Police, Security & Supporter Discussion Part 2

• 5 weeks later...

Why is it when we talk about hypothetical punching JayzKo doesn't get a mention?

Or would that be considered a public service?

58 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

Spotless security in good form. Of the hundred or so people in the rbb standing on chairs they single out an 11 year old and make him get down.

True bravery on display.

Christ, they hassled your lad again mate? I didn't see it but sure as shite doesn't surprise me.

Maybe I'll stand on the chairs longer next time so that lardarsed prick can target me instead of your lad

4 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

He could always say that he'll get down when Security man gets the rest of the RBB off their seats.

You'll never see him again.

Easiest way to get the seccos to disappear

Tell them it's half-price hot dogs at the concession stand and they can get them for free if they also sign up for a call-centre job with an Aussie visa

3 hours ago, lloydy136 said:

Spotless security in good form. Of the hundred or so people in the rbb standing on chairs they single out an 11 year old and make him get down.

True bravery on display.

He does look like trouble, I blame the parents 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Watched "struggle street" yesterday. 30 police required to evict an Aborignal woman and her six minor kids from her house, and leave her with her belongings in the street. Impressive.

QLD police sunce suggested that intelligence justfied the strong police presence. 

Hmmm.

Would that have been the same intelligence which promoted last season's round 3 game against ccm to "high risk", and saw spotless swamped with riot police as a result? 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, hughsey said:

Expect a media **** storm storm tomorrow. The amount of morons around us in the RBB just stomping seats and breaking them for a laugh was ridiculous. 

Would be better if more people sang louder instead of breaking stuff. And if we’re gonna get bad publicity might as well rip them flares!

5 hours ago, leslie said:

There has to be a direct correlation between the dwindling number of flares and the dwindling crowds...:xnod:

Flares are no joking matter, do not bring them up unless you are making a serious argument. Besides, we all know crowds are dwindling because the stadiums are old and crumbling down

Paper plane lovers take note

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/12/13/peru-fined-dirty-tactics-world-cup-qualifiers

The second was for supporters throwing paper darts during a World Cup qualifier against the Solomon Islands in Auckland in September this year.

FIFA are onto the Kiwis. It's only a matter of time before some kid is dragged from a game here and costs their team 3 points. FFS

Edited by SomeGuy1977

Amid dwindling attendances, alarming broadcasting figures and off-field shenanigans, it is not hard to see why some would be tempted to describe it as the season from hell for the A-League and Football Federation Australia.

The game’s ills have been at the forefront of media attention and commentary on social media over the past 18 months. And it is the national competition, the lifeblood of the sport in this country, which is clearly taking a big hit.

The attendance and television figures don’t make pretty reading.

Total attendance for the first 10 rounds of the season was down 92,167 on the same period last season — a 12 per cent drop. The average is down from 13,507 to 11,902.

Broadcast figures for free-to-air television show they are down some 18 per cent on last season while the pay-TV figures are down a whopping 762,000.

There is no better illustration than the numbers for last week’s Sydney derby between Western Sydney and Sydney FC.

The corresponding game last season drew more than 60,000, a record, but only just over 36,000 turned up at ANZ Stadium last week. Significantly, just 55,000 tuned into One HD to watch the biggest game in the A-League.

While admitting there are some concerns, A-League boss Greg O’Rourke remains bullish.

O’Rourke believes the off-field issues regarding FFA’s fight with FIFA and the A-League clubs, the poor results for Melbourne Victory and Western Sydney, and the extra competition from the Rugby League World Cup and the Ashes has had an impact.

“We are seeing a very different dynamic about the teams that are winning and those not winning. You have the Jets and Mariners in the top four and Victory and WSW in the bottom half,” O’Rourke said.

“While it is good for the league and potentially for fans that any team has the ability to beat any other, what it is doing for crowds ... they are down seven per cent.

“Victory have 20k-plus members but there was just a 60 per cent take-up for their game against Adelaide recently.

“The club surveyed the fans and the response was that they don’t like going to Etihad Stadium and prefer their games at AAMI and that they are unhappy with the results. It’s the same with the Wanderers. They feel displaced because Parramatta Stadium is being rebuilt and the team is performing poorly.

“Yes, we’ve got issues and I fully understand that and we are addressing them. But I can’t do anything about results or the way teams are performing, that’s football.”

O’Rourke pointed out that during mid-November there was a Socceroos game, the FFA Cup final and a Sydney FC home game all in the one week.

“And we got 100k attend our games in that week in the same city ... that was surely significant,” he said.

In terms of the television ratings, O’Rourke says it has been an unusual season in that the RLWC, The Ashes and even the later than usual scheduling of a Bledisloe Cup game have had an impact.

“I don’t want to be making excuses. Yes, they are down 19 per cent but there is clarity in the reasons why,” he said. “There has been a lot of competition you don’t normally see at this time. The RLWC is a four-year event, the (home) Ashes is the same.

“Our ratings were damaged during the RLWC, particularly in NSW and Queensland which are big on rugby league.

“We even had to contend with a Bledisloe Cup game on a Saturday night not normally played at this time. Given all of that, it would be naive to think there would not be some effect on our broadcast figures.”

O’Rourke found some support from Perth Gory boss Peter Filopoulos, who admits the A-League is facing a lot of challenges but still sees many positives and is confident the national competition can make significant strides.

Filopoulos, regarded as one of the best sporting administrators in the country, knows what he is talking about. Since joining Glory several seasons ago he has transformed a dysfunctional club into a solid, well organised entity.

The club has bucked the trend with crowd attendances, memberships and corporate backing significantly up.

“I firmly believe the quality of the league is strong and this season will be very competitive. The A-League is a $100 million-plus business and growing in revenue that it generates as a league,” Filopoulos told The Weekend Australian.

“Clubs are generating between $10 million to $20 million per annum in revenue.

“Yes, there are definitely some challenges with attendances and viewership, however, this is not a problem faced by football alone.

“Attendances and viewership is an issue facing all sports, except for AFL, due to the changing environment and how people consume sport these days. Our average attendances are not far away from being the third most attended professional sport in Australia. We have a strong platform the build upon.”

Some of the strongest criticism revolving around the A-League is that many believe it has becoming boring and predictable due to the fact there are only 10 clubs, who play each other three times a season.

Take in the FFA Cup and A-League finals and it is possible some of them could play each other as many as five times in a season. It’s overkill.

Expansion is the buzz word at the moment but FFA have been slow in bringing an increase in the A-League to the table.

Filopoulos says it is vital that the league expands to 12 then 14 teams.

“We have to grow the A-League and strengthen the existing competition by ensuring the operating model enables all existing clubs to be sustainable at which point we must look at expanding the A-League to 12 then 14 teams,” he says. “Ten teams in the A-League is not enough and it’s time we were bold in our vision.

“Scheduling is also an issue. Playing games at 7pm on a Sunday in non-holiday periods has not served us well.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/vanishing-aleague-fans-vote-with-feet/news-story/536a31d1cf06c4a1ad6da71286012da4

Funnily enough, I think there were some serious issues from last week (not just highlighted above) that had we had a good game, high attendance & good ratings I’m positive they would have found there way into the mainstream.

Luckily enough, Australian football has a way of shooting itself in the foot every so often that it wasn’t necessary.

There’s always an excuse. Weather, other events, time of day, week, year... these are not excuses, that’s life! The whole world doesn’t just stop cause the A-League is on. I’m sick of hearing excuses used as if they’re 1 in 100 year occurrences that have come completely out of left field. 

I like O’Rourke cause he’s optimistic and ambitious unlike the rest of the FFA but realism isn’t his strong suit. 

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic