• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One for the poms on the board..

RIP Bobby Ball (Cannon and Ball comedy act). Died of covid

Northern England 'end of pier' slap stick type comedy..some here will know what I mean by that. To an adult they were lame as ****..but to a 7 or 8 year old kid in the 80's I loved them for a few years..happy childhood memories...

Edited by Smoggy
12 hours ago, Smoggy said:

One for the poms on the board..

RIP Bobby Ball (Cannon and Ball comedy act). Died of covid

Northern England 'end of pier' slap stick type comedy..some here will know what I mean by that. To an adult they were lame as ****..but to a 7 or 8 year old kid in the 80's I loved them for a few years..happy childhood memories...

I was an adult in the 80s so yeah...lame as...but not a good way to go....RIP Bobby

7 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

I was an adult in the 80s so yeah...lame as...but not a good way to go....RIP Bobby

I get that. I watched a few clips back from their show in the 80's and it makes you cringe....but as a young kid thought they were funny. Its panto humour isn't it.

Also RIP JJ Williams the great Welsh and Lions rugby player from the 70's and he also sprinted for Wales in the Commonwealth games. Part of the great Wales side of the 70's that some say was one of the greatest sides ever.

Before my time..but I went to a high school where rugby union was the game and my teacher was from wales and that side was all he went on about.

Edited by Smoggy
3 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Also RIP JJ Williams the great Welsh and Lions rugby player from the 70's and he also sprinted for Wales in the Commonwealth games. Part of the great Wales side of the 70's that some say was one of the greatest sides ever.

Before my time..but I went to a high school where rugby union was the game and my teacher was from wales and that side was all he went on about.

Despite being English I was in awe of the great Welsh rugby teams of the 70s....also fondly remember that famous Barbarians v All Blacks game

26 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

21 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

Despite being English I was in awe of the great Welsh rugby teams of the 70s....also fondly remember that famous Barbarians v All Blacks game

The Kiwis were not shy about going for the head.....lol

Nobby in his Boro days in the classic 1970's strip, part of one of the greatest sides Boro ever put out

B60BB0FA-DACC-46D4-9C7D-0AEE8894895C.jpeg

Nobby marking Georgie Best, Boro in their classic Inter Milan blue and black striped away strip

EEF4BB16-5EBD-407C-8171-4B7514539704.jpeg

The classic 70's team, around 1974, Nobby the short fella in the middle, a young Graeme Souness on the far left. This is what all Boro home strips are measured against.

Screenshot_20201028_031538.jpg

Nobby was little midfield dynamo Rottweiler, constantly snapping at the heels of the opposition. He wasn't pretty to watch but **** he was effective. He did the hard graft so that players like Bobby Charlton could do their thing. Before the world cup semi final in 66 against Portugal Alf asked Nobby to 'Take Eusebio out', Nobby responded ' just this game or for good?' lol Nobby was kidding a bit there lol He got stuck in but only so far. He man marked Eusebio anyway and did his job. Nobby and Jackie Charlton were the hard grafters of the England 66 team for sure.

When he played for Middlesbrough he wore contact lenses and during the first half at Ayresome he lost one. At half time he asked someone to go out and look for it and they asked 'where roughly do you think it would be'..another Boro player responded 'in the ******* centre circle, he never ******* moves from there'. :D

Nobby's knees were ****ed by the time he signed for us and was playing though pain much of the time, but always did his job.

RIP Nobby lad, you have earned it.

Edited by Smoggy