Football Media Discussion 2

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

Was Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks on grandstand for me and I’m guessing @MartinTyler and @Smoggy

Indeed..wrestling was MASSIVE in the 70's and early 80's in the UK. A little before my time but can certainly remember big daddy and giant haystacks, they were really big celebrities in their day. This wrestling was VERY British in style and would be nothing like the American or Australian versions of those times. It was very British seaside resort end of pier show slap stick stuff, those from the UK will know what i mean by that.

It was the little old lady pensioners that used to go to the live shows and scream for people like Big Daddy to get stuck in :D But the whole nation tuned in.

Edited by Smoggy
47 minutes ago, sonar said:

Yep....From memory it was on Sat and Sun on CH 9 at midday. ( those were the days when TV shut down at midnight.....! lol ) 

Channel 9 line up in the 70s on a Saturday morning was something like this:

8am-11am: Hey Hey It's Saturday

11am-11.30am: Joe the Gadget Man

11.30am-12.00pm: Clarence the Clocker (review of the day's horse races)

12pm -1.00pm: World Championship Wrestling with the likes of Milano, Arion, Haystacks Calhoun, Skull Murphy, Mark Lewin, Brute Bernard, Larry O'Dea, Mr Fuji etc

Great days lol

5 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Was Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks on grandstand for me and I’m guessing @MartinTyler and @Smoggy

Wrestling was always on ITV (World of Sports) at 4pm from what I can remember, usually up against the second half of a Roogby League game on BBC's Grandstand. I remember those 2 as well as Mick McManus and the Hells Angels tag team !!

4 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

Wrestling was always on ITV (World of Sports) at 4pm from what I can remember, usually up against the second half of a Roogby League game on BBC's Grandstand. I remember those 2 as well as Mick McManus and the Hells Angels tag team !!

Ah yes, Eddie Waring. "Aye, aye and that's an up and underrrrrrrr".....

..and Giant Haystacks real name was 'Shirley'...

Edited by beatsurrender
6 hours ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

Channel 9 line up in the 70s on a Saturday morning was something like this:

8am-11am: Hey Hey It's Saturday

11am-11.30am: Joe the Gadget Man

11.30am-12.00pm: Clarence the Clocker (review of the day's horse races)

12pm -1.00pm: World Championship Wrestling with the likes of Milano, Arion, Haystacks Calhoun, Skull Murphy, Mark Lewin, Brute Bernard, Larry O'Dea, Mr Fuji etc

Great days lol

Great days indeed Manfred!! I was glued to the tele along with my siblings for all of Saturday! Mum used to yell at us (she's a quiet lady actually and always has been) to get up and help her do the house work. I used to help by lifting up my legs when she was vacuuming, and repositioning the bright orange bean bag I was flopped in, so she could vacuum under that.

Not much has changed in a generation. I now ask the kids for help while I'm doing the housework and they do exactly the same thing I used to do. The only difference is that they are now watching Netflix, not Clarence the Clocker or Joe the Gadget Man. 

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

6 minutes ago, mack said:

Went from Saturday 5:15 to Sunday 16 6:30pm.

Awful decision.

I read somewhere it's because they have more than 2 players in national team squads during the international window. Mullet and Wiggle with the Angry. Reserve keeper with the Olyroos and one player in the u17 world cup.

This was the Smurfs following the protocol since the A-league plays through international breaks.

40 minutes ago, marron said:

Controversial? Notorious? Members storming the streets? With that kind of description I'm surprised we've been left to the riot squad and that the military hasn't been called in.

1 minute ago, SomeGuy1977 said:

Controversial? Notorious? Members storming the streets? With that kind of description I'm surprised we've been left to the riot squad and that the military hasn't been called in.

Good to see the ABC promoting the A League isn’t it

17 minutes ago, SBW said:

Seems fair but I am not sure about this "The group has been violent"

when has the RBB ever been violent? :ninja:

I thought you knew. Everytime you rip a flare, violence ensues and chaos reigns but when you punch on, like in the 'AFL', you're a larrikin.

Reporting has always been different for football vs the other sports.

22 minutes ago, Jukes75 said:

I thought you knew. Everytime you rip a flare, violence ensues and chaos reigns but when you punch on, like in the 'AFL', you're a larrikin.

Reporting has always been different for football vs the other sports.

Isn’t it nice to see correlation of the RBB & the mafia via the word ‘capo’...

• mack locked this topic