Football Media Discussion 2

18 hours ago, papersun said:

There was a rumour going round on Twitter today  that News Ltd has sacked three of its  Oz football journalists

Came from ZenithSem I think, not sure how true it is.

Seems like this rumour is likely to be true. One gone already, Ray Gatt thinks more to come and a deliberate attempt to bring the game down.

Not the greatest of times for the game at the moment.

It’s da pandemic, I tellz ya! It’s all part of the plan to bring down football in Australia.

Got to love the conspiracy nuts. That other sports will act to protect their interests is a given, but to believe there’s a grand plan to destroy local interest in the global game is a bit daft.

Edited by Generator

So whats the landscape without a TV deal? Looks bleak to me

The TV broadcast deal paid for the salary cap excluding the designated players, so the calls to "scrap the cap" are/were a waste of time!

8 hours ago, Paul01 said:

So whats the landscape without a TV deal? Looks bleak to me

The TV broadcast deal paid for the salary cap excluding the designated players, so the calls to "scrap the cap" are/were a waste of time!

The scrap the cap stuff was always stupid, only 1 maybe 2 clubs where using all of the cap and the concessions as it was. Our club hasn’t bothered with 2 proper marquees for several seasons 

the money was never there and it certainly isn’t now 

what now 

- maybe there is a private buy out the league by something like an IMG?

- It goes back to the old NSL roots and we have semi-pro teams backed by an actual club 

- They turn the whole thing Into WWF style sports entertainment business with Matt Simon, as some sort of Randy the Macho Man Savage bad guy 

- it thrashes around in death throws for another couple of seasons kind of like Northern Spirit 

So let’s say the 11m a season is the best league can do financially or they get a small ABC afternoon time slot after the lawn bowls and with 2 cameras and in-depth analysis for Paul Wade

which team’s in the a league would still bother? I’m assuming here that they fill the remaining spaces with old skool NSL teams as they are the only organisations likely to care 

sydney? maybe their owners seem pretty set 
victory? They have members

us? This will really test the community club rhetoric

city? Can’t see their overseas owners bothering

Adelaide, Glory? They did the NSL so probably 

Mariners, Jets? Can’t see it

Bulls are already looking for a reduction, might as well have done with it and let Sydney Utd in anyway 

would it be a national comp? Airfares etc would kill it. I remember Blacktown City, would rather play state league than the old NSL as the costs where so high 

sorry long post 

The clubs & FFA have wasted 15 years worth of income on flashy marquees hoping a short term sugar hit from Cahill, Del Piero etc etc would somehow translate into profits. Funnily enough, all at the behest of Fox Sports who got the best benefit out of that. There's no club owned stadiums or licensed venues, clubs have only just started putting proper offices & training facilities together. Player wages are also far too high for a league which has been making very little profit and they have absolutely no hope of remaining so high with such a poor TV deal, we'd be lucky to afford regular foreigners let alone marquees. At least apart from the clubs whose owners are willing to waste 10's of millions a year maintaining the current standing.

11 minutes ago, mack said:

The clubs & FFA have wasted 15 years worth of income on flashy marquees hoping a short term sugar hit from Cahill, Del Piero etc etc would somehow translate into profits. Funnily enough, all at the behest of Fox Sports who got the best benefit out of that. There's no club owned stadiums or licensed venues, clubs have only just started putting proper offices & training facilities together. Player wages are also far too high for a league which has been making very little profit and they have absolutely no hope of remaining so high with such a poor TV deal, we'd be lucky to afford regular foreigners let alone marquees. At least apart from the clubs whose owners are willing to waste 10's of millions a year maintaining the current standing.

Yep.

I'm not really sure where we go to from here. The A-League is at its lowest ebb so far, thanks to clowns and non football people like Gallop, O'Neill and Buckley. 

Massively reduced tv deal seems certain. Without the sugar daddy's, how is it expected to survive?

Ironically enough, the most successful seasons were when we had players like Del Piero, Ono, Emile Heskey, Dwight York and a multitude of others etc... playing here. They bought us publicity and positive media.

It was Gallop killing active support and the negativity of the Rebecca Wilson fallout that was the beginning of the downfall. The game has struggled to recover ever since, and the (former) FFA Board that need to take responsibility for this and the state of the game atm. ****in disgrace the position we now see ourselves in. 

29 minutes ago, mack said:

It’s the fault of the left wing protestors...

oops sorry wrong thread 

And Lowy.

Remember, under his 'leadership' the FFA didn't bother to invest a cent into any kind of permanent offices or training facilities. In 15 years. I believe the FFA are still spending what must cost a huge sum of money on renting an office in Darlinghurst.

6 minutes ago, mack said:

And Lowy.

Remember, under his 'leadership' the FFA didn't bother to invest a cent into any kind of permanent offices or training facilities. In 15 years. I believe the FFA are still spending what must cost a huge sum of money on renting an office in Darlinghurst.

Agreed.

The Lowy's were in it for themselves. Sad really, as they were football people. They are as much to blame for the situation we now see ourselves in.

Edited by Wanderboy
11 hours ago, mack said:

And Lowy.

Wouldn't there be something  suitable cheaper available at Valentine Sports Park or Norwest generally?

1 hour ago, papersun said:

Wouldn't there be something  suitable cheaper available at Valentine Sports Park or Norwest generally?

Why was it darlinghurst?

Near Westfield Corporate headquarters and Lowy mansion.

Lowy wouldn't travel routinely for football business if he could avoid it. Much like moving the Smurfs from the original location in Parramatta to Eastern Sydney so he could attend games.

Everything about the way the A-League has been run is so passive, it’s amazing it’s still around in any capacity. Ironically, I think it actually shows how strong the competition could be with even the tiniest bit of grunt and direction.

The FFA have spent 15 years pandering to the media and non football crowd who do nothing but **** all over the game and it’s fans. They’ve sat back and let Fox drive the competition into the ground, silently accepted sub par pitches season after season and sat around waiting for mythical perfect moments that never arrive, to implement anything. 

The infancy argument doesn’t wash anymore, the league is 15 years old and has gone nowhere - it’s a rudderless ship. Any progress or secret weapons were smothered to appease the critics which the FFA ignorantly thought would be the key to success. It’s sad to say the most forthright the FFA have been in their actions in regards to anything to do with the A-League has been when punishing their own purely to keep up appearances...

Bozza on 'Back Page' was asked.  He said it was above his and Tony (Squires) pay grade to know anything or speak into it.

He said it would start again with or without Fox and that was the important thing because players need to play for their own well-being and the game needs it.  Not sure what I think - probably been said by Hughsey.

A-league peaked in 2008 when Central Coast and the Jets still had great crowds, then the world cup bid happened along with expansion and A-league hasn't hit the same heights since. It peaked again in 2012/13 When Wanderers was introduced along with Heskey, Ono and Del Piero crowds were still not the same overall as 2008. They had another small hit in 2015 with the Asian cup and really nothing happened again. I'm not sure where we go from here we just seemed doomed to fail because we're relying on a model that only works for NRL and AFL. 

I think until we move away what works for NRL and AFL we will always fail. We should have been looking at what works for Super Rugby and Basketball to keep ourselves afloat, streaming independence should have been introduced 3 years ago so that FFA/A-league had distribution rights

31 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

A-league peaked in 2008 when Central Coast and the Jets still had great crowds, then the world cup bid happened along with expansion and A-league hasn't hit the same heights since. It peaked again in 2012/13 When Wanderers was introduced along with Heskey, Ono and Del Piero crowds were still not the same overall as 2008. They had another small hit in 2015 with the Asian cup and really nothing happened again. I'm not sure where we go from here we just seemed doomed to fail because we're relying on a model that only works for NRL and AFL. 

I think until we move away what works for NRL and AFL we will always fail. We should have been looking at what works for Super Rugby and Basketball to keep ourselves afloat, streaming independence should have been introduced 3 years ago so that FFA/A-league had distribution rights

Agree with all except the super rugby bit, if it wasn’t for their old private school tie network and the accompanying perverse sexual practices (Allegedly) they would be more stuffed than us. In fact they are, it’s pretty much a dead game apart from the odd Lexus driver.

Basketball is interesting as in some ways the most similar positioned support. Strong grass roots, underfunded, little media help and has to compete with a bigger better overseas version of it self.

Ive got no solution other than we need to stop chasing the mainstream acceptance that we’ll never get and leverage our strengths, huge player numbers, international game, and players who don’t feel the need to urinate in public places 

2 hours ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

I thought 'peak' A league was the Central Coast NYE game being delayed for the posts breaking that or the Roar numbers falling off

I am not a marketing person but have wondered why football hasn't built upon its huge participation base and drawn sponsorship through that.  If every person that registered received stuff promoting particular businesses, it would reach around 1.8 million players (don't know if that stat is still current??) - and doesn't include the family members of children...  That is better than NRL and probably AFL.  Promotion material delivered into the hands of people should be able to bring in decent revenue.  Or am I naive and ignorant (probably)??

1 hour ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

why football hasn't built upon its huge participation base and drawn sponsorship through that.

Unfortunately it’s a failure of our leadership, starting with Lowy who was steering the ship, the “independent” board who all knew how to say yes & the administrators underneath him who were doing the same.

We had some wins along the way but all in all, we’ve creeped forward since the NSL was abandoned but haven’t gone very far.

4 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Unfortunately it’s a failure of our leadership, starting with Lowy who was steering the ship, the “independent” board who all knew how to say yes & the administrators underneath him who were doing the same.

We had some wins along the way but all in all, we’ve creeped forward since the NSL was abandoned but haven’t gone very far.

All of that 

But I never read the news Ltd papers but flicked through the back of the Telegraph 10 pages on NRL, 2 on AFL, about a half on cricket and a third on rugby, no mention of football at all

Thats what we are up against 

I will never buy the argument that Fox destroyed the game. They spent enough on the broadcast rights, and stood to earn quite a bit from a successful competition, that the argument just never made sense. There was mismanagement from the FFA (although I think the game would be even worse off if not for Lowy Snr’s initial intervention) and some of the clubs and I’ll admit the Fox broadcast schedule hasn’t helped from time to time, but on balance Fox Sports have been a positive force. Whether that remains the case going forward is the question.

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

But I never read the news Ltd papers but flicked through the back of the Telegraph 10 pages on NRL, 2 on AFL, about a half on cricket and a third on rugby, no mention of football at all

All that is going to get even harder now. Ray Gatt retired at the Australian but never replaced. News Ltd just got rid of 3 journalists. That’s in addition to Foxsports & foxsports news cutting football journalists.

Some of the garbage that comes out the twg is far fall from grace & you’ve got the fiction blogger Bossi over at the smh who should have been first on the chopping block.

There aren’t many top level well known respected journalists left, expect to see the sport forced further to the periphery. It’s all a bit bleak out there

I heard on a podcast that Fox has its lowest subscriptions in the US and that was prior to Covid-19. 

They have lost rights for some major leagues in the the US to ESPN