Football Media Discussion 2

I don't mind the general idea of having a short "big bash" style version of football. I don't agree with some of the details of his proposal (played mid-season, 6 a side). I'll quote my post from 2018 that he clearly stole the idea from.

Rather than make football gimmicky to emulate the BBL they could have a short version of the game that can be the T20 equivalent for football. In fact it already exists in futsal.

They could have an off-season national futsal competition with the existing A-League clubs (maybe even some NPL clubs if we're being optimistic) that can be all about music and flashing lights and guest stints with aging superstars. That way you aren't devaluing the core game if you try these new things, in the same way test cricket would never allow music between deliveries, DJ platforms, smoke machines, etc.

The NBL currently plays during the A-League season so their venues would be available during our off-season, and they have a team in pretty much every city the A-League does so venues should be easy to organise. Plus futsal is a legitimate sport with a huge overseas following, it's taken seriously by FIFA with both club and national team competitions and would provide another pathway for juniors into the sport. It'd also be a potential new revenue stream for the clubs if they sell memberships, merch and get a TV rights deal for the "Hollywood" version of the game like the BBL.

Of course the FFA are completely oblivious to this opportunity, as demonstrated by the fact they pulled funding from the Futsalroos.

So my two Craig Johnstone stories one of which I think I posted on here

1) When I was it school on the outskirts of Liverpool (UK) there was a rumour that a big posh house we used to walk past on the way home was Craig Johnstone's, to this day I have no idea if it was true. Myself and a bunch other Everton supporitng  young  Scallys would stand on the wall out the front yelling abuse every afternoon. If it wasn't his house, I do wonder what the owners thought of a bunch of snotty nosed school kids standing on the wall yelling Evertoin are Magic Liverpool are Tragic at 3:30 every day was about. 

2) A friend of mine insists that they seen Craig Johnstone multiple times in the early 90's in various Newcastle pubs unsucessfully trying to woo a group of Lesbians

On 19/04/2020 at 10:35 AM, Ossified said:

I love him in a mostly hetro way

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/ex-wanderer-the-club-went-to-s-when-popovic-left

Thought this was an interesting article. I feel as if the kid was at the club a little longer, he might of had a chance at senior level under Babbel.

You can see Babbel really wanted to give our youth an opportunity at senior level. Plus, the likes of Massdoukoutas, Baccus, Sullivan, Grozos, Wilmering, Russell & Adam are just samples on what club will bring in the future.

So why is Optus suddenly taking an interest in the A League. By interest I mean finding any ex Australian player they can to slag it off?

A consiparcy theorist would say it's to put the boot in, largely kill it, so they can come in like a Knight in Shining armour to "save" the game, in return for getting rights for next to nothing..

I don't trust those Mofo's any more than Foxtel

2 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

So why is Optus suddenly taking an interest in the A League. By interest I mean finding any ex Australian player they can to slag it off?

A consiparcy theorist would say it's to put the boot in, largely kill it, so they can come in like a Knight in Shining armour to "save" the game, in return for getting rights for next to nothing..

Optus started broadcasting sport in July 2016. The latest A-league rights deal was also negotiated in 2016 (and I believe Fox had the right to the first offer and could then trump any subsequent offers if they eventuated). Optus paid overs for EPL to pry it from Fox, and then the 2018 WC not long after to bring in football subscribers. I doubt they were willing to cough up $60M+ a year for a competition that was no guarantee to bring in the number of subscribers they required to make their model viable.

They are now in more of a position to pay for more content when they've already got the subscribers signed up who they know are football fans and may be willing to watch A-league. We all know they won't pay the same as the current deal, but Fox wouldn't have either.

Re: talking heads about the A-league. Previously, it was not really in their interest to be promoting a rivals content (but they did occasionally discuss it on their podcasts). Now with no sport they are desperate for some sort of content and are using their employees contacts (i.e. the golden generation of Roos players) to get together and discuss the state of the game in Australia. Most of what those players said has been discussed ad nauseum in places like here, by certain journalists and Sokkah Twitter for years. What these players are saying is pretty reflective of how a lot of people feel about the current state of the game, they just might carry a bit more weight because of their pedigree.

I don't really trust any corporate entity to do anything beyond try and make a profit, but considering how Fox has treated the A-league for years (and utilised an aging business model that has deliberately tried to avoid streaming etc.), I'm happy for it to move somewhere else to see what comes of it. At least we know Optus has a ready made audience of football fans.

The biggest issue to iron out is who will cover the broadcasting arrangements (will it be supplied by Optus, or the league).

17 hours ago, MathyouWSW said:

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/ex-wanderer-the-club-went-to-s-when-popovic-left

Thought this was an interesting article. I feel as if the kid was at the club a little longer, he might of had a chance at senior level under Babbel.

You can see Babbel really wanted to give our youth an opportunity at senior level. Plus, the likes of Massdoukoutas, Baccus, Sullivan, Grozos, Wilmering, Russell & Adam are just samples on what club will bring in the future.

To me, Kuku sounds salty and is just another player bashing the club for not giving him a chance. I agree with his statement about Popovic though.

5 hours ago, Carns said:

Optus started broadcasting sport in July 2016. The latest A-league rights deal was also negotiated in 2016 (and I believe Fox had the right to the first offer and could then trump any subsequent offers if they eventuated). Optus paid overs for EPL to pry it from Fox, and then the 2018 WC not long after to bring in football subscribers. I doubt they were willing to cough up $60M+ a year for a competition that was no guarantee to bring in the number of subscribers they required to make their model viable.

They are now in more of a position to pay for more content when they've already got the subscribers signed up who they know are football fans and may be willing to watch A-league. We all know they won't pay the same as the current deal, but Fox wouldn't have either.

Re: talking heads about the A-league. Previously, it was not really in their interest to be promoting a rivals content (but they did occasionally discuss it on their podcasts). Now with no sport they are desperate for some sort of content and are using their employees contacts (i.e. the golden generation of Roos players) to get together and discuss the state of the game in Australia. Most of what those players said has been discussed ad nauseum in places like here, by certain journalists and Sokkah Twitter for years. What these players are saying is pretty reflective of how a lot of people feel about the current state of the game, they just might carry a bit more weight because of their pedigree.

I don't really trust any corporate entity to do anything beyond try and make a profit, but considering how Fox has treated the A-league for years (and utilised an aging business model that has deliberately tried to avoid streaming etc.), I'm happy for it to move somewhere else to see what comes of it. At least we know Optus has a ready made audience of football fans.

The biggest issue to iron out is who will cover the broadcasting arrangements (will it be supplied by Optus, or the league).

My understanding is that Fox outsource a majority of their broadcast production anyway. I’m sure Optus would and could just as easily do the same thing were they to take on the A-League. Plus if they want to be known as Australia’s home of football, having rights to the domestic top flight would go along way. 

9 minutes ago, hughsey said:

My understanding is that Fox outsource a majority of their broadcast production anyway. I’m sure Optus would and could just as easily do the same thing were they to take on the A-League. Plus if they want to be known as Australia’s home of football, having rights to the domestic top flight would go along way. 

That's true. All the broadcasting (cameras, audio of live sport etc) is done by third party. The major difference would be who foots the bill. If Optus does so, they'd pay less for the rights. If the league did it, they'd ask for more (but lose some money on broadcasting costs).

The major difference is Optus (currently) don't actually pay to broadcast any live sport, they pay for rights to show it. They do panel shows etc. supporting live broadcast that is supplied from overseas markets.

8 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Eh any broadcasting deal is better than Fox at the moment surely. Also I see Optus getting the golden era players to talk about the game a positive. If Optus get the rights those players will probably have more opportunity then to improve the game by proposing and putting things in place. Then as the game improves and gets better in all facets, a better deal will be a lot more achievable, allowing them to grow it further.

You never know I guess. Certainly see where you are coming from.

5 hours ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

To me, Kuku sounds salty and is just another player bashing the club for not giving him a chance. I agree with his statement about Popovic though.

Interesting, Gombau was sacked in part for not taking interest in the youth set up 

He May be salty but you can’t say he’s wrong it’s been a total cluster f since we left para mk 1

9 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Interesting, Gombau was sacked in part for not taking interest in the youth set up 

He May be salty but you can’t say he’s wrong it’s been a total cluster f since we left para mk 1

Thing is it wasn't the clubs decision to let Kuku go, they advised him to stay, his decision to leave. Maybe he just wasn't good enough, thats just how it is for a lot of youth players in the country who might make it. However his statement about Popovic and the club can't be questioned really because its true.

1 hour ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Thing is it wasn't the clubs decision to let Kuku go, they advised him to stay, his decision to leave. Maybe he just wasn't good enough, thats just how it is for a lot of youth players in the country who might make it. However his statement about Popovic and the club can't be questioned really because its true.

Whilst it's easy to agree with Kuku's comments about the club, I get the impression he thinks his ability is much better than what it really is. Surely City would have snapped him up had he been any good. I wonder if Taurus has any thoughts?

3 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

Whilst it's easy to agree with Kuku's comments about the club, I get the impression he thinks his ability is much better than what it really is. Surely City would have snapped him up had he been any good. I wonder if Taurus has any thoughts?

Exactly what I was thinking. Some of the youth kids, in my opinion think they are god tier because they play at a professional club at youth level. If he was good enough, he would've gotten in the team or got offers from other A-League teams. His comments in general sound like he has a grudge against them for not giving him a chance. If you're not good enough, you won't get a chance, simple as that. 

1 hour ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Exactly what I was thinking. Some of the youth kids, in my opinion think they are god tier because they play at a professional club at youth level. If he was good enough, he would've gotten in the team or got offers from other A-League teams. His comments in general sound like he has a grudge against them for not giving him a chance. If you're not good enough, you won't get a chance, simple as that. 

Even the Mariners didn't sign him up.....:ninja:

:D

• 2 weeks later...

The Fox Football podcast is a mixed bag at the moment. For a time it seemed to hurtling down the drain with that ignorant, football shock jock Slater shouting rubbish from the rooftops (I was once happy when I got his autograph on my old Northern Spirit jersey, but that’s before I heard him speak...), but then they came in with a couple of good interviews with Maclaren (good insight into the motivations of a player who, I think, thinks quite highly of the A-League) and Kerr (a break from the bloke club, and a good insight into life as a player in isolation), only to then give Slater another moment on the airwaves. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I miss Bozza, and he can definitely grate if you listen to him for too long.

I’ve stopped listening to most sports podcasts purely cause I’m sick of hearing about the coronavirus anymore than I have to. The Peter Crouch podcast is probably one of the only ones (That I listen to regularly) not banging on about it and it’s implications.

10 years ago, Fox could’ve innovated their product to become the Australian equivalent of Netflix and probably even more. Instead they refused and are now paying the ultimate cost.

Fox Sports have stitched every major code up and prevented them from innovating their product and consumption which has now put them all in a very precarious position. It’s crook what they’ve done when you think about it.

6 minutes ago, hughsey said:

10 years ago, Fox could’ve innovated their product to become the Australian equivalent of Netflix and probably even more. Instead they refused and are now paying the ultimate cost.

Fox Sports have stitched every major code up and prevented them from innovating their product and consumption which has now put them all in a very precarious position. It’s crook what they’ve done when you think about it.

And the byproduct is a substandard internet.

17 hours ago, hughsey said:

10 years ago, Fox could’ve innovated their product to become the Australian equivalent of Netflix and probably even more.

10 years ago, Fox had a solid business model, increasing subscriptions, big profits for its two co-owners why would they want to change? Old mate Rupert scuppered the NBN going Fibre to the Premises or so they thought.

Unfortunately for Foxtel, they are having their Kodak moment where the competition is undercutting them & their model no longer works. Now they’ve got no choice but to change tact, but how? How do they maintain their big margins on packages? How can they continue to overcharge for the IQ service ($50 min for sports package) when they offer Kayo for $25?) to maintain the bottom line?

54 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

10 years ago, Fox had a solid business model, increasing subscriptions, big profits for its two co-owners why would they want to change? Old mate Rupert scuppered the NBN going Fibre to the Premises or so they thought.

Unfortunately for Foxtel, they are having their Kodak moment where the competition is undercutting them & their model no longer works. Now they’ve got no choice but to change tact, but how? How do they maintain their big margins on packages? How can they continue to overcharge for the IQ service ($50 min for sports package) when they offer Kayo for $25?) to maintain the bottom line?

He knew FFTP would be the opening up of high quality streaming to everyone and it threatened his business model of being top dog.I have no sympathy for his company(s). All he's done is just delayed the inevitable. The majority of Aus wanted fast,world class fibre. So he got his Lib mates to screw the NBN. Just pure commercial bastardry.

Reap what you sow.. 

Edited by sonar
  • mack locked this topic