Football Media Discussion 2

On 04/12/2019 at 9:10 PM, StringerBellend said:

Interesting to see amazon prime taking some premier league games in the UK sky/foxtel model is a dinosaur 

Challenge for FFA is jump to early to streaming only and you lose exposure and a Fcked jump too late and you go down with the titanic 

it’s fine though as the FFA and A League are lead by highly intelligent experts so it’s all cool 

The FFA/HAL should be getting their affairs in order to try and establish some sort of deal beyond the the current one because once the current NRL/AFL deals expire the **** is gonna hit the fan in rights land...

Reports suggesting Fox will not bid for the final round of World Cup qualifiers. These games, I'm pretty sure, are separate to the current broadcast deal as they're controlled by Lagadere.

19 minutes ago, SBW said:

Yep, read Optus might be interested that not only will they broadcast Socceroos games but also other Asian WCQ games which seems like a much better deal

You gotta link to where it suggests the second part? I agree, would be much better. Eng comms on those games would be an issue tho

• 3 weeks later...

So, anyone else see the Bossi article on the big moments in football for the past decade? Domestically his notables are as follows: The rise of the Matildas and the women's game in general - check, the Socceroos qualifying for every world cup and winning the 2015 Asian cup - check, the rise and fall and rise of Ange - check.....and that's it. Then it's off overseas.  No mention of the greatest achievement ever by a local club in winning the ACL in 2014, not to mention the premiership win at the first attempt. Now i don't want to live in the past but this is a historical look at the local game over the last decade. Seriously this bloke really doesn't like us much, does he? Twat

Football agent Paddy Dominguez says the A-League must move on from its ‘archaic’ transfer system and create a new economy if it wants to grow and compete with other leagues across the globe.

Dominguez, who has been a player agent for 30 years and has brokered deals for the likes of Aaron Mooy and Jamie MacLaren, told Fox Football Podcast host Adam Peacock that the A-League needs to create a financial transfer set up that gives players a dollar value — rather than just in-house swaps with zero fees.

If the competition wants to be recognised on a global scale by potential international suitors who are hoping to poach talent from Australian shores, Dominguez has urged the A-League to step up its game in regards to the transfer system itself.

“It’s about creating an economy,” he said.

“Initially the thought process behind creating the A-League was to centralise everything and to put a salary cap on to give us a stable base to grow from rather than just allowing people to spend as much money as they want and create haves and have-nots very quickly. It’s also to make the clubs sustainable in the early days. You could look back now in hindsight and say that maybe that didn’t work because the owners have racked up a lot of losses.

“The intentions were good, but it’s now at a stage where it needs to create an economy of football. At the moment there is no financial transfers between clubs so we’re back to an archaic barter system where two teams in the A-League have to agree to swap players.

“Traditionally when two clubs wants to swap players they have a dollar value on them, maybe it’s a player plus cash, but you can’t do that in the A-League.”

Remarkably, Riley McGree’s transfer from Club Brugge to Adelaide United was the very first fee paid by an A-League club for a player.

Dominguez claims Aussie clubs are, in fact, ‘business-minded’ and says transfers like this will be - and should become - more frequent.

“If a player like Riley (McGree) can improve significantly over a year or two then they’ll (A-League clubs) get an offer and they may even make a profit on that investment,” Dominguez said.

“It’s sheer investment for them but at the same time they get a good player.

“Australia, for all intents and purposes, is an export market. Every young player in this country if you speak to them in a park or wherever they’re kicking a football and you ask them of their dream, it’s to go and play in Europe. If I got to Brazil and I speak to a kid in a park in Brazil then it’s the same dream there — they all want to go to Europe and play at the top-end of football.

“You have to become good at being an export market. Firstly you need a local economy I believe which can kickstart it and then from there it will grow because you’ll start to have actual dollar values on people. To build it, you just need to get it started and get it started soon.

“You have to become good at being an export market. Firstly you need a local economy I believe which can kickstart it and then from there it will grow because you’ll start to have actual dollar values on people. To build it, you just need to get it started and get it started soon.

“With the A-League they’re talking about creating a transfer system in Australia and that will build that economy.”

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1/article/amp/football/a-league/football-aleague-transfer-news-podcast-listen-watch-analysis-paddy-dominguez-adam-peacock-riley-mcgree/news-story/0688612575a331f5f14cff66daf62931

4 hours ago, beatsurrender said:
Football agent Paddy Dominguez says the A-League must move on from its ‘archaic’ transfer system and create a new economy if it wants to grow and compete with other leagues across the globe.

Dominguez, who has been a player agent for 30 years and has brokered deals for the likes of Aaron Mooy and Jamie MacLaren, told Fox Football Podcast host Adam Peacock that the A-League needs to create a financial transfer set up that gives players a dollar value — rather than just in-house swaps with zero fees.

If the competition wants to be recognised on a global scale by potential international suitors who are hoping to poach talent from Australian shores, Dominguez has urged the A-League to step up its game in regards to the transfer system itself.

“It’s about creating an economy,” he said.

“Initially the thought process behind creating the A-League was to centralise everything and to put a salary cap on to give us a stable base to grow from rather than just allowing people to spend as much money as they want and create haves and have-nots very quickly. It’s also to make the clubs sustainable in the early days. You could look back now in hindsight and say that maybe that didn’t work because the owners have racked up a lot of losses.

“The intentions were good, but it’s now at a stage where it needs to create an economy of football. At the moment there is no financial transfers between clubs so we’re back to an archaic barter system where two teams in the A-League have to agree to swap players.

“Traditionally when two clubs wants to swap players they have a dollar value on them, maybe it’s a player plus cash, but you can’t do that in the A-League.”

Remarkably, Riley McGree’s transfer from Club Brugge to Adelaide United was the very first fee paid by an A-League club for a player.

Dominguez claims Aussie clubs are, in fact, ‘business-minded’ and says transfers like this will be - and should become - more frequent.

“If a player like Riley (McGree) can improve significantly over a year or two then they’ll (A-League clubs) get an offer and they may even make a profit on that investment,” Dominguez said.

“It’s sheer investment for them but at the same time they get a good player.

“Australia, for all intents and purposes, is an export market. Every young player in this country if you speak to them in a park or wherever they’re kicking a football and you ask them of their dream, it’s to go and play in Europe. If I got to Brazil and I speak to a kid in a park in Brazil then it’s the same dream there — they all want to go to Europe and play at the top-end of football.

“With the A-League they’re talking about creating a transfer system in Australia and that will build that economy.”

What a shock Agent (based on commission) says there should be transfer fees.  

Listened to the pod Decent listen but to be honest Bozza has been talking about this for years hardly earth shattering news and anyone with half a football brain knows the good to come of it. 

also the journo who wrote that obviously never knew about Carlos Hernandez one of the leagues all time great showman. 
victory paid close to 700k for a xfer fee for him - journos here give me the shits so lazy 

Introducing domestic player values will also stop clubs being ripped off with piss take level transfer coming in from OS clubs. 

Sydney receiving a mere $250-300k for the impending transfer of O’Neil is a joke...

2 hours ago, hughsey said:

Sydney receiving a mere $250-300k for the impending transfer of O’Neil is a joke...

Is it though? I realistically think that he probably isn’t worth a great deal as a player. He hasn’t got a resale value, short contract & I think for a player being shopped out to below the championship then it’s probably fair.

Got to remember that the values paid for transfers in Europe, especially England are inflated. Grossly inflated.

If you said at the time 3 million for Juric was fair no one would argue with you, majority of the time it’s about how well the team and player are doing Juric and wsw has massive profile at the time. Now he’s two steps away from being Bulut.

300k for O’Neill seems a little cheap I would say 500k for a good A-League plater is fair value... but his end of day his a ginger hair twerp 😝

On 10/01/2020 at 10:45 AM, Prydzopolis said:

Is it though? I realistically think that he probably isn’t worth a great deal as a player. He hasn’t got a resale value, short contract & I think for a player being shopped out to below the championship then it’s probably fair.

Got to remember that the values paid for transfers in Europe, especially England are inflated. Grossly inflated.

They may be grossly inflated but it’s still the same economy that we are all part of. For too long we’ve been getting screwed over in Australia. Realistically, are Sydney going to spend 250-300k and get the same guaranteed quality? I don’t think so

8 hours ago, beatsurrender said:

I usually enjoy the Guardian’s coverage but Christ, what a pompous article. “This thing that should be fun is bringing people too much fun.” Seriously, part of what makes the Aleague great is it’s utter insanity. 

Give me Matt Simon thrashing home a penalty in the 95 or whatever minute it was or Graham Arnold demanding an apology on live TV over the boring sanitised product of the top leagues any day.

7 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Maybe but Johnathon Howcroft is a fantastic journo & it isn’t a bad yarn

I thought so too when I started to read it and he mentioned embarrassing things like the goals on wheels at CCM as "peak e league". Plus the quality of his words.

But when he included genuine drama worth using to promote football, such as the end of CCM's match against MV last round, as being peak a league, he lost me. 

Here come the cuts at Fox Sports. Got to love the rugby establishment, keeping Phil Kearns in a job:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/top-rugby-host-sacked-on-eve-of-super-rugby-launch-20200123-p53tyi.html

Now we just have to wait until they announce the A-League cuts at the end of the season. I suspect the A-League and general football operation is already pretty lean (and the W-ALeague even leaner), but some will no doubt lose out in some way.

On 18/01/2020 at 11:13 AM, Edinburgh said:

What a great read...so much in common. I think anyone from the north of England and over 40 can relate to how he started going to games with his dad and male members of his family and the packed terraces.

I started going to see Northern Spirit and then Parra Power also lol As there was only usually around 50 of us at Power games no doubt i have stood near him at some point lol

17 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

What a great read...so much in common. I think anyone from the north of England and over 40 can relate to how he started going to games with his dad and male members of his family and the packed terraces.

I started going to see Northern Spirit and then Parra Power also lol As there was only usually around 50 of us at Power games no doubt i have stood near him at some point lol

I gotta say, you popped into my mind more than once while I read the interview.

• mack locked this topic