2017/18 EPL & F.A Cup thread

Mat Ryan apparently made a few more shockers in the 2-0 loss to Leicester. Tough start to life in the EPL. You wonder how long he'll last as #1 if he keeps making simple errors.

United look the goods, but how will they go against the big boys? Knowing Mourinho they'll just park the bus anyway.

On 20/08/2017 at 10:52 AM, Carns said:

Mat Ryan apparently made a few more shockers in the 2-0 loss to Leicester. Tough start to life in the EPL. You wonder how long he'll last as #1 if he keeps making simple errors.

United look the goods, but how will they go against the big boys? Knowing Mourinho they'll just park the bus anyway.

Shocker? On the replay it went through a few bodies and has spilled it. Really really harsh to call that a shocker but not a good start after the mistake last week. The second goal had nothing to do with Ryan.

I think being the EPL, being a club who will be in the relegation battle and throw in some of tall poppy syndrome of taking people down a peg, it's all a bit of crap.

20 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

Shocker? On the replay it went through a few bodies and has spilled it. Really really harsh to call that a shocker but not a good start after the mistake last week. The second goal had nothing to do with Ryan.

I think being the EPL, being a club who will be in the relegation battle and throw in some of tall poppy syndrome of taking people down a peg, it's all a bit of crap.

He fumbled and parried the ball straight into an opposition player, that individual moment, was a bit of a shocker (and I fully admit that BHA's defence is shithouse). Combined with him doing it last week too and the pressure will mount on him. I still have big wraps on Ryan, but he'll need to settle quickly in order to regain the confidence of his manager and the fans. He is still young, so mistakes are expected, but with 2 goals that he has contributed to in 2 weeks, he'll be under pressure.

It's not tall poppy syndrome, it is the reality of the threat of relegation. I wonder if the draw of playing in the EPL was so strong that perhaps it wasn't fully considered whether the team is the right fit for him? It's only 2 games, it's not the end of the world, but you wouldn't want him to make the same mistake(s) next week.

The fumble/parry

As a keeper, when the defense is that close, you don't see the ball clearly and then goes through some bodies to get to the keeper, that is a nightmare scenario. The words described "fumbled then parried into the opposition" does no justice to situation the keeper was in. Admittedly I thought last week was pretty poor mistake and should have done better. Lucky, more people were focused on the defender scoring the own goal rather than Ryan's error.

Re: Tall poppy - That was more comments I saw on twitter from Australians rather than proper punditary criticsim.

EFL Cup 3rd round draw is from Beijing of all places at around 1:15pm our time this afternoon I think (could be wrong on that timing). I think that is like 4:15am in the UK lol Why are they doing this, anyway chance to listen in to a draw at a non crazy time I suppose.

14 hours ago, Carns said:

Didn't see it live, but it was a peach.

Jury is still out for me, he's obviously a good player, not convinced he was worth his price tag though.

Your thoughts?

No footballer is worth what is being paid these days, so on that basis no.

But I think he is going to be ace for us. Pickford and Keane look great and Rooney  is doing well, it's good times 

18 minutes ago, pseudonym said:

Huddersfield 0 Southampton 0

Newcastle 3 West Ham 0

serves us right :lol:

I read the Guardian match report. Mooy was missing from any commentary.

in the other Aussie interest game, Ryan kept a clean sheet against a 10 man Watford but the result was 0-0 as well.