mack

Football Media Discussion 2

10 years ago, Fox could’ve innovated their product to become the Australian equivalent of Netflix and probably even more. Instead they refused and are now paying the ultimate cost.

Fox Sports have stitched every major code up and prevented them from innovating their product and consumption which has now put them all in a very precarious position. It’s crook what they’ve done when you think about it.

6 minutes ago, hughsey said:

10 years ago, Fox could’ve innovated their product to become the Australian equivalent of Netflix and probably even more. Instead they refused and are now paying the ultimate cost.

Fox Sports have stitched every major code up and prevented them from innovating their product and consumption which has now put them all in a very precarious position. It’s crook what they’ve done when you think about it.

And the byproduct is a substandard internet.

17 hours ago, hughsey said:

10 years ago, Fox could’ve innovated their product to become the Australian equivalent of Netflix and probably even more.

10 years ago, Fox had a solid business model, increasing subscriptions, big profits for its two co-owners why would they want to change? Old mate Rupert scuppered the NBN going Fibre to the Premises or so they thought.

Unfortunately for Foxtel, they are having their Kodak moment where the competition is undercutting them & their model no longer works. Now they’ve got no choice but to change tact, but how? How do they maintain their big margins on packages? How can they continue to overcharge for the IQ service ($50 min for sports package) when they offer Kayo for $25?) to maintain the bottom line?

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

10 years ago, Fox had a solid business model, increasing subscriptions, big profits for its two co-owners why would they want to change? Old mate Rupert scuppered the NBN going Fibre to the Premises or so they thought.

Unfortunately for Foxtel, they are having their Kodak moment where the competition is undercutting them & their model no longer works. Now they’ve got no choice but to change tact, but how? How do they maintain their big margins on packages? How can they continue to overcharge for the IQ service ($50 min for sports package) when they offer Kayo for $25?) to maintain the bottom line?

He knew FFTP would be the opening up of high quality streaming to everyone and it threatened his business model of being top dog.I have no sympathy for his company(s). All he's done is just delayed the inevitable. The majority of Aus wanted fast,world class fibre. So he got his Lib mates to screw the NBN. Just pure commercial bastardry.

Reap what you sow.. 

Edited by sonar

I can’t help but wonder if allowing VAR to be scrapped has anything to do with the financial fall out from coronavirus. The NRL bunker has been cut to save roughly $2m a season so you’d have to wonder how much a VAR system costs football leagues to install and operate. Makes sense as a means of cost cutting. 

9 hours ago, sonar said:

He knew FFTP would be the opening up of high quality streaming to everyone and it threatened his business model of being top dog.I have no sympathy for his company(s). All he's done is just delayed the inevitable. The majority of Aus wanted fast,world class fibre. So he got his Lib mates to screw the NBN. Just pure commercial bastardry.

Reap what you sow.. 

Yeah i don't feel bad for murdoch with him melding in politics rather than integrate with technology. I'm still keeping fox as I'm bored and a bit old school and don't enjoy Internet tv, but inevitably I will upgrade and that would cancel out foxtel. 

On 11/05/2020 at 7:01 PM, tardotz said:

I don’t know, the scrapping is a bit much, more like shelved for the remainder of the season.

On 11/05/2020 at 9:42 PM, hughsey said:

I can’t help but wonder if allowing VAR to be scrapped has anything to do with the financial fall out from coronavirus

The main reason it was scrapped was so they didn’t need 3-5 people in the VAR box. Much of the costs associated with the VAR are fixed, the software, hardware for the room & you won’t be saving much (just wages).

I guess when you’ve got Fox looking to halve the current contract, I guess you need to make all the savings you can!

Posted (edited)

Edited by sonar

7 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

The way of the future. Fox cant afford to pay huge lump sums anymore so to me it's a no brainer. 

Plus it gives control to the actual league rather than being a slave to networks

11 hours ago, hughsey said:

The way of the future. Fox cant afford to pay huge lump sums anymore so to me it's a no brainer. 

Plus it gives control to the actual league rather than being a slave to networks

Doesn't appear to be expensive either.

4 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

Doesn't appear to be expensive either.

I’d say it would be a significant outlay, not just the game to game production costs but establishing the production home. This is at a time where Fox looking to cut the tv deal & no other apparent way to fund it.

14 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

I’d say it would be a significant outlay, not just the game to game production costs but establishing the production home. This is at a time where Fox looking to cut the tv deal & no other apparent way to fund it.

The article mentions a cost of $1.3m to set it up, which is what I was referring to. But that's only for the in/out control centre. The production/filming costs are on top of that.

$12m for an entire aleague season doesn’t seem overly expensive, though I don’t know what the benchmark cost is

I'm wondering whether stadiums will/can provide their own hd broadcast remote control cameras, permanently mounted around the stadiums. They have them in the stadiums for crowd control why not for broadcasting. You can already control cameras remotely . Why not go the extra mile and pre-install in stadiums. Every one wins.

Edited by sonar