Around the Bloc Podcast Season 6 Megathread

Hi all and welcome to Around the Bloc season 6! (2017-18 A-League season).

Doing something different this year, we'll have all the ATB episodes and info in this one megathread so as to promote discussion and it doesn't get lost amongst all the individual threads for every episode.

Remember to check us out at all our interweb and social media pages.

web: http://www.aroundthebloc.com.au

Twitter: @ATBWSW

Facebook

Instagram

Add us on Snapchat

Soundcloud

ATB YouTube

Around The Bloc: S06E01: ATB vs WSW CEO John Tsatsimas

Our first episode of Season 6 is an interview with Western Sydney Wanderers CEO John Tsatsimas.
Stephen and Josh headed to WSW HQ in Rooty Hill to discuss a range of topics including: the club’s long term vision, community engagement, fans, coaching, players, FFA and the structure of the A-League. This is Around the Bloc.

On your podcast feed or on our website here:

http://www.aroundthebloc.com.au/601-atb-vs-wsw-ceo-john-tsatsimas/

Around The Bloc on Facebook

Around The Bloc on Twitter

Around the Bloc on instagram

17 hours ago, Zakman said:

Great interview and insight into what Tsatsimas has to deal with in his position. You can really hear the frustration in his voice about the balancing act he has to perform to keep everyone directly and indirectly connected to the club happy.

And especially about football becoming one of the prime influencers on local govt and state govt decisions that affect all of us in Western Sydney. Loved it when he said, as football, we should have local grounds not AFL.

For instance, we need to keep places like Jamison Park in Penrith as a football venue. Neean Association finals being played on the 9 FOOTBALL fields over 2 days. There is one Rugby League field and multiple netball courts AND no AFL fields. We need to keep it that way.

2 hours ago, Paul01 said:

And especially about football becoming one of the prime influencers on local govt and state govt decisions that affect all of us in Western Sydney. Loved it when he said, as football, we should have local grounds not AFL.

For instance, we need to keep places like Jamison Park in Penrith as a football venue. Neean Association finals being played on the 9 FOOTBALL fields over 2 days. There is one Rugby League field and multiple netball courts AND no AFL fields. We need to keep it that way.

I couldn't agree more. That's a fantastic venue for association soccer. I'd hate to see it lost to AFL. There's enough cricket grounds that could be utilised. 

So finally able to catch the JT interview. Great job gents.

Dealing with CEOs and various senior corporate heads over the years has made it difficult for me to listen to one speak without instantly extracting the fluff in their speech, but I think you brought out some great football discussion, imo.

I'll spare you my thoughts on his social ideology, which i think should have been challenged.

Finally, on this comment: JT "How do we get the TV rights that an AFL has, that and NRL has?" - well,  you get to the position where 100 years of existence and incorporation into generations of a society creates a culture to give you the commercial exposure to make it a viable investment. I made the comment a few years back that FFA can very likely surpass that if it takes Asia a bit more seriously because that market already has that. Interested to hear others' thoughts. Maybe I'm missing something.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/09/2017 at 9:56 AM, redandblack said:

I made the comment a few years back that FFA can very likely surpass that if it takes Asia a bit more seriously because that market already has that. Interested to hear others' thoughts. Maybe I'm missing something.

I think Australia when presented with opportunity in the space of football has dropped the ball and has had to learn from its many mistakes time and time again. Truly a head meet wall scenario in my opinion. 

Have heard it many times with the likes of JW and Ange approaching the governing body and/or the actual Federal government to use football as a means to open dialogue with China and the likes. Instead the government sends AFL ffs.

Also we can't even watch the ACL here on Foxsports despite them having the rights. They refuse to show the later rounds once an A-League team is knocked out.

Then they have the hide to go on air on TV and in their podcasts to say that Australians haven't taken to the ACL the way we should be.

NEW EPISODE!!!11!!

602 – Keeping Our Defence

Being Wanderers fans we’re used to losing the best and being left with the rest, however we feel that things are different this off-season.

First, we look at our goalkeepers and defenders.

This is Around The Bloc.

Check your podcast app feed or get it direct on our website:

http://www.aroundthebloc.com.au/602-keeping-our-defence/

It's nitpicking I know, but Erebus' levels were very low this episode. It was a struggle to hear on the train when compared to everyone else. I'm sure there are any number of rational technical reasons why it was like this, but I figured the feedback might be useful.

Great show overall though team! Loved it as usual. Miss JAR and Maddy though   :sorry:

9 hours ago, smp said:

It's nitpicking I know, but Erebus' levels were very low this episode. It was a struggle to hear on the train when compared to everyone else. I'm sure there are any number of rational technical reasons why it was like this, but I figured the feedback might be useful.

Great show overall though team! Loved it as usual. Miss JAR and Maddy though   :sorry:

Yeah I noticed it too but I think I was the cause of it as I was holding the microphone instead of it being in it's normal position like everyone else was so my voice may have been louder in comparison at times. 

My bad. I noticed it too. I haven't recorded with these guys in a while and the mic is different to my more sensitive condenser mic I used for OTB where we just just it up between us and I just talked. I think Nick was adjusting levels throughout so hopefully the next episode its more balanced.

Another EPISODE

603 – The Middle Men

In our last episode we dug into our goalkeepers and defenders.

So, just as the ball is played from keeper to defender to the midfield (most of the time anyway), our midfielders are up for discussion.

This is Around The Bloc.

http://www.aroundthebloc.com.au/603-the-middle-men/

Final episode in our recruitment trilogy

604 – The Final Frontier

Having looked at our goalkeepers, defence and midfield, we now look to our what some would call most vital positions on the field: attack.

This is Around The Bloc.

Get it on your podcast app, iTunes our website:

http://www.aroundthebloc.com.au/604-the-final-frontier/