mack

Football Media Discussion 2

It is absolutely inevitable I think us leaving fox sports. I absolutely hold onto the theory that majority of their tv football audience left when EPL went to Optus. You still get sold out Sydney derbies with no marketing  but a rating under 100,000 on fox for the game which means people are not watching A-league on foxsports, and are starting to use old mates Foxtel Go accounts, Kayo or My football app which isn't counted. 

Going to Optus as many people suggest means we will be getting cost cut from the $56 Million plus extras that Foxsports  paid. I think $40 million a season may be the best case scenario with Optus 

40 million may be ambitious the way it’s going might be half that 

Optus can just say we aren’t interested even if they are any Executive over there would  smell the desperation miles away by now 

I'm not sure why people seem to assume we are going to be picked up by Optus. I think that is far from a certainty. Hopefully it won't come down the situation the NBL found itself in where they had to pay a broadcaster to show their games!

Meanwhile - a positive article

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/feb/10/moments-of-joy-offer-australian-football-window-into-happiness-revolution#comment-138091348

Thanks Beat, missed that, it was a good read.:)

1 hour ago, beatsurrender said:

I'm not sure why people seem to assume we are going to be picked up by Optus. I think that is far from a certainty. Hopefully it won't come down the situation the NBL found itself in where they had to pay a broadcaster to show their games!

Talk of Optus comes from club insiders!!

We are half way there to be honest, we currently allow ABC to broadcast the A-aleague for free!

2 hours ago, beatsurrender said:

Meanwhile - a positive article

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/feb/10/moments-of-joy-offer-australian-football-window-into-happiness-revolution#comment-138091348

I read that and decided to click on the dead parrot sketch* link - before it started there was an ad - for the movie "H is for Happiness"!!

* I hope Simon Hill's related gag was funnier than the sketch!

Just finished listening to today's Fox Football Podcast with Adam Peacock Hosting Robbie Slater and Dean Heffernan.

Today Slater got on a high horse and he is actually right. Go and have a listen.

At the end, Dean Heffernan said there was one rule for teams with Matilda's (Melbourne City, Sydney FC and Brisbane) and not for the Wanderers with the rescheduling of W-league games this round. The FFA didn't move our Round 1 match (against Adelaide) at the end of an international break so Amy Harrison played 2 games in 48 hours and we didn't have Lynn Williams and Denise O'Sullivan. Apparently, our whole W-League team is pissed off because of the favouritism shown to the FFA pets. Hope that it results in the team finishing with 3 wins.

14 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Just finished listening to today's Fox Football Podcast with Adam Peacock Hosting Robbie Slater and Dean Heffernan.

Today Slater got on a high horse and he is actually right. Go and have a listen.

At the end, Dean Heffernan said there was one rule for teams with Matilda's (Melbourne City, Sydney FC and Brisbane) and not for the Wanderers with the rescheduling of W-league games this round. The FFA didn't move our Round 1 match (against Adelaide) at the end of an international break so Amy Harrison played 2 games in 48 hours and we didn't have Lynn Williams and Denise O'Sullivan. Apparently, our whole W-League team is pissed off because of the favouritism shown to the FFA pets. Hope that it results in the team finishing with 3 wins.

podcast is 49mins - 45 of it is Slater ranting as he usually does when his on (still a valid listen no matter our opinions Slater does care about the overall game and the A-league in particular and has some strong opinions on the state of the A-league). The last 4 mins is Heffernan putting his bit in about the W-Wanderers and the rescheduling rule that didn't apply to our team.