Condolences (RIP)

He was probably much more or a bloke's bloke, than a bloke who appealed to women...although plenty of women obviously loved 

I thought that Hazel was treated badly.....but I liked his larrikinism (sp??)...and I certainly appreciated his policies, especially his stance on environmental issues.

And I am sad to see him pass.

37 minutes ago, wendybr said:

He was probably much more or a bloke's bloke, than a bloke who appealed to women...although plenty of women obviously loved 

Given the amount of women who did like him, he seems like one of those guys who many women may want to dislike for his womanising but when they get to know him the charisma wins out.

Saw him videoconference in to a debate on the abc a few years back (Q&A??). Old and tottering and still totally brained them. Easily the most engaging person on the show, which had regular schmoes, media people and politicians from both sides. He slayed them all.

51 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I thought that Hazel was treated badly.....but I liked his larrikinism (sp??)...and I certainly appreciated his policies, especially his stance on environmental issues.

And I am sad to see him pass.

And what male leader appeals to women? Perhaps Trudeau or Macron? Both up to their necks in shyte. 

38 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Given the amount of women who did like him, he seems like one of those guys who many women may want to dislike for his womanising but when they get to know him the charisma wins out.

Saw him videoconference in to a debate on the abc a few years back (Q&A??). Old and tottering and still totally brained them. Easily the most engaging person on the show, which had regular schmoes, media people and politicians from both sides. He slayed them all.

Yes he certainly had a disarming manner, charisma and a quick sense of humour that were all very appealing.

And I have to say, his tears in public ...for his heroin addicted daughter, his wrongdoing against Hazel and for the courage of  " tank man" and the students at Tiannanmen Square, appealed to me. Lol.

They showed a sensitive side, in contrast to the hard drinking, womanizing, blokey bloke

Gotta respect a man who can show his softer side like that.

Well.... I do. :D

12 minutes ago, wendybr said:

How???

At work...but not Jack's outline :D

She came to open a new research lab in her capacity as a scientist as much as a politician, she has a scientific background. I tagged along with some German researchers we had working with us that i supported. She stopped and asked what each of us were doing there.

VERY nice person.

RIP Niki Lauda.

I started watching F1 mid 80's and so can't remember his late 70's driving. 

Had a horrendous crash that gave him terrible burns and he had the last rites given but made a miraculous recovery and was back driving within a few months and competing against his great rival James Hunt.

F1 is still dangerous but back then those guys really had balls of steel. What a time the late 70's and 80's were for racing. Can hear Murray Walkers commentary now screaming out Prost, Senna, Mansell, Lauda...Sunday afternoons outside the football season sat on the floor in front of the TV  then going out for a kick around with my mates. That what memories Lauda brings back.

• 3 weeks later...

Just seen that Justin Edinburgh has died of a heart attack aged 49! No age at all.

If you watched the EPL in the 90's and a few years before the EPL even started you would remember him. Played for Tottenham and was a decent player i recall.

Was manager of Leyton Orient and had just guided them back to the football league with promotion from the National League. Had just returned from seeing Spurs in Madrid also.

Only 9 years older than me ffs! RIP Justin, i remember seeing you at Ayresome.

Edited by Erimus
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, JackDoff said:

RIP Rutger Hauer

:(

another part of my youth gone...

Jack, I am a bit concerned at the amount of attention you give to various people's passing.

To an extent I am in the same boat though.  It is more and more as though everyone I have memories of has gone and the ones who are here now I don't know.

5 hours ago, LeeMarvin said:

Jack, I am a bit concerned at the amount of attention you give to various people's passing.

To an extent I am in the same boat though.  It is more and more as though everyone I have memories of has gone and the ones who are here now I don't know.

A couple of nights ago, I woke up during the middle of the night and for some reason thought of my time in PNG when it struck me that all the locals, indigenous and westerners, that I met/knew while I was there are now more likely to be dead than alive - except for the politicians who I've noticed on the news - and then I went back to sleep.

10 hours ago, LeeMarvin said:

Despite the smart alec persona on show here, Jack is obviously a sensitive soul! He IS almost always the first to offer condolences, isn't he? 

😊😊

7 hours ago, LeeMarvin said:

I think you'll find that as you get older ( I certainly do ) that as people you watched or listened to in your youth pass away you get a little nostalgic and melanchonic about days gone by. I certainly don't think there is anything wrong with recognizing peoples passing. The obituraries of the newspapers are full of 'em.:ninja:

• 2 weeks later...