Football Media Discussion 2

On 04/02/2021 at 3:22 PM, DCWSW said:

Lots of interesting developments in the streaming space over the past couple days... Kayo joining forces with Telstra, discontinuing their NRL and AFL apps. Stan announcing their rugby team, FFA announcing a couple new executive additions and Amazon buying the rights for Aussie swimming... 

If Fox are to renew their deal with the A-League, the My Football App looks set to be discontinued, with customers pointed towards Kayo. 

This article also suggests that the APL will be establishing their own digital product, something we've known for a while anyway https://www.a-league.com.au/news/plans-and-priorities-apl-leagues-prepare-change

Next few months are going to be big for football, don't rule out anything... :ninja:

I stopped using the nrl and football apps some time ago. Unfortunately the streaming quality does not compete with kayo. I am currently on the $15 a month telstra offer. Not sure what I will do when that finishes.

On 05/02/2021 at 5:14 PM, GunnerWanderer said:

Yet to be convinced any streaming service is going to pump as much as fox into the game 

love the optimism just can’t see it give it a few months A-League owners going to be shitting their pants 

On the flip side though, what exactly is the dollar value of as much as Fox are willing to pay?

There’s (a feeling of) security with Fox purely as that’s all we know but I don’t think it any longer equates to good money or treatment. 

Union should be a case study for the FFA/AL as they took a gamble leaving Fox and ended up finding an unlikely partner in Stan/9. There is clearly appetite for content out there and I don’t think we should be scared to explore it. 

On 05/02/2021 at 5:14 PM, GunnerWanderer said:

Yet to be convinced any streaming service is going to pump as much as fox into the game 

love the optimism just can’t see it give it a few months A-League owners going to be shitting their pants 

Considering the extremely low production values Fox have this season - firing Simon Hill, cutting to some random guy in his bedroom during a W-League match, “missing” vision of a goal during the Wellington match - do we have much to lose here?

Rugby Australia managed to get ~$100m over three years from Stan/Nine. They get free-to-air coverage, albeit their Saturday night game and only on GEM. I think it will be really interesting to see how they go when their competition starts in a couple weeks. Not really around ratings (as Stan won't make them public), but more with their quality of broadcast, especially on their Stan exclusive fixtures.

Fox had their ~$59m per year deal cut to around ~$30m for the A-League this season. We'd hope that the league could get something similar in their next deal - I can't see them getting more than Rugby at this stage.

Optus would be the ideal streaming service to partner with, obviously, as it's a clear package with the EPL, like the good old days with Fox. Although, I'm not sure what sort of sum they would pay for the rights. 

The other discussion with Optus is the type of production they'd produce. Fox have clearly been going cheap this season, with unmanned cameras etc etc. Would Optus raise the quality back (or similar) to what it was? Maybe. Are viewers okay with a basic camera set up or do people want more angles? Or, as long as the game is viewable, it's all good? Lots of questions to be answered. 

Streaming won't get us near the money Fox can give us at the moment. But A-league may get more viewers and its about finding the target audience. Optus is the ideal one because its has EPL. Its no surprise A-league lost a lot of viewers when the EPL was lost by FOX and the addition of Netflix and Stan less people keep Fox.

So do the clubs take a sugar hit or take a gamble to get more viewers and build value?

Socceroos and Matildas look safe to be on free to air once the games come back

Wouldn’t surprise me if NRL/AFL go with in house production and on sell content.

I think it would take a lot for 9 to let it go though, I read something the other day that 9 bosses weren’t very happy with the decision to go with the tennis over cricket. 

6 minutes ago, mack said:

I said 15 years ago that the major sports in Australia could replace Foxtel and do a lot of damage to the FTA networks doing a combined streaming service

If they pooled their resources and all came under the one banner then it would be an epic service plus it would be in everyone’s interest.

If content starts getting spread too thin over multiple services (which is beginning to happen), broadcasters aren’t going to pay big bucks and consumers aren’t going to fork out money for 3-4+ streaming services. We don’t have the population to support the variety like they do in America and other countries. 

2 hours ago, hughsey said:

If they pooled their resources and all came under the one banner then it would be an epic service plus it would be in everyone’s interest.

If content starts getting spread too thin over multiple services (which is beginning to happen), broadcasters aren’t going to pay big bucks and consumers aren’t going to fork out money for 3-4+ streaming services. We don’t have the population to support the variety like they do in America and other countries. 

Agree and its kinda already going that way Stan sport having Union and Tennis, Amazon having the Swimming and Optus with EPL, Euros and world  cup

Lucy's not everyone's cup of tea but it's about time Speedie was taken down a peg or two. Since Simon Hill left FOX he's assumed the #1 commentator spot and is milking it for all it's worth. He was bad before but now he's taken his crapness to new heights.

Just wonder what will happen when the AFL and NRL seasons start as Speedie did those as well. FOX could do worse than nabbing Robin Chipperfield from the ABC. Of course as a Pom I'm biased but he's doing a good job for them with their W League coverage and he did a solid job back in England with BBC Radio Nottingham for many years. 

The original tweet was a person pointing out that Stajcic said Speedy pronounced his name better than Lucy does. As far as I can see Speed didn't reply until after Lucy did. Not sure if Lucy saw it as Stajcic taking a shot at her after the whole "if you knew what I know" saga or if there's something more to it.

Normally I'm all for people putting Speed in his place but going in two footed like that feels a bit excessive.

• mack locked this topic