Football Media Discussion 2

1 hour ago, Davo said:

Any word why the Optus Sport YouTube channel has stopped showing highlights of Premier League games and looks to have removed old highlights from the channel?

They joined in with the social blackout over the weekend, so they didn't upload highlights on YouTube. 

I believe their old highlights are taken down after a week or so.

26 minutes ago, DCWSW said:

They joined in with the social blackout over the weekend, so they didn't upload highlights on YouTube. 

I believe their old highlights are taken down after a week or so.

Thanks, makes sense. I never go back to watch old highlights so the thought did cross my mind that they routinely deleted them.

21 hours ago, wendybr said:

Worth watching for Simon Hill, summing things up well. ❤🖤Could've done without the interviews, and the guy in the hat. :unknw:

What are you talking about, i was reading on last weekend Tele. that the NRL is so bad in country towns that in some towns they can't find 15 players to make a team such as Armidale

On 03/05/2021 at 11:52 PM, wendybr said:

Worth watching for Simon Hill, summing things up well. ❤🖤Could've done without the interviews, and the guy in the hat. :unknw:

Dont know who that Titus O'Reilly character is, but he didn't add anything sensible to the conversation, going about having too many teams, give me a break.

2 hours ago, papersun said:

Dont know who that Titus O'Reilly character is, but he didn't add anything sensible to the conversation, going about having too many teams, give me a break.

Yes...he added nothing sensible. Is he a lame comedian...or some sort of commentator. :unknw:

All they needed was Simon Hill.

• 2 weeks later...

Massive article about the upcoming A-League rights. Looks like Stan/9 and Paramount+/10 are the front runners for the rights. 

Optus have apparently shown no interest. Fox could make a late bid. 

They're looking to wrap up the deal by this week. 

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/a-league-to-kick-off-paramount-s-sport-ambitions-20210516-p57scu.html

1 hour ago, DCWSW said:

Massive article about the upcoming A-League rights. Looks like Stan/9 and Paramount+/10 are the front runners for the rights. 

Optus have apparently shown no interest. Fox could make a late bid. 

They're looking to wrap up the deal by this week. 

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/a-league-to-kick-off-paramount-s-sport-ambitions-20210516-p57scu.html

Paramount +???? I only found out it was thing yesterday because IGN did an article that Nickelodeon did a deal with them.

Looks like Optus was never in the running based on the article so fingers crossed for STAN.

Suggested in the match day report thread that our current 4 game, 25 goal spectacle is part if Lederer's plan to attract neutrals and up the TV rights deal.

'Robbo,' he said, 'give me goals, lots of goals; win or lose, lots of goals! We'll attract the neutrals back and up the TV rights!'

Pretty unselfish really and Robbo and the boys are complying beautifully. They provide a great spectacle for neutrals who like lots of goals!

I don’t know why Stan keeps getting a mention cause to my knowledge they were rejected long ago due to their lack of venue licensing.

Im very torn because it’s looking like it’ll be paramount + and as much as I despise Fox’s treatment, they’d still provide much better overall exposure. The A-League is not nearly big enough to be on such a new/niche service alone. I’d never even heard of it til yesterday.

7 minutes ago, hughsey said:

I don’t know why Stan keeps getting a mention cause to my knowledge they were rejected long ago due to their lack of venue licensing.

Im very torn because it’s looking like it’ll be paramount + and as much as I despise Fox’s treatment, they’d still provide much better overall exposure. The A-League is not nearly big enough to be on such a new/niche service alone. I’d never even heard of it til yesterday.

Most of the reporting is coming from Fairfax outlets - who is owned by Channel 9 and we know they own Stan. That might have something to do with it. 

Paramount+ would be okay - as long as there's some FTA coverage on Channel 10. They need something during the summer months now they don't have the BBL.

The question is whether people are willing to sign up to another subscription service to watch football. The reporting suggests that Stan are in the running for Champions League rights too. We could see something like:

Optus - Premier League, WC etc ($15)

Paramount+ - A-League ($9)

Stan - Champions League ($20+)

Foxtel/Kayo/beIN Connect - Euro Leagues ($25+)

The most passionate football fans will be paying top dollar to access all the big leagues and our local competition. Quite simply, the casual A-League fan might simply choose to not sign up with Paramount+ (as an example), and stick with Optus and maybe one other service. 

The next couple months are going to be very interesting when it comes to football broadcasting in Australia. beIN's deal with Foxtel beyond this season has not been confirmed yet, apparently. Are they going to go alone? I doubt it. 

The ACL is coming up at the end of June through July. Still no word yet on who will be broadcasting that. I'm assuming Fox will but it overlaps with the end of the current A-League deal.

As mentioned before, the UCL rights are up for grabs from next season and it's anyone's game. I hope it stays on Optus, especially if Stan/9 don't get A-League. 

Fox are broadcasting the World Cup qualifiers next month with some FTA access on ABC and SBS. Who knows what happens beyond that. 

Finally, I'm assuming the national part of the FFA Cup will begin some time in July. There's the A-League club playoffs to decide the final two spots, then round of 32 from then. We know it won't be on Fox. Could it be on the new A-League broadcaster? There's also indication that FFA will do it on their own. Maybe we'll see NPL style streams for those ones. 

Lots to look out for coming up.

Lmao for months we keep on hearing the deal is imminent and never comes 

the smh article suggests 20 mil was highest bid 

No surprise from me im One of the few people who have been saying for many years the future for the rights isn’t bright 

still remember people bagging buckley I think it was for 60 million 

A-League is years away from being able to demand big dollars 

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/amazon-preparing-bid-for-fifa-women-s-world-cup-20210523-p57ubs.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1621772164-1

Further info on A/W-League rights:

ViacomCBS’ Network Ten and streaming service Paramount+ remain in advanced talks about securing the broadcast rights to A-League and W-League. Separate sources said that deal could be signed this week and would mark the first local sports acquisition for Paramount+, which launches locally in August.

Nine, the publisher of this masthead, has also submitted a bid for the A-League and W-League involving streaming subsidiary Stan. However, sources indicate that the club-run Australian Professional Leagues - which is leading negotiations, having gained independence from Football Australia last year - favours Ten's proposal due to much stronger financial terms. Both would involve a free-to-air element.

In the US, Paramount+ is already home to several sporting events including the UEFA Champions League and other major football competitions.

The A-League and W-League rights, and the World Cup negotiations, are taking place at the same time as talks for the Socceroos and Matildas matches (being led by Football Australia) and the UEFA Champions League. This is a challenge for all potential bidders because they may want to buy up certain rights before others to ensure they have an offering that will be interesting for viewers and advertisers.

It appears likely that much of that content could be spread amongst different services, forcing football-mad consumers to take up numerous subscriptions to gain access to all of it.

Football Australia chief executive James Johnson said in a video published on the federation's Twitter account on Sunday that while it would be preferable for national team and A-League content to land on the same platform, it wouldn't be the end of the world if that didn't happen.

“The reality is if we look around the world, where leagues are unbundled from federations, that’s not always the case,” Mr Johnson said.

APL HQ seem very confident in Paramount+ but I just don’t see how it does the aleague any favours for exposure.

Best case scenario is they also secure the Champions League to bring in some more average joes and bump viewership up. 

Worst case scenario is that there’s an additional cost for the sport package like what Stan are doing with Stan Sport. That would be a disaster.

13 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

I think the bigger thing would be who would advertise A-league more. 10 or 9? The ads hopefully are in negotiation otherwise if ends up like how Fox treated A-league in the last 6 years then it's just going to be more of the same with the casual viewer not knowing its on

Who's responsibility is it to advertise the A-League - the broadcaster or the league itself?

Yeah, Fox haven't done a great job but everyone knows the A-League is on Fox. If you're watching other sports on Fox, you do see A-League ads. 

Channel 9 have done a really good job cross-promoting the Super Rugby ahead of their season launching in February. I suspect they might do the same if they got the AL? Hard to tell, given the season will probably start right after the NRL Finals. The NRL Finals do present a good opportunity to promote ahead of the new season, though. 

Let's just wait and see what happens... 

8 minutes ago, DCWSW said:

the broadcaster or the league itself?

Both. The contract will include a section about the broadcaster doing their own internal advertising. The league will also have it's own overall marketing, and then each club will do their own specific advertising.

Any chance of A-League going onto main channels is going to depend on what else the channels are showing in summer (assuming it's an October start), and I doubt it's going to be any more than 1 game a week regardless of it being a main or secondary channel. No matter if it's 9 or 10.

With that in mind, and the main thing the club owners want from this rights deal is cold hard cash as long as the bids are similar for the FTA component (eg, one game a week on a secondary channel) they'll just pick the bid with the most cash.

• mack locked this topic