Football Media Discussion 2

I can’t help but wonder if allowing VAR to be scrapped has anything to do with the financial fall out from coronavirus. The NRL bunker has been cut to save roughly $2m a season so you’d have to wonder how much a VAR system costs football leagues to install and operate. Makes sense as a means of cost cutting. 

9 hours ago, sonar said:

He knew FFTP would be the opening up of high quality streaming to everyone and it threatened his business model of being top dog.I have no sympathy for his company(s). All he's done is just delayed the inevitable. The majority of Aus wanted fast,world class fibre. So he got his Lib mates to screw the NBN. Just pure commercial bastardry.

Reap what you sow.. 

Yeah i don't feel bad for murdoch with him melding in politics rather than integrate with technology. I'm still keeping fox as I'm bored and a bit old school and don't enjoy Internet tv, but inevitably I will upgrade and that would cancel out foxtel. 

On 11/05/2020 at 7:01 PM, tardotz said:

I don’t know, the scrapping is a bit much, more like shelved for the remainder of the season.

On 11/05/2020 at 9:42 PM, hughsey said:

I can’t help but wonder if allowing VAR to be scrapped has anything to do with the financial fall out from coronavirus

The main reason it was scrapped was so they didn’t need 3-5 people in the VAR box. Much of the costs associated with the VAR are fixed, the software, hardware for the room & you won’t be saving much (just wages).

I guess when you’ve got Fox looking to halve the current contract, I guess you need to make all the savings you can!

7 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

The way of the future. Fox cant afford to pay huge lump sums anymore so to me it's a no brainer. 

Plus it gives control to the actual league rather than being a slave to networks

11 hours ago, hughsey said:

The way of the future. Fox cant afford to pay huge lump sums anymore so to me it's a no brainer. 

Plus it gives control to the actual league rather than being a slave to networks

Doesn't appear to be expensive either.

4 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

Doesn't appear to be expensive either.

I’d say it would be a significant outlay, not just the game to game production costs but establishing the production home. This is at a time where Fox looking to cut the tv deal & no other apparent way to fund it.

14 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

I’d say it would be a significant outlay, not just the game to game production costs but establishing the production home. This is at a time where Fox looking to cut the tv deal & no other apparent way to fund it.

The article mentions a cost of $1.3m to set it up, which is what I was referring to. But that's only for the in/out control centre. The production/filming costs are on top of that.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering whether stadiums will/can provide their own hd broadcast remote control cameras, permanently mounted around the stadiums. They have them in the stadiums for crowd control why not for broadcasting. You can already control cameras remotely . Why not go the extra mile and pre-install in stadiums. Every one wins.

Edited by sonar

Broadcast level cameras setups cost hundreds of thousands of dollars (much of which is in the main lens). I'm not sure any of the Governments that own these stadiums would go for it.

I definitely think whatever happens with this Fox Sports contract, that the FFA, Independent A-League & even the NPL clubs are going to have to work out a minimally acceptable and cheap setup.

If you look at the various NPL stream broadcasts, many of them are basically unwatchable (zooming & focus issues, low frame rates) and the camera operators aren't exactly world class. But even those minimal setups cost a lot to setup. Not to mention that a heavily cut down contract in the A-League deal (or going fully independent with no Fox Sports) is going to mean games getting played at suburban grounds with sub-optimal lightning or internet making streaming an issue.

It's a huge problem to solve.

48 minutes ago, mack said:

Broadcast level cameras setups cost hundreds of thousands of dollars (much of which is in the main lens). I'm not sure any of the Governments that own these stadiums would go for it.

I definitely think whatever happens with this Fox Sports contract, that the FFA, Independent A-League & even the NPL clubs are going to have to work out a minimally acceptable and cheap setup.

If you look at the various NPL stream broadcasts, many of them are basically unwatchable (zooming & focus issues, low frame rates) and the camera operators aren't exactly world class. But even those minimal setups cost a lot to setup. Not to mention that a contract in the A-League deal (or going fully independent with no Fox Sports) is going to mean games getting played at suburban grounds with sub-optimal lightning or internet making streaming an issue.

It's a huge problem to solve.

Interesting vid. For what I was talking about ( football stadia compared to say motor racing etc ) you most probably wouldn't need the exact lens as shown. The way technology is going what is expensive now may well be smaller and cheaper in 5 or so years.

What we need is to find a billionare club owner with their own football facility and a spare $20m who is willing to do a bit of r & d ......:ninja:

:D

Edited by sonar
9 hours ago, sonar said:

I'm wondering whether stadiums will/can provide their own hd broadcast remote control cameras, permanently mounted around the stadiums. They have them in the stadiums for crowd control why not for broadcasting. You can already control cameras remotely . Why not go the extra mile and pre-install in stadiums. Every one wins.

It's funny you mention this today in a nrl game the commentary of fox pundits was calling for sponsorship for a high view camera as foxtel can't afford it anymore hahaha how low will foxtel go getting Commentators to sell it live during a game. 

This camera was wired fixed like a spider cam and did provide a good sideline view. 

45 minutes ago, Burgerman said:

It's funny you mention this today in a nrl game the commentary of fox pundits was calling for sponsorship for a high view camera as foxtel can't afford it anymore hahaha how low will foxtel go getting Commentators to sell it live during a game. 

This camera was wired fixed like a spider cam and did provide a good sideline view. 

Foxtel ( News Ltd ) will never surprise with how low they will go. It's their business modus operandi.

:D

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

So, Rugby has struck a deal with Fox.

FFA, Where are you?

https://t.co/3yxw8UFrga?amp=1

See a Private Equity firm is about to invest in Rugby

The sport of the Lexus driver will be fine, there is always some private school old boy to bail them out

There was a rumour going round on Twitter today  that News Ltd has sacked three of its  Oz football journalists

Came from ZenithSem I think, not sure how true it is.

18 hours ago, papersun said:

There was a rumour going round on Twitter today  that News Ltd has sacked three of its  Oz football journalists

Came from ZenithSem I think, not sure how true it is.

Seems like this rumour is likely to be true. One gone already, Ray Gatt thinks more to come and a deliberate attempt to bring the game down.

Not the greatest of times for the game at the moment.

It’s da pandemic, I tellz ya! It’s all part of the plan to bring down football in Australia.

Got to love the conspiracy nuts. That other sports will act to protect their interests is a given, but to believe there’s a grand plan to destroy local interest in the global game is a bit daft.

Edited by Generator
  • mack locked this topic