Sign in to follow this  
mack

Football Media Discussion 2

3 minutes ago, mack said:

Bozza good. The rest, bad

I like Thompson, he is a bit of a character.

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

My issue with Thompson is that they keep using him in serious pre/halftime/post game discussions when he can't stop himself from making stupid bad jokes and showing a lack of preparation for the games they are covering. If he was just doing a mid-week panel show then sure, but he really brings down the discussion of important games. He's also just as biased to Victory as Slater, Harper & Ognevoski are to Sydney FC.

At least Speed is a commentator, Slater and Thompson add nothing to the coverage of a game.

What about Rushton? She’s improved out of sight as a host.

Speed is an idiot, some of the things he comes out with, also football is just an off season gig for him whilst NRL and AFL are on their breaks. Simon Hill and Bozza are about as good as it gets.

47 minutes ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

what of Hill and Peacock?

And Zelic. And Kossie

1 hour ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

what of Hill and Peacock?

Peacock wouldn't be included in "just" the football people, he probably has a regular full time contract as they use him in multiple sports. I think he does all their location tennis presenting for Wimbeldon/French Open/US Open for example.

Hill on the other hand. It could be that he & Harper are on the chopping block?

2 hours ago, btron3000 said:

At least Speed is a commentator, Slater and Thompson add nothing to the coverage of a game.

What about Rushton? She’s improved out of sight as a host.

She’s still no Lucy though 

4 minutes ago, mack said:

Peacock wouldn't be included in "just" the football people, he probably has a regular full time contract as they use him in multiple sports. I think he does all their location tennis presenting for Wimbeldon/French Open/US Open for example.

Hill on the other hand. It could be that he & Harper are on the chopping block?

Hill ...on the chopping block...! They would be crazy.

3 minutes ago, Erimus said:

Who needs Hill when you've got Speedie.......:(

47 minutes ago, Erimus said:

Yep. The best commentator in the country by a very wide margin.

46 minutes ago, Erimus said:

Speed is an idiot, some of the things he comes out with, also football is just an off season gig for him whilst NRL and AFL are on their breaks. Simon Hill and Bozza are about as good as it gets.

Speed’s biggest problem, like many commentators, is that he wants to comment on things other than the action in front of him. I reckon you could turn him into a good commentator by giving him one bit of advice (broken into two parts):

It’s not your job to make conversation.

So:

1.Don’t talk about rumours and possible transfers during the game, there’s enough of that crap during the week.

2. The guy next to you is the expert on tactics and player’s ability. You commentate and let him chime in when he’s got something to add. This extends to asking him questions. Don’t. It just makes his job harder if he’s thinking about something else or has a different reason to the one you propose.

Then give him some examples. e.g. if the game is open, just say “the games really opening up now”, don’t ask your co-commentator “do you think that substitution has impacted the space?”

Half a season and you’d see if he could adjust and improve.

7 minutes ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

character or cholera?

He's a character.

And instead of looking goofy and out of his depth, as he did when he first started out, he can now sound more analytical and insightful about games, as well as showing that he is a bit of a character.

Plus it's fantastic to see another indigenous face on our screens. He's good value all round.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, wendybr said:

He's a character.

And instead of looking goofy and out of his depth, as he did when he first started out, he can now sound more analytical and insightful about games, as well as showing that he is a bit of a character.

Plus it's fantastic to see another indigenous face on our screens. He's good value all round.

You spelled Nobhead wrong 

isnt he an anti-vaccine loon?

Edited by StringerBellend

Just now, 102megan said:

Gatty said in Twitter that Simon Hill is fine. 

What would we know? He's just a corporate stooge now. :P

5 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

You spelled Nobhead wrong 

isnt he an anti-vaccine loon?

No idea.

Is that relevant as to whether he is qualified to offer football commentary? :unknw:

During the game, they need to remember it's not radio - they don't have to fill the dead air. Sometimes silence is good.

There's been quite a few times last season when we couldn't take their stupid comments any more and muted the fox coverage.

17 minutes ago, homerj said:

During the game, they need to remember it's not radio - they don't have to fill the dead air. Sometimes silence is good.

There's been quite a few times last season when we couldn't take their stupid comments any more and muted the fox coverage.

I grew up listening to John Motson's commentary in the UK, he was the master of letting some dead air in at the right times, never felt the need to talk all the time. He was definitely a nerd and could kill you with stats, but always got the amount of talk right.

Fox losing Simon Hill would be almost as damaging as them losing the prem 

5 hours ago, sonar said:

My favourite bit of Ned Zelic commentary.....Junior RBB on screen.......Ned Zelic laughing...." how good would it be if they ripped a flare".............total silence from the other commentators.....lol

Well I think you mean Paul Okon.

Coached Daniel Wilmering who was a winger in u14s.

Paolo One is in our academy.

6 hours ago, sonar said:

My favourite bit of Ned Zelic commentary.....Junior RBB on screen.......Ned Zelic laughing...." how good would it be if they ripped a flare".............total silence from the other commentators.....lol

27 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Well I think you mean Paul Okon.

Coached Daniel Wilmering who was a winger in u14s.

Paolo One is in our academy.

Definetly Ned Zelic....was a game at Spotless.........not sure who it was against........Simon Hill was the other commentator I think. I watched the replay the next day I remember it because It made me laugh...lol

17 minutes ago, sonar said:

Definetly Ned Zelic....was a game at Spotless.........not sure who it was against........Simon Hill was the other commentator I think. I watched the replay the next day I remember it because It made me laugh...lol

Ok wrong game.

7 hours ago, sonar said:

Yeah I remember that too.  Was Zelic said it, no one else is nuts enough to make that kind of comment.  Has Zelic done any coaching?  I would interested to find out if he is a mad genius or just mad!

Okon sounded liked a bit of a sourpuss during his commentary of the WSW v Leeds game, always banging on about Wanderers needing to play possesion football.  I wonder if he is still bitter about how things went for him at the Mariners.

3 hours ago, LeeMarvin said:

Yeah I remember that too.  Was Zelic said it, no one else is nuts enough to make that kind of comment.  Has Zelic done any coaching?  I would interested to find out if he is a mad genius or just mad!

Okon sounded liked a bit of a sourpuss during his commentary of the WSW v Leeds game, always banging on about Wanderers needing to play possesion football.  I wonder if he is still bitter about how things went for him at the Mariners.

Or not being considered for the vacant wanderers job that went to Gombau