Prydzopolis

Condolences (RIP)

3 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

The Goodies was before my time but remember watching the reruns as a kid. Tim Brooke-Taylor could have been a Python at one stage.

Very sad.

The Goodies used to be on here at 6.30 pm before the ABC news. They were both painful  to watch, and funny at the same time but never quite reached the Python level. Tim Brooke-Taylor was indeed the clever one and was certainly Python-esque.

Just now, wendybr said:

Yes - he was in the precursor...The Last of the 1948 Show - as above.

Via the Cambridge footlights like some of the other Pythons 

7 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

The Goodies was before my time but remember watching the reruns as a kid. Tim Brooke-Taylor could have been a Python at one stage.

Very sad.

The Goodies were actually funny unlike most of the Python stuff I've seen

1 minute ago, Edinburgh said:

The Goodies were actually funny unlike most of the Python stuff I've seen

Pfffffft!

If you say so!  :rofl:

7 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

The Goodies used to be on here at 6.30 pm before the ABC news. They were both painful  to watch, and funny at the same time but never quite reached the Python level. Tim Brooke-Taylor was indeed the clever one and was certainly Python-esque.

Yes - a good description - basically it was silly...no....idiotic, but they were likeable, is a goofy sort of way.

Can't compare any of it to the sublime brilliance to Monty Python, though.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Pfffffft!

If you say so!  :rofl:

I don't agree with Wendy on much. but on this occasion I do

O dear lol I think Tim looks out of place with the other two and wishes he got the gig with the Pythons

Edited by Smoggy

6 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Brilliant, cracks me up every time without fail.

9 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh…. you could watch that 1,000,000 times and still find it hilarious! :xnod:

And I could find this funny a million times as well. (Anyway, probably not the right thread for it but, we could all do with a laugh atm).

8 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I don't agree with Wendy on much. but on this occasion I do

O dear lol I think Tim looks out of place with the other two and wishes he got the gig with the Pythons

And considering which thread this is, they leave Coldplay for dead.

PUN Thread,  Ed--->>;)

31 minutes ago, wendybr said:

PUN Thread,  Ed--->>;)

No pun intended!

But, I'll see what I can do.

I think the goodies and python both can exist in their own right. They were both great, but as a young impressionable child, the goodies was just the right level of absurdist subversive comedy for my child brain. I adored that show.

1 hour ago, EmMac said:

I think the goodies and python both can exist in their own right. They were both great, but as a young impressionable child, the goodies was just the right level of absurdist subversive comedy for my child brain. I adored that show.

I watched the reruns in the late 80's over school holidays, they used to be on in the winter / spring time school holls. It all seemed a bit old school 70's naff to me. The world was moving on by then to things like Harry Enfield and the Fast Show. I would often put the Goodies on and end up turning it off half way through. 

Yep I LOVED them as a kid - I'm sure they were on at 6:30 at one point Wanderboy, but I remember them being on at 4:30 because I had to do music practice before it at 4 o'clock and when they took it off air at one point I actually wrote a letter to the ABC to complain, and they wrote back to me! - but I have watched them recently and they don't hold up that well. In many places, really badly.  But like Em said, one of the first thing to really tickle the absurdist/anarchic kind of funny bone.

Tim was my favourite one as a kid. Bill was too adult and Graham too dry/straight.

Growing up in the UK I had just entered my teens when The Goodies and Monty Python entered our screens. Previously my comedy 'fix' was numerous sit-coms and also radio shows like "Round the Horn" and "I'm sorry I'll read that again". From memory The Goodies was a BBC1 prime time show whilst Monty Python was hidden away on BBC2. I really enjoyed the Goodies at the time and didn't fully appreciate Monty Python until my late teens. Whenever there are repeats these days I can still get a laugh out of Monty Python but not the Goodies. All talented guys but by and large the Monty Python crew had more longevity.

6 hours ago, marron said:

Yep I LOVED them as a kid - I'm sure they were on at 6:30 at one point Wanderboy, but I remember them being on at 4:30 because I had to do music practice before it at 4 o'clock and when they took it off air at one point I actually wrote a letter to the ABC to complain, and they wrote back to me! - but I have watched them recently and they don't hold up that well. In many places, really badly.  But like Em said, one of the first thing to really tickle the absurdist/anarchic kind of funny bone.

Tim was my favourite one as a kid. Bill was too adult and Graham too dry/straight.

Funny, i had a  different experience. I watched a few clips today and it took me straight back. Still l love it, and still made me chuckle. Python is good, of course, but here's my unpopular opinion,  i think sometimes there's an awareness of hey look, we're super smart surrealist, existentialist comedians from the python gang. i loved python, but in terms of really influencing my formative brain, theres a rawness to the goodies, less awareness, a pure silliness that spoke to me as a child

Posted (edited)

RIP former Leeds and England player Norman 'bite yer legs' Hunter. Another lost to covid.

Before my time but from the clips i have seen the nickname fits. Uncompromising centre half does't justify. In short my kind of player!

Up there with the dirtiest players to play the game and so dirty Leeds was the right home.

RIP Norman....different times and era....played hard and had respect. Famous on pitch fight between him and Franny Lee of Man City i think.

I bet Martin Tyler seen him play against Forest.

Edited by Smoggy

Hunter V Lee

Franny looks like he is winning the fight towards the end actually. Beautiful stuff.......

4 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

RIP A League

It has been cremated and the ashes sent to foxtel.

RIP Sam Lloyd

only 56

RIP Shad Gaspard.

Some may not know of him...but he was a former WWE professional wrestler. I don't watch much wrestling these days (mainly just the occasional big events like Wrestlemania or the Royal Rumble) but when I was watching it a few years ago, I honestly thought he was a very under-rated, talented wrestler that never got the push to the main card.

I have to admit, what he did is really touching. Shad and his 10 year old son went swimming on Sunday afternoon just after the beaches were re-opened around Venice Beach and they both got swept out in the ocean. He directed the lifeguards to save his son first before disappearing after a wave crash crashed down on him and submerging him. 

His body was found today and coroners confirmed it was him.

He was 39 years old. 

11 hours ago, MathyouWSW said:

RIP Shad Gaspard.

Some may not know of him...but he was a former WWE professional wrestler. I don't watch much wrestling these days (mainly just the occasional big events like Wrestlemania or the Royal Rumble) but when I was watching it a few years ago, I honestly thought he was a very under-rated, talented wrestler that never got the push to the main card.

I have to admit, what he did is really touching. Shad and his 10 year old son went swimming on Sunday afternoon just after the beaches were re-opened around Venice Beach and they both got swept out in the ocean. He directed the lifeguards to save his son first before disappearing after a wave crash crashed down on him and submerging him. 

His body was found today and coroners confirmed it was him.

He was 39 years old. 

Didn’t know where to put, not someone famous or even that I know.

But a young women who worked in the Everton ticket office who was popular with fans, sadly passed away. Given there was no game at which to hold a minutes silence the club did this.

@wendybr power of a club song that has history and genuine meaning to people 

not exactly into japanese wresting but RIP Hana Kimura

21 hours ago, NeverGoat said:

not exactly into japanese wresting but RIP Hana Kimura

Horrible news.
Only 22
It has not been the best week within the wrestling industry