2017/18 UEFA Champions League

Carns

Will be interesting to see if Tommy Oar's APOEL can secure any points (considered unlikely). What a turnaround for Oar, from an average Roar season to UCL group of death.

Rogic will also be up against it with PSG and Bayern.

And what a story for little old Qarabag. The first team from Azerbaijan to qualify for the group stages facing 3 of the bigger teams from England, Spain and Italy. Imagine what it'll be like for their players and fans playing away against Chelsea, Athleti and Roma? Something to tell the grandkids.

The other interesting subplot will be Diego Costa. He's pushing for a move from Chelsea to Athletico and now they've been drawn in the same group.

Athletico were probably the preferred choice for Chelsea as they wouldn't have been selling to a direct rival (e.g. Matic lol), not anymore. You just know if he goes there he'll score against them.

The rumour was that he'd go out on loan until the ban is lifted. Of course the group stage will be over by then so you're right, he won't play against Chelsea.

Also the Europa League draw is currently live on the UEFA website.

5 minutes ago, Carns said:

Not sure if serious?

Meh, if you can't beat the third best French and Italian teams, along with a team from Cyprus, you can't/shouldn't really compete in Europe anyway.

Nek minnet, we get dicked and finish third in the group :P (bloody Everton :nono:).

It's as close to a group of death as you can get in the Europa League. Everton should have more than enough to get through comfortably but the draw could have been easier.

2 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

I'm back in Liverpool next month so hoping for a home europa league game while I'm there. Unfortunately no home league games I can make while I'm there. 

28/9 first Europa home game vs. Appollon.

19/10 second Europa home game vs. Lyon.

20 hours ago, Davo said:

It's as close to a group of death as you can get in the Europa League. Everton should have more than enough to get through comfortably but the draw could have been easier.

Yep, Lyon are no easybeats and have an impressive squad. Atlanta last year impressed having a young squad with lots of talent but have the bare bones. Underestimate Lyon and Atalanta at your own cost.

21 hours ago, Davo said:

The rumour was that he'd go out on loan until the ban is lifted. Of course the group stage will be over by then so you're right, he won't play against Chelsea.

Also the Europa League draw is currently live on the UEFA website.

He also hasn't had a preseason refusing to return to Chelsea after the fall out after the end of last season. I'd think it would take him a month or two to get him match fit anyway!

• 3 weeks later...

Juve played a B team and half those that started have barely had any minutes on the pitch prior to this match. The draw was really strange this year. Juve were the seeded team but play away to Barca on MD1 and play away in MD6.

But I can't see Juve going too deep in this years UCL. Quarter Finals at best imo.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Gotta laugh at PSG even though I can't stand Madrid...would be hilarious if they went out in the 2nd round. 

Overloading your team with attacking talent just doesn't work at that level. Even when Madrid tried it with the Galacticos it didn't work. PSG's team looked so imbalanced...Mbappe is a brilliant player but he looked lost out there. Neymar pretty much never passes the ball and you can tell the other two hate him. 

And they had Di Maria, Pastore and Draxler on the bench! Would have made much more sense to play Di Maria on the right. 

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, GunnerWanderer said:

Barca vs Roma 
Sevilla vs Munich 
Juve vs real 
City vs Liverpool

Looks like the poms finally figured way to make the semi’s..

play each other 

real, Barca, Munich and 50/50 for me

Juve more likely to contain Real.

Liverpool and the Oilers to go to penalties.

• 3 weeks later...