Jump to content
mack

Football Media Discussion 2

Recommended Posts

I'm in two minds about this, can't stand anything in any connected to Murdoch.  

I think it's up to be clubs to decide the way forward now but if there is any other viable alternative I would take it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, papersun said:

I'm in two minds about this, can't stand anything in any connected to Murdoch.  

I think it's up to be clubs to decide the way forward now but if there is any other viable alternative I would take it.

 

I agree with you. 

Unfortunately, players salaries are based on the broadcast deal. 

I have stoutly resisted taking out Fox Sports. But I might take out a Kayo subscription.

I would rather the A-league get a deal with Optus so we get almost all football on one platform. 

Share this post


Link to post

I hate China and their propaganda news: https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/gap-between-a-league-and-asia-too-big-for-aussie-teams-a-league-slammed-by-chinese-media?fbclid=IwAR1NqmRPHjYrvACz4HxJ4lSnhCuzEi_Kt_Q74RT1YZf9L1pzgvCDXZDFimE

China's media has hit out at the A-League claiming Australian clubs are 'not good enough' to match it with Asia's best.

Sydney FC

Defeats by Sydney FC and Perth Glory to Chinese opposition during the week at the Asian Champions League fuelled the fiery comments as media in China hit out at Australia's form in the AFC Champions League and pointed out that the poor results of Aussie teams in Asia don’t do much for the international reputation of the A-League.

On Wednesday Perth lost 2-1 to Shanghai Shenhua while 24 hours later, Sydney FC took the lead against Shanghai SIPG with a goal after eight minutes from Trent Buhagiar only for two second-half goals from Li Shenglong to give the Chinese team, that had previously not won in six games, a much-needed victory.

"Although Sydney have dominated the A-League in recent years, the gap between the league and Asia is too big,” leading website Sina declared.

“Sydney have won just once in 17 ACL games and their performances overseas are too weak which seriously reduces the image of the A-League."

While there was satisfaction from Shanghai SIPG, who had looked disinterested and lethargic in the final stages of the league season that finished earlier this month, got the points, there was a warning from Sports Weekly that they will have to improve in the remaining games in the group stage as they prepare to take on the champions of South Korea and Japan.

“SIPG, just after playing the Chinese Super League, faced the weakest opponent in the group and had some problems and they have to regroup before taking on powerful enemies Jeonbuk Hyundai and Yokohama Mariners, they will face a more severe test.”

Despite the poor results from Australia’s best team, the performance against Shanghai SIPG did earn some praise from media commentators such as the respected Titan Sports newspaper.

“In the first half, Sydney FC tore through the SIPG defence on a number of occasions. SIPG has an advantage over its opponents after just finishing the Super League, SIPG players are in at least a period of good physical and competitive conditions. In addition, Sydney FC had a warm-up with the Australian U23 team before going to Qatar, their last competitive match was at the end of August. They rested for more than two months and did not regroup until early November.”

The newspaper notes that while changes in formation, personnel and tactics from Shanghai boss Vitor Pereria made a difference but so did the fact that also that Sydney grew tired.

“...It should also be noted that in the last 20 minutes, the physical strength of Sydney FC players, who had not had a formal game for a long time dropped seriously, which also gave SIPG more opportunity.”

Noted commentator Ma Dexing also accused SIPG of not doing their homework on Sydney though was happier with the win of Shenhua over Perth. “Defeating an Australian team, especially a ‘rookie’ is nothing special usually but it is for Shenhua who have not won in Asia for over 10 years.”

He hailed the two wins, especially Shenhua’s victory over Perth, were hailed as a potential turning point for China as they were achieved through the efforts of local players.

This bodes well for the future and should give some self-belief.

“The reason is a certain degree of confidence’” said Sina, “rather than "absolute confidence"-because after all, the overall level of these two Australian teams is still lagging behind that of Japanese and Korean teams, and local players need to compete with Japanese and Korean clubs in the future.”

Melbourne Victory have a chance to restore some A-League pride against Beijing Guoan on Tuesday

Share this post


Link to post

Foxsports have retired their Android App!

Share this post


Link to post

Football Queensland involved shady stuff involving fees. No surprise Bonita Mersiades is in the thick of it trying to expose them and will be on tonight at 7:30 on ABC

 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-25/second-whistleblower-attacks-football-queensland-governance/12910828

Share this post


Link to post
On 20/11/2020 at 11:34 AM, Paul01 said:

This might be good news

Fox Sports U-turn offers cash boost to independent A-League

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/fox-sports-u-turn-offers-cash-boost-to-independent-a-league

 

That is absolutely hilarious. I’ve been saying for ages that if Foxtel got rid of the aleague then their exclusive, in house summer content would be bugger all. They need us way more than we need them and they know it. Cudos to James Johnson for having a backbone to stick up to them over the last 6 months. Isn’t it amazing what can happen when you have some self respect?...

Share this post


Link to post
On 21/11/2020 at 5:23 PM, MathyouWSW said:

I hate China and their propaganda news: https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/gap-between-a-league-and-asia-too-big-for-aussie-teams-a-league-slammed-by-chinese-media?fbclid=IwAR1NqmRPHjYrvACz4HxJ4lSnhCuzEi_Kt_Q74RT1YZf9L1pzgvCDXZDFimE

China's media has hit out at the A-League claiming Australian clubs are 'not good enough' to match it with Asia's best.

Sydney FC

Defeats by Sydney FC and Perth Glory to Chinese opposition during the week at the Asian Champions League fuelled the fiery comments as media in China hit out at Australia's form in the AFC Champions League and pointed out that the poor results of Aussie teams in Asia don’t do much for the international reputation of the A-League.

On Wednesday Perth lost 2-1 to Shanghai Shenhua while 24 hours later, Sydney FC took the lead against Shanghai SIPG with a goal after eight minutes from Trent Buhagiar only for two second-half goals from Li Shenglong to give the Chinese team, that had previously not won in six games, a much-needed victory.

"Although Sydney have dominated the A-League in recent years, the gap between the league and Asia is too big,” leading website Sina declared.

“Sydney have won just once in 17 ACL games and their performances overseas are too weak which seriously reduces the image of the A-League."

While there was satisfaction from Shanghai SIPG, who had looked disinterested and lethargic in the final stages of the league season that finished earlier this month, got the points, there was a warning from Sports Weekly that they will have to improve in the remaining games in the group stage as they prepare to take on the champions of South Korea and Japan.

“SIPG, just after playing the Chinese Super League, faced the weakest opponent in the group and had some problems and they have to regroup before taking on powerful enemies Jeonbuk Hyundai and Yokohama Mariners, they will face a more severe test.”

Despite the poor results from Australia’s best team, the performance against Shanghai SIPG did earn some praise from media commentators such as the respected Titan Sports newspaper.

“In the first half, Sydney FC tore through the SIPG defence on a number of occasions. SIPG has an advantage over its opponents after just finishing the Super League, SIPG players are in at least a period of good physical and competitive conditions. In addition, Sydney FC had a warm-up with the Australian U23 team before going to Qatar, their last competitive match was at the end of August. They rested for more than two months and did not regroup until early November.”

The newspaper notes that while changes in formation, personnel and tactics from Shanghai boss Vitor Pereria made a difference but so did the fact that also that Sydney grew tired.

“...It should also be noted that in the last 20 minutes, the physical strength of Sydney FC players, who had not had a formal game for a long time dropped seriously, which also gave SIPG more opportunity.”

Noted commentator Ma Dexing also accused SIPG of not doing their homework on Sydney though was happier with the win of Shenhua over Perth. “Defeating an Australian team, especially a ‘rookie’ is nothing special usually but it is for Shenhua who have not won in Asia for over 10 years.”

He hailed the two wins, especially Shenhua’s victory over Perth, were hailed as a potential turning point for China as they were achieved through the efforts of local players.

This bodes well for the future and should give some self-belief.

“The reason is a certain degree of confidence’” said Sina, “rather than "absolute confidence"-because after all, the overall level of these two Australian teams is still lagging behind that of Japanese and Korean teams, and local players need to compete with Japanese and Korean clubs in the future.”

Melbourne Victory have a chance to restore some A-League pride against Beijing Guoan on Tuesday

Without their 3 foreign players (aka Brazilians lol..), I’d say 80-90% of Asian sides would be complete rubbish and our teams would comfortably beat them, especially China. Pound for pound I still believe the overall Aussie talent pool is better than the Asian nations with the exception of Japan.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, hughsey said:

Without their 3 foreign players (aka Brazilians lol..), I’d say 80-90% of Asian sides would be complete rubbish and our teams would comfortably beat them, especially China. Pound for pound I still believe the overall Aussie talent pool is better than the Asian nations with the exception of Japan.

This might have been the case in about 2010, it hasn't been for a while, the Japanese and Korean sides (even without imports) are way better than us. Also if you take the foreign players out of the A Leagues teams they would be dreadful 

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, hughsey said:

Without their 3 foreign players (aka Brazilians lol..), I’d say 80-90% of Asian sides would be complete rubbish and our teams would comfortably beat them, especially China. Pound for pound I still believe the overall Aussie talent pool is better than the Asian nations with the exception of Japan.

Koreans are also better than Aussie players. They play with the same physicality while also having great technique

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

This might have been the case in about 2010, it hasn't been for a while, the Japanese and Korean sides (even without imports) are way better than us. Also if you take the foreign players out of the A Leagues teams they would be dreadful 

I still don’t agree. The top tier players in Japan and Korea may be a higher class (Son, Minamino etc) but like for like I think our squaddies are just as good if not better. We don’t rely nearly as much on our foreigners as what they do. Let’s face it, the ACL is most often a competition of who has the best foreign attack 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, hughsey said:

I still don’t agree. The top tier players in Japan and Korea may be a higher class (Son, Minamino etc) but like for like I think our squaddies are just as good if not better. We don’t rely nearly as much on our foreigners as what they do. Let’s face it, the ACL is most often a competition of who has the best foreign attack 

The biggest difference between say A-league and K-league domestic players is that when an A-league player has the ball and they are in the attacking third they will often go backwards or panic. K-league Domestic players  will instead try drive down the wings and expose space. The skill level is almost the same but Koreans have more confidence to do one-on-ones, have confidence protecting the ball and have vision to attack space. I have consumed my share of K-league games (big fan of Taggart) the level is almost the same, the difference is they are far more confident attacking defenders but the finishing is... well peak A-league and that's why they are in the domestic league if its not military requirements.

J-league is far more complex the way Japanese play is like a chess game and A-league teams really struggle but again some of the finishing is reminiscent of peak A-league. 

Chinese are rough thug players I agree A-league players are at the moment better but since we have been Asia they have improved the gap is not as much as it was say 10 or even 5 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post

In my very very very humble opinion this is great analysis of the Australian broadcasters and streaming V Fox... Stan / Nine etc...

https://mumbrella.com.au/whats-the-strategy-of-stan-sport-658095

It has a great chart on where and how it sees the various codes and we are in column 3,  I think the chart is an excellent and realistic breakdown of the various sporting codes in Australia.

Included in his article the journalist also ahs another article linked which is also worth reading.

 

Screen-Shot-2020-11-15-at-8.42.36-am-800x426.png

Edited by Midfielder

Share this post


Link to post

So are Fox Sports going to replace Simon Hill for the forthcoming season or do we have to suffer Speedie as their #1 caller?

Share this post


Link to post
On 30/11/2020 at 1:25 PM, Midfielder said:

In my very very very humble opinion this is great analysis of the Australian broadcasters and streaming V Fox... Stan / Nine etc...

https://mumbrella.com.au/whats-the-strategy-of-stan-sport-658095

It has a great chart on where and how it sees the various codes and we are in column 3,  I think the chart is an excellent and realistic breakdown of the various sporting codes in Australia.

Included in his article the journalist also ahs another article linked which is also worth reading.

 

Screen-Shot-2020-11-15-at-8.42.36-am-800x426.png

Further to this article is an article about Fox and its tier one sports and more specifically AFL.. it shows some decent Fox data.

https://thejournaldaily.com/index.php/2020/11/23/foxtel-mulling-early-strike-to-extend-broadcast-deal-with-afl/

Outgoing Nine boss Hugh Marks did not rule out entering discussions with other sports as Nine grows its offering. Mr Delany said at a conference earlier this year that Foxtel would focus on securing more rights to large sports such as the AFL and NRL, which are appealing to advertiser and subscribers.

“We are now quite fearless of losing a sport,” Mr Delany said at a sports conference in September. “If a sport is asking too much money and we can’t make it work, and someone else can, well good luck to them.

“I want more of the NRL. Our relationship with the AFL is really fabulous. I want more AFL. The motorsports are going well for us, and we like cricket. But they are really the tier one sports and the rest are going to have to adjust.”

Foxtel’s main point of differentiation is its coverage of local and international sport and that focus led to the launch of its streaming service Kayo Sports. But competition from local and international players has put pressure on Foxtel, which has a large pile of debt. The financial challenges were exacerbated by the pandemic due to the suspension of sport and the closure of pubs and clubs affected its subscriber base. Foxtel was forced to stand down more than 200 staff and axed more than 300 jobs earlier in the year.

The company reported a revenue fall of US$18 million to $US496 million for Foxtel in the first quarter despite an increase in the number of subscribers. Foxtel’s total paying subscribers increased by 7 per cent to 3.29 million as of September 30. Subscribers for Kayo and Binge climbed 67 per cent. Kayo has 681,000 subscribers (644,000 paying) while Binge has 321,000 users (290,000 paying). The amount of revenue per user increased by 1 per cent to just $US56 ($77).

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

So are Fox Sports going to replace Simon Hill for the forthcoming season or do we have to suffer Speedie as their #1 caller?

I think you know the answer 

Share this post


Link to post

We are now quite fearless of losing a sport,” Mr Delany said at a sports conference in September. “If a sport is asking too much money and we can’t make it work, and someone else can, well good luck to them.

He says as they come crawling back to the FFA in a panic because union called their bluff and walked... LOL

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...