mack

Football Media Discussion 2

7 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Maybe but Johnathon Howcroft is a fantastic journo & it isn’t a bad yarn

I thought so too when I started to read it and he mentioned embarrassing things like the goals on wheels at CCM as "peak e league". Plus the quality of his words.

But when he included genuine drama worth using to promote football, such as the end of CCM's match against MV last round, as being peak a league, he lost me. 

Here come the cuts at Fox Sports. Got to love the rugby establishment, keeping Phil Kearns in a job:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/top-rugby-host-sacked-on-eve-of-super-rugby-launch-20200123-p53tyi.html

Now we just have to wait until they announce the A-League cuts at the end of the season. I suspect the A-League and general football operation is already pretty lean (and the W-ALeague even leaner), but some will no doubt lose out in some way.

On 18/01/2020 at 11:13 AM, Edinburgh said:

What a great read...so much in common. I think anyone from the north of England and over 40 can relate to how he started going to games with his dad and male members of his family and the packed terraces.

I started going to see Northern Spirit and then Parra Power also lol As there was only usually around 50 of us at Power games no doubt i have stood near him at some point lol

17 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

What a great read...so much in common. I think anyone from the north of England and over 40 can relate to how he started going to games with his dad and male members of his family and the packed terraces.

I started going to see Northern Spirit and then Parra Power also lol As there was only usually around 50 of us at Power games no doubt i have stood near him at some point lol

I gotta say, you popped into my mind more than once while I read the interview.

31 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

I gotta say, you popped into my mind more than once while I read the interview.

I think we are very lucky to have Simon Hill, I think he is brilliant. Commentary and knowledge of the game.

7 hours ago, Burgerman said:

Got good air on '7' news.  Also sounded like someone behind the scenes actually understands how to get people into the ground - perhaps the new guy in charge?  He and others spoke about getting key personalities from various cultures in Sydney in order to attract broad interest.

Would seem that the way forward for Oz Football is to develop connections into the broad range of cultures and people that call Oz home.  Perhaps, as others have suggested, we need to broaden our reach into other parts of Asia and focus on some of the talent there and connect with these cultures in Oz?

36 minutes ago, mack said:

That's the thing about Arsenal, they always try to walk it in.

if it gets rid of office kopites then not talking about my other footy would be a small price to pay 

Apparently Lopar now plays for Western United! And the piece wasn’t even written by the flog Bossi (unless the SMH got that wrong too). My kingdom for just one flippin decent football writer in this country.

“Lopar was Western’s saviour several times at the start of the second period when he saved from Steven Ugarkovic, Ben Kantarovski and Jason Hoffman in short order after Hoffman had earlier missed a gilt-edged chance.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/jets-dominate-but-western-cling-on-for-a-point-20200201-p53wvq.html

1 hour ago, VedranRozic said:

Apparently Lopar now plays for Western United! And the piece wasn’t even written by the flog Bossi (unless the SMH got that wrong too). My kingdom for just one flippin decent football writer in this country.

“Lopar was Western’s saviour several times at the start of the second period when he saved from Steven Ugarkovic, Ben Kantarovski and Jason Hoffman in short order after Hoffman had earlier missed a gilt-edged chance.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/jets-dominate-but-western-cling-on-for-a-point-20200201-p53wvq.html

Nothing new with journalism these days, it's a common thing of not getting the facts right.

Looks like Hyundai will not be renewing their $6M PA sponsorship deal with the HAL. That's a massive hit to the finances. After Foxtel they are the biggest contributors of income to the league. With attendances dropping (average badly impacted by Western United) and TV ratings in free fall then the league has that death spiral look about it. Need something positive soon.

Edited by beatsurrender

Once again this smacks in the face of all those people who laughed at the last TV deal saying how bad it was

in hindsight it May have been the one master strokes of the FFA to rip Foxtel off on the deal 

next tv deal Foxtel are likely to say thanks but no thanks 

A-League is in strife make no mistakes about it 

1 hour ago, GunnerWanderer said:

Once again this smacks in the face of all those people who laughed at the last TV deal saying how bad it was

in hindsight it May have been the one master strokes of the FFA to rip Foxtel off on the deal 

next tv deal Foxtel are likely to say thanks but no thanks 

A-League is in strife make no mistakes about it 

Foxtel will be offering nowt for another TV deal. They are already cost cutting and they do all the outside broadcasts too, so they will be looking to reduce those costs for sure. The ratings are in the toilet (unless Kayo numbers are through the roof). Any neutral watching the CCM v WSW game last Sunday would have been far from impressed.

Therefore assuming Foxtel do not renew their support where do those millions come from? Is the league self sustainable? Will SBS step back in?  Maybe Optus will see it as an add-on to their EPL coverage etc.

One thing for sure is that the league as we know it now is in serious financial strife. Worst case scenario it collapses and gets rebranded as a semi-professional league akin to the old NSL. For whatever reason it has failed to make any inroads into the mainstream market dominated here by rugby league, cricket and aussie rules football. Even rugby union has more of a mainstream interest than 'soccer'. Clubs need to be organic and become part of the fabric of local community and these footholds are already taken, in the main,by professional clubs of other codes. We need more time to build this. We may not get it.

Edited by beatsurrender

Don't undermine the Lowy family's sour milk / influence factor here. They were shamed and now it will be payback...

Sell our souls to the middle east (Etihad, Qatar anything). As much as I dislike the idea in principle, it would be the only level of sponsorship which can save our sport in this country (incl. NT, 2nd div, youth development).

37 minutes ago, beatsurrender said:

Foxtel will be offering nowt for another TV deal. They are already cost cutting and they do all the outside broadcasts too, so they will be looking to reduce those costs for sure. The ratings are in the toilet (unless Kayo numbers are through the roof). Any neutral watching the CCM v WSW game last Sunday would have been far from impressed.

Therefore assuming Foxtel do not renew their support where do those millions come from? Is the league self sustainable? Will SBS step back in?  Maybe Optus will see it as an add-on to their EPL coverage etc.

One thing for sure is that the league as we know it now is in serious financial strife. Worst case scenario it collapses and gets rebranded as a semi-professional league akin to the old NSL. For whatever reason it has failed to make any inroads into the mainstream market dominated here by rugby league, cricket and aussie rules football. Even rugby union has more of a mainstream interest than 'soccer'. Clubs need to be organic and become part of the fabric of local community and these footholds are already taken, in the main,by professional clubs of other codes. We need more time to build this. We may not get it.

50,000 for a big blue in season 2 compared to 17,000 just recently. You have to look into the mistakes between then and now as to why it has fallen apart. Hard rules on actives is a massive one but also never taking the opportunity to provide change such as the 2015 AFC cup FFA failed to take advantage of the momentum made, plus the failed world cup bid cost us with government are few that I can think of.

The support is there but the people running the sport have found multiple ways to keep people from coming to the games

The biggest problem for me is that the A-League has no autonomy to grow or develop properly and that’s now becoming apparent and a real problem.

For the past 15 years, every commercial and tv deal that’s been done has just reeked of desperation to simply secure a lump sum of money to get by season to season. It sounds fine from the outset but in reality, the FFA have effectively sold our soul and made us a slave to all these groups. 

Fox have basically throttled the league to the point where we can’t do anything to move forward cause they just say no. Many of the of the commercial deals we have seem to completely stitch us up and make it hard to negotiate or plan for any additional/further deals. Perfect example is Hyundai not allowing any other car manufacturers to sponsor for a while there. 

I understand that when companies pay money they get a say but not to the degree that the FFA has allowed. We are completely passive and have been for too long which just gets us completely railroaded.

We need a new strategy. The desperate cash grabs have been a big contributor to why we are in this position right now. Can either keep chasing the money without regard for logistics, or we take a bit of a hit but look for opportunity and autonomy which for me is the only thing that is going change this vicious cycle.

What the A-League should be after 15 years:

• Every pre-expansion club owning a youth academy, club offices and a licensed club venue, attached to a mini/boutique stadium which depending on size, could be used for A-League/FFA Cup, or W-League/NPL matches.

What the A-League has spent the last 15 years doing:

• Wasting millions on marquees because Fox Sports wants them.

8 minutes ago, mack said:

What the A-League should be after 15 years:

• Every pre-expansion club owning a youth academy, club offices and a licensed club venue, attached to a mini/boutique stadium which depending on size, could be used for A-League/FFA Cup, or W-League/NPL matches.

What the A-League has spent the last 15 years doing:

• Wasting millions on marquees because Fox Sports wants them.

Because in the main businessmen and marketers have been running the game. We absolutely have become reliant on sponsors. The way we cosied up to mainstream media around the time of the bans/Rebecca Wilson signalled the beginning of the end. We were so desperate to appease mainstream media (for what end) so reliant on adopting Australian ('family friendly') sporting models, that we lost sight of why the game is so popular everywhere in the world. We so much wanted the approval of people who didn't care anyway 

2 hours ago, beatsurrender said:

Because in the main businessmen and marketers have been running the game. We absolutely have become reliant on sponsors. The way we cosied up to mainstream media around the time of the bans/Rebecca Wilson signalled the beginning of the end. We were so desperate to appease mainstream media (for what end) so reliant on adopting Australian ('family friendly') sporting models, that we lost sight of why the game is so popular everywhere in the world. We so much wanted the approval of people who didn't care anyway 

And now we've lost the approval of so many that did care!

Football Federation Australia is staring at a $15 million black hole if Hyundai joins a growing number of sponsors in severing ties with Australian soccer - but a sports marketing expert does not believe the situation represents an existential threat to the code.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/ffa-faces-15m-shortfall-but-experts-say-it-s-not-panic-stations-20200204-p53xrg.html

“What the FFA's got to do a better job of is selling the value of its product, and helping sponsors tap into the power of the sport.”

RMIT associate professor Con Stavros

I think everyone knows that the FFA need to do this except the FFA... It’s time to have some healthy arrogance and stop being simply grateful that sponsors will give us some money.

12 hours ago, hughsey said:

“What the FFA's got to do a better job of is selling the value of its product, and helping sponsors tap into the power of the sport.”

RMIT associate professor Con Stavros

I think everyone knows that the FFA need to do this except the FFA... It’s time to have some healthy arrogance and stop being simply grateful that sponsors will give us some money.

Wow, who would have thought the governing body of a sport and it's top tier league would need to do a better job of selling the value of it's product and help sponsors tap into the power of the sport.

Lol.

The FFA couldn't tap the fans into the power of the sport.