play the ball across field and back just outside the Perth penalty box without trying to shoot thew the purple haze and only late when Perth ran out of puff did Man U start to take a few shots on goal. To top it off we watched in 1990s standard TV with worst set of commentators ever !!!!  they even made Robbie Slater look good.

10 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Games do nothing for the A League at all, read the Facebook comments just feeds the erosnob view...

You could pretty much copy all those comments & apply it to every glamour friendly played on our shores.

12 hours ago, Keithie said:

Geez that was the most dismal soccer game I have seen in a long while

Once you hear Basheer voice, it’s a death knell. Flabagasted how that guy still has a job in Football commentary. 

On 14/07/2019 at 6:50 AM, Paul01 said:

Nobody hates football like the AFL (and their puppets Seven)

Remember back when Channel 7 had the rights to was it either Australian domestic or international matches?  They then sat on them and televised bugger all.  Dark days indeed!

1 hour ago, Edinburgh said:

He can write the stories to suit us and give them to the "journalists" to publish. They don't have to do any actual journalism and we get what we want published.  Win win.

I doubt that's how it will work out but here's hoping

• mack locked this topic