Football Media Discussion 2

Yeah to be honest I could not give a **** about the flares in the afl 

random event and I love a flare so who am I to condemn them 

I’m more concerned and think we should be when esfc continue to get double standards with stadium destruction and flares and nothing happens 

the issue with flares and our club is we went way over the top 

was the any media coverage from the flares in the street for Leeds games? As long as we keep it out of stadium I think the whole PC police have moved on 

probably in Minrority but I concur with what Wendy said 

Edited by GunnerWanderer

I'd be happy with the ffa/club owners seeking to and applying the same sanctions and penalties to our "trouble" supporters as they do to theirs and highlighting that its "the Australian way".

No bonus points or changed opinions by going in harder against our own.

4 minutes ago, alexd said:

I'd be happy with the ffa/club owners seeking to and applying the same sanctions and penalties to our "trouble" supporters as they do to theirs and highlighting that its "the Australian way".

No bonus points or changed opinions by going in harder against our own.

The reverse really, because then it's used as evidence against us - "look at the numbers of supporters banned!"

3 minutes ago, marron said:

The reverse really, because then it's used as evidence against us - "look at the numbers of supporters banned!"

That is the whole point- they seldom ever get banned for things we would do....

Edited by alexd
2 hours ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

Meanwhile, Foxtel are really doing all they can to pump up our 'summer of sokkah'

EFwaGuvUUAAnzGN?format=jpg&name=4096x409

That really, really shits me seeing that, talk about a slap in the face... I’ve been saying for a while now that I think Fox are completely screwing us over and are blaming the FFA for many factors that have been the result of Fox’s strict control over scheduling, KO times, expansion etc. How anyone can possibly keep saying that old: “if it wasn’t for Fox sports...” line after seeing this is beyond me.

On a slightly calmer and related note, has anyone else noticed that Optus are incorporating a lot more aleague into their content?? I could be way off here but I’m wondering if there’s something going on behind closed doors?

4 hours ago, LeeMarvin said:

They have one kid in their squad of 40 from the west & the poor lad hasn't played a single minute

You're now a member for knowing this information and posting about it.

3 hours ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

Meanwhile, Foxtel are really doing all they can to pump up our 'summer of sokkah'

Sokkah is represented by the orange haze behind the touring car.

That's a piss poor ad though. No mention of HAL is disgraceful

2 hours ago, GunnerWanderer said:

I’m more concerned and think we should be when esfc continue to get double standards with stadium destruction and flares and nothing happens 

was the any media coverage from the flares in the street for Leeds games? As long as we keep it out of stadium I think the whole PC police have moved on 

I would argue that the flares in and of themselves are not the issue.

It's the dominant cultural, social and political narrative that uses the dialectic of 'AFL larrikans with flares' versus 'rampant sokkah hooligan wogs with burn your arse off pyro recreating Hillsborough & raping and pillaging poor defenceless Anglo kiddies' that needs to be tackled, needs to be called out.

Frankly I don't care about what a bunch of toothless Victorians do in their streets, and it was great to see their club towel up those hapless dickstains from Manuka/Homebush. However when the continued story of how the two codes are put into opposing constructs of good and bad, right or wrong, a bit of fun or mass hooliganism, dinki-di true blue Aussies versus invading unAustralian wogs, then I'll lose my merde.

3 hours ago, GunnerWanderer said:

:good: I agree with your post ...in everything except that I don't share your appreciation of anything at all about flares.

But yes.. things went too far, and yes...I do think that the media backed off targeting football for every niggling misdemeanour.

Also, my sample  size is small, but I did discuss with numerous non football people the last rounds of "Sokkah hooligan" type negative press, and those I knew basically rolled their eyes and recognized it for the beat up it was.

15 minutes ago, hughsey said:

Tbh I think most sports fans and media personalities now are fairly aware of the bias towards football. The amount of times I heard: “imagine if this happened at the soccer” from non-football people during the peak of the AFL violence confirmed that.

Yep...this.

Good discussion between Adam Peacock and Markus Babbel on this week's Fox Football Pod. Playing career first, WSW focus starts around 33 mins in. I particularly enjoyed his thoughts on the youth players and their role in the team.

On most podcast apps or here: https://player.whooshkaa.com/shows/fox-football-podcast

8 hours ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

Take as a case in point the way the Manuka Midgets have been thrust into the limelight in recent weeks. This is a Victorian artifice with barely any real western Sydney relevance, put into our territory as a means to grow the AFL brand, popularise a sport that was alien to almost all westies, and enhance the value of the AFL as a TV broadcasting product. They have sucked on the tit of the ACT government to get games played in Canberra, they conned Blacktown Council for a huge investment in a ground that they then dumped in favour of Homebush (which was paid for by our state govt). One of their leading advocates is the state member for Penrith, their chairman is on the SCG board and wields huge influence in state government policy. They have one kid in their squad of 40 from the west & the poor lad hasn't played a single minute. Yet these frauds are now seen by many, including the nongs who have become part of the orange 'army' as somehow integrated into western Sydney, a representative of who we are.

Hello, what you say about the giants is mostly true.
But they are playing a long game and the afl are have the cash to do it.

This is a bit of an off topic rant, but...

Half one of my son's U11 soccer team this past 2 years have played aussie rules together on Sunday. Even at the junior level they are such a well oiled machine. I've got 2 boys. Both play soccer, and one plays both. It's such a contrast. You should see how well organized they are. Plus they do the extra things like Giants development coaches and players visit training (separately) multiple times a season, free tickets to games.
Kids with any talent are invited to try out for free development squads...

Back in my day, i played aussie rules as a westie high school kid (20 years ago), only because this was the only alternative on offer to thugby league.

This next generation are start to play to have fun with their mates, and are going to be hooked.

If only we (football) had the AFLs cash and long term vision.

Oh and don't get me started on how the aussie rules umpires don't take any b.s. from a player, coach, spectator, parent. 
It's how football should be.

<end of rant>
This season's return to Parra is critical for the Wanderers.

Edited by homerj
Operator error.
7 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

I suspect this and other articles or stories etc are as a result of the FFA restrictions/controls no longer being applied 

More Gatty I think.

And f**** FTBL with Smurf lover Kevin Airs being the main interviewer.

Girls Academy teams looks a real possibility in the future.

7 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

More Gatty I think.

And f**** FTBL with Smurf lover Kevin Airs being the main interviewer.

Girls Academy teams looks a real possibility in the future.

I also suspect Gatty's position wouldn't have been worthwhile before this season due to the aforementioned restrictions. 

16 hours ago, Carns said:

Good discussion between Adam Peacock and Markus Babbel on this week's Fox Football Pod. Playing career first, WSW focus starts around 33 mins in. I particularly enjoyed his thoughts on the youth players and their role in the team.

On most podcast apps or here: https://player.whooshkaa.com/shows/fox-football-podcast

Most interesting is his take on Keanu Baccus. Babbel really rates him and based on his words another solid season and Baccus could be off Overseas.

1 minute ago, pseudonym said:

Football might even get a mention in the sports section of the ABC news on the odd occasion? Or more likely not!

Despite my cynicism, that's welcome news. Here's hoping it's a real boon to our game.

12 minutes ago, pseudonym said:

It must have been through the ABC NSL telecast that I first became interested in Australian Soccer in the early 80s.  

I hope they don't use Paul Wade for commentary though.  His whiney, wussy English accent on the radio really gets on my nerves.

1 hour ago, LeeMarvin said:

It must have been through the ABC NSL telecast that I first became interested in Australian Soccer in the early 80s.  

I hope they don't use Paul Wade for commentary though.  His whiney, wussy English accent on the radio really gets on my nerves.

I'd take Wade over Speedie any day of the week !!