Football Media Discussion 2

4 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

I'd take Wade over Speedie any day of the week !!

He is a legend in Australian football and seems like a really nice guy.  Maybe that is what annoys me.  Wish he had a bit more mongrel about him when he was Socceroos captain. Still have vivid memories of that Argentina game with Maradona.

2 hours ago, LeeMarvin said:

It must have been through the ABC NSL telecast that I first became interested in Australian Soccer in the early 80s.  

I hope they don't use Paul Wade for commentary though.  His whiney, wussy English accent on the radio really gets on my nerves.

Don't really care who commentates (although it can influence the enjoyment of a game somewhat).

I'm just really glad it's happening. :woah:

2 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

I'd take Wade over Speedie any day of the week !!

I'd take the desiccated corpse of Bill Collins trying to draw parallels between the movie 'How Green is my Valley' and a Western United vs Wellington Phoenix Rudan Derby rather than listening to Speedie, Harper, Slater & a few other nongs that seem to hang around sokkah commentary in this commentary like a blowfly on a dag-encrusted merino sheep's arse.

I once played against Slater in an over 35s summer comp around 15 years ago and he came across as very entitled and arrogant. Not very pleasant at all.  So my opinion of him has always been coloured by that encounter tbh. Although I guess like anyone he could just have been having a bad day. A similar era player , Dave Mitchell, was also in the same comp and he couldn't have been a nicer guy.

Edited by beatsurrender
5 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

Football might even get a mention in the sports section of the ABC news on the odd occasion? Or more likely not!

Despite my cynicism, that's welcome news. Here's hoping it's a real boon to our game.

They've been reporting on FFA Cup results (at least on the TV breakfast program) for the last few rounds at least. I'd imagine they will cross promote it pretty heavily (which is a good thing).

4 hours ago, LeeMarvin said:

I hope they don't use Paul Wade for commentary though.  His whiney, wussy English accent on the radio really gets on my nerves.

Pretty sure they are just using the Fox feed with Fox commentators (for better or worse).

32 minutes ago, Carns said:

They've been reporting on FFA Cup results (at least on the TV breakfast program) for the last few rounds at least. I'd imagine they will cross promote it pretty heavily (which is a good thing).

Pretty sure they are just using the Fox feed with Fox commentators (for better or worse).

Despite the negativity here towards the Fox ccommentators, I'd be happy with that...esp if it's Simon Hill and Harps commentating.

13 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Despite the negativity here towards the Fox ccommentators, I'd be happy with that...esp if it's Simon Hill and Harps commentating.

Simon Hill usually does the main game, which would be the 7:50pm fixture. Which may mean we get more of your Speed's rather than Hill's, but I agree the Fox product overall is good (it'll be interesting though, considering ABC's charter re: advertising what they do with pop up ads etc. that may be used in the Fox feed - not sure if they can get a feed without the ads?).

17 minutes ago, Carns said:

Simon Hill usually does the main game, which would be the 7:50pm fixture. Which may mean we get more of your Speed's rather than Hill's, but I agree the Fox product overall is good (it'll be interesting though, considering ABC's charter re: advertising what they do with pop up ads etc. that may be used in the Fox feed - not sure if they can get a feed without the ads?).

So it's the first game they'll show?

In that case, you're right!

4 minutes ago, wendybr said:

So it's the first game they'll show?

In that case, you're right!

Yep, they're broadcasting all the Saturday 5pm games. Fox wanted to keep their marquee fixture (which is fair enough considering they're stumping up the costs etc.).

There was talk that there would be some fixture changes due to the Nux currently having a lot of the 5pm games (due to a favourable time difference for night time kick offs for them) and it will change so that more Aussie teams play in that slot.

18 minutes ago, Carns said:

Yep, they're broadcasting all the Saturday 5pm games. Fox wanted to keep their marquee fixture (which is fair enough considering they're stumping up the costs etc.).

There was talk that there would be some fixture changes due to the Nux currently having a lot of the 5pm games (due to a favourable time difference for night time kick offs for them) and it will change so that more Aussie teams play in that slot.

the club already released a statement that some of the game times have changed because of this.

1 hour ago, Carns said:

Okay. I only watch the 7pm news and a mention of football* there is almost as scarce as hen's teeth.

*And they don't call it football when it is mentioned!

2 hours ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

Michael Lynch has us as finishing 5th this season in his HAL preview

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/the-a-league-is-ready-to-kick-off-with-plenty-of-changes-20191001-p52wk0.html

Love to think we can do better, especially considering how he's rated the smurfs so high.

Perth replaced Keogh with Fornaroli and their biggest loss apart from that was Davidson who couldn't finish a hot dinner when it counted and that drops them from 1st last year to 3rd? While Sydney bought in a bunch of middling replacements and stayed 2nd? 

4 minutes ago, mack said:

Perth replaced Keogh with Fornaroli and their biggest loss apart from that was Davidson who couldn't finish a hot dinner when it counted and that drops them from 1st last year to 3rd? While Sydney bought in a bunch of middling replacements and stayed 2nd? 

Colangelo co-wrote it and think he's partial to the smurfs.

Lynchy is pretty much on teh straight & narrow. More time for him than almost anyone else in print sokkah medja

33 minutes ago, mack said:

They lost or got rid of a lot of CBs so I reckon they drop down even further 

I watched Offsiders this morning (I normally don't, considering its heavy AFL bias).

I watched because this was the first episode since they won the free to air rights.

It was an NRL based panel, which is fair enough considering it is GF day. Panelists were Roy Masters, Andrew Moore and that Irish rugby union lady whose name escapes me.

What pissed me off was that in the 90 seconds at the end of the show that they had a chance to promote their newly acquired sport, they criticized it. Andrew Moore, 702's prime RL caller spent more time talking up the NBL than he did the A-League. Criticized our draw, and the fact that our new team, WU, were being sent to Wellington for their first home game, while the NBL's new team (I didn't even know they had one) had a home game first and sold it out.

Wouldn't one think that they would try and say something at least remotely positive about our sport?

Even Kellie Underwood (the host and an AFL tragic), could hardly bring herself to mention the new coverage, and just referred to the new deal as "All things football will be covered." I'm so sick of the ABC's Victorian bias when it comes to sport. One only has to watch ABC 24 to see this.

Hardly a bright start and ringing endorsement of this new contract.

19 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

I watched Offsiders this morning (I normally don't, considering its heavy AFL bias).

I watched because this was the first episode since they won the free to air rights.

It was an NRL based panel, which is fair enough considering it is GF day. Panelists were Roy Masters, Andrew Moore and that Irish rugby union lady whose name escapes me.

What pissed me off was that in the 90 seconds at the end of the show that they had a chance to promote their newly acquired sport, they criticized it. Andrew Moore, 702's prime RL caller spent more time talking up the NBL than he did the A-League. Criticized our draw, and the fact that our new team, WU, were being sent to Wellington for their first home game, while the NBL's new team (I didn't even know they had one) had a home game first and sold it out.

Wouldn't one think that they would try and say something at least remotely positive about our sport?

Even Kellie Underwood (the host and an AFL tragic), could hardly bring herself to mention the new coverage, and just referred to the new deal as "All things football will be covered." I'm so sick of the ABC's Victorian bias when it comes to sport. One only has to watch ABC 24 to see this.

Hardly a bright start and ringing endorsement of this new contract.

Obviously they had not been briefed.

Postecoglou used to an irregular guest.

Waleed Ali is on more regularly as is David Davutovic which changes the tone.

Of late, there has been mostly criticism over the Mens and Womens World Cup Performance plus the Stajcic problem.

• mack locked this topic