W-League Discussion 2017/18

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/11/2017 at 7:49 AM, SomeGuy1977 said:

Zero draws in the first 2 rounds. 

Anyone able to source the TV ratings? 

Was looking for them but couldn’t find them which doesn’t bode well.

Heard some comments on twitter that moves from smaller stadiums to larger stadiums are hurting the W-League, however playing in world class facilities and getting exposure on TV outweighs negative impacts. On top of that, all games are not played in big stadiums, just the TV games.

1 hour ago, Prydzopolis said:

On top of that, all games are not played in big stadiums, just the TV games.

Not true. This only happens for double headers. The Adelaide vs Perth TV game from the weekend was played at Marden (where Adelaide played FFA cup games). The capacity is 6k.

Here's some info on attendances (DH=double-header with A-League game)

R1

Smurfs v Roar (DH) - 2707

Perth v Vi$ion - 1308

Melb vic v Canberra - 500

Jets v WSW (DH) - 4168

R2

Vi$ion v Melb Vic (DH) - 3510

WSW v Adelaide - 532

Jets v Smurfs (DH) - 2303

Roar v Perth (DH) - 5120

R3

Adelaide v Perth - 947

WSW v Roar - 389

Canberra v Smurfs - 1003

Vi$ionv Jets (DH) - 1773

Total attendance 24260

Average Attendance 2022

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

All due to the double headers. Our W-League team has the following attendances 

R1 v Newcastle 4168 (DH)

R2 v Adelaide 532

R3 v Brisbane 389

R4 bye

R5 v Melb Vic 336

R6 v Perth 215

R7 v Smurfs 8449 (DH)

R8 v Adelaide 739

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

R13

Heartless with a bye

Melb Vic v Smurfs 1-2

Canberra v Jets 1-5

Adelaide v Roar 2-3

Perth v Wanderers?

End of this round has Roar 3 pts clear of the Smurfs but with a poorer goal difference. A draw or win stops the Smurfs from winning the title.

R14 Bye Perth

Adelaide v Melb Vic

Jets v Heartless 

Smurfs v Wanderers 

Roar v Canberra

W-League premiers Brisbane Roar 

Smurfs beat us in the last Round 4-1 and finished second in front of just over 2500 at Seymour Shaw Park (Capacity 5,000 with 1,000 seated located in Miranda). They thought they might have been premiers. Up in smoke now.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, hawks2767 said:

No one seems to be talking about it but our W League team has been complete garbage since day 1 season 1.

I hope there's a plan in place for next season.

This season, my youngest son and I watched a few W-League games with the double-headers. He summed it up for this season - no speed.

We lost our only Matilda in Ellie Carpenter to Canberra this season as  Caitlin Cooper to the Smurfs. It seems we don't get any Matildas in our squad of any note. 

I think it's time the club thinks of a girls academy along with the boys.

• 3 months later...

Looks like the Mariners application to join the W-League next season has been rejected. Looks like they are running a decent development program up there but I don't think  they have W-League quality players coming though so would have to raid the limited Sydney market where even we are currently struggling to get a squad to be a top 4 contenders.

Edited by MartinTyler
8 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

Looks like the Mariners application to join the W-League next season has been rejected. Looks like they are running a decent development program up there but I don't think  they have W-League quality players coming though so would have to raid the limited Sydney market where even we are currently struggling to get a squad to be a top 4 contenders.

Their team is currently playing in the NPL2.

The Mariners are ahead of us on the women's side as we don't have a womens NPL side or girls development program. Maybe when tge academy opens?

5 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Their team is currently playing in the NPL2.

The Mariners are ahead of us on the women's side as we don't have a womens NPL side or girls development program. Maybe when tge academy opens?

Personally I'm not a fan of W-League clubs competing in WNPL. It's not the same as the men/boys and would probably destroy all the good work of the existing teams in their own player development. I'd rather the W-League players being spread around the clubs.

• mack unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

:flag:

https://www.w-league.com.au/news/michelle-heyman-departs-canberra-united

Canberra United have parted ways with Michelle Heyman ahead of the 2018/19 Westfield W-League season.

The Matildas striker and all-time Westfield W-League top scorer departs the club after eight excellent seasons, in which she established herself as one of the leading strikers in world football.

Since arriving ahead of season three of the Westfield W-League, Heyman has made 93 appearances for United, including her 100th career appearance last season against the Western Sydney Wanderers at McKellar Park.

She scored 51 goals in her time in Green and netted 15 of those on her way to the Westfield W-League Golden Boot in season four.

Heyman won three Westfield W-League Premierships (11/12, 13/14, 16/17) and two Championships (11/12, 14’) in her time in Canberra, and was a role model for plenty of young footballers, both boys and girls.

Canberra players celebrate Michelle Heyman's equaliser against Perth Glory. Canberra players celebrate a Michelle Heyman equaliser against Perth Glory.

Heyman expressed her thanks to the club and city, and had some parting words for the Canberra United fanbase.

“I am leaving Canberra United with an extremely heavy heart,” she said. 

“The city and the club have been my home for so long and I will forever be in debt for both of these for shaping me as a player and also as a person.”

“I would especially like to thank Heather Reid for her tireless work both for Canberra United but also for women in sport more broadly.  I want to also thank the amazing CU supporters – they made me feel so welcomed and loved. 

“Playing at McKellar Park with the sun on my back in front of our loyal fans was always my happy place – it will be hard to do it in different colours however I hope you understand my decision to leave. 

“To all of the other teammates and coaches over the journey, I thank you and I promise I will never forget you.”

Heyman 100th Michelle Heyman after her 100th Westfield W-League appearance. Credit: Stephanie Meek

Head Coach Heather Garriock wished Heyman the best moving forward and congratulated her on her career so far.

“I’d like to wish Michelle all the best moving forward in her career,” Garriock said.

“Her achievements speak volumes about her as a footballer, with over 100 games and over 50 goals.”

Canberra United thanks Michelle for her time at the club and wishes her the best of luck going forward in her football career.

“Michelle has been a fantastic ambassador for football in Canberra,” said CEO Phil Brown.

“Michelle was always available for community engagements and had a natural ability to genuinely connect with our fans, especially the young players who looked up to her as a role model.”

Michelle Heyman with Canberra United 

93 Westfield W-League appearances

51 Westfield W-League goals

Three Premierships (11/12, 13/14, 16/17)

Two Championships (11/12, 14’)

• 2 weeks later...