Foxe's Men Hunt Down Glory

Oriol Riera scored his first A-League goal for the Wanderers, with Jumpei Kusukami adding a second to help Hayden Foxe to his maiden managerial win as his side ran out 2-1 winners over Perth Glory tonight.

With Hayden Foxe taking over as caretaker from the departed Tony Popovic, the Wanderers lined up as expected in the same formation they've used since inception. The home side were well on top for the entire first half, but it took 42 minutes for the Wanderers to breach the stoic Perth backline. Alvaro Cejudo picked up a loose ball 25 yards out from goal, before threading a cute reverse pass for the #9 Riera. The big striker made no mistake with the calm right foot finish past Liam Reddy.

In the moments before half-time the Wanderers doubled their lead. With Perth failing to track back after losing possession from an attacking corner, Brendan Hamill galloped into an acre of space down the right flank, before passing through for Jumpei, who flashed a toe poke past the onrushing Reddy.

Oriol Riera could have had a hat-trick early in the second half. Chris Herd dinked a chip over the Perth defence that Riera could only snatch at the shot and put it well over the bar. Not longer after he put a head over goal again.

Perth came back as they always do, laying siege to the Wanderers defence and eventually profiting through a Wanderers own goal. Andy Keogh headed a cross in towards goal, taking an extremely harsh deflection off the knee of Hamill to take it past the despairing Janjetovic. The Glory kept attacking but were unable to penetrate the Wanderers goal of their own accord, giving the Wanderers a 2-1 win and their best opening to a season ever.

The Wanderers face the Central Coast next weekend on Saturday, 5:45PM kick-off at Sydney Showground.

View full article

We will play and win a Derby Grand Final this season. At least that much is clear after this game. If the reconciliation between WST & the RBB sidelines Northgate then that's a heavy price but I never expected to see what I did tonight. New era all round and the team looked unharnessed and free flowing. 

4 minutes ago, tardotz said:

Good performance all round. The new players did very well and the old ones seemed to have improved. Maybe Foxe is not intimidating as Popa and they were more relaxed.

Jumpei had the best game for us since he joined.

I was thinking that too. Although maybe Foxe just has his own ideas about how he likes to play the game. Maybe his game plan gets through to the players in a positive way.

Anyway will give us time to bring in a new manager as the team seems to be in good hands. Maybe we can give Foxe 6 weeks to see what he can do. Who knows?

I also hope this puts to the rest some statements made that when Popa leaves we would suffer. New managers bring in new ideas, and in a lot of cases this can be a good thing.

1 minute ago, bombagol said:

We're going to have some fun this season.

Michael Thwaite tried a bicycle kick. Doesn't get much more fun than that! haha

But yeah, some of the interplay up front was awesome to watch. A centre forward that can hold the ball up with a bunch of attacking mids that can turn their men and play short passes.  Backed up by Herd and Bacuus, supported by Risdon and Llorente. All with the RBB and WST getting along and doing call and response. wooohoo

Very happy with how we played, could have scored a couple more if somebody less competent than Reddy was in goals. Was a relief that we were actually taking shots when we had the chance instead of just passing around the outside of the box, too scared to shoot. Riera has already proven himself to be miles better than Pio and last season Bulut combined, and our other signings are looking great too.

Praise be to Vedran, King of Snakes.

4 minutes ago, Valter43 said:

Also want to give a shoutout to RBB and WST. Great to see them squashing the beef.

Can anyone elaborate on what the WST guy said on the capo stand to wild applause?

I was just above but industrial deafness is kicking in.

Also, the call and response WDYSF between the RBB and WST received applause from the rest of the crowd while it was proceeding. A nice touch

Edited by Wanderboy

Jumpei scoring, Hamil with the assist. Honestly didn't see that coming. 

The Roly / Bacus combination was awesome tonight. Hope that continues. Rieras work rate was also outstanding. 

Our transition was better tonight than it has been. 

No Popa and we finally win a round 1 game. Hopefully a good sign for the game at the end of the season...

Also, what was the first one the RBB did tonight? Heard it a few time and keep forgetting to ask.

I don't think we're going to be seeing Clisby for a while.

Llorente is class. 

Incredible first half, didn't give them an inch. My only concern was taking our foot off the pedal in the second half leading to some really desperate scrambling and letting Glory back into the game. I know it's only round 1, but we should have killed them off a lot earlier. 2-0, the most dangerous scoreline.

We still have Risdon to come back too.

Promising signs all round, not getting carried away until I see how we go up against the big guns. 

Tough game next week, Mariners will be on the bounce back wanting to prove something. 

26 minutes ago, tardotz said:
37 minutes ago, wanderersfanatic said:

Raul Llorente is Polenz 2.0, can defend and make plays 

I was thinking the season thing .....happy days😀

I was mightily impressed with Raul...I thought Polenz too...hopefully he can continue

We clearly suffered when Roly and Oriel tired, and Cejudo came off - but so much to be happy about

1 hour ago, btron3000 said:

Cejudo - well he was arguing with the ref about going off the far side when he got replaced and then he walked along the line with one foot in the field and waved the ref away when he told him to walk outside the pitch. haha good westie style distaste for authority.

What a load of garbage that was. While the player is under no obligation to leave from halfway next to the technical area under the laws of the game, there is nothing that allows the referee to bully a player into leaving the field of play in any particular location in order to benefit one side by having play resume faster than it might otherwise have done.

If the player is timewasting, give them a card and add on stoppage time. Not practically shove them off the pitch and force them to walk the entire way around the field. Pathetic refereeing.