Popovic Abroad (Popa Watch)

2 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

I’m guessing this is not likely, the board resigned and were hoping someone was going to take over to pump some money into the club. I’m not 100% he will get the payout.

Surely he'll get it eventually through arbitration if he has to.

• 10 months later...

I happened across the Turkish league ladder on my internetting, and looked into his old club. After getting relegated in last place at the end of last season only picking up a few draws after Popa's exit, they are currently on negative two points after 10 games in the 2nd division, after being punished for incurring of debts. Their squad is comprised almost entirely of 18 to 20 year old academy players. They've scored 2 goals. Conceded 27. Only drawn 1 game. Nailed on for another relegation and a fairly good chance of failing to reach positive points or even 0.

2 hours ago, mack said:

I happened across the Turkish league ladder on my internetting, and looked into his old club. After getting relegated in last place at the end of last season only picking up a few draws after Popa's exit, they are currently on negative two points after 10 games in the 2nd division, after being punished for incurring of debts. Their squad is comprised almost entirely of 18 to 20 year old academy players. They've scored 2 goals. Conceded 27. Only drawn 1 game. Nailed on for another relegation and a fairly good chance of failing to reach positive points or even 0.

wow, sounds like a team which is perfect for matt simon

8 hours ago, mack said:

For somebody who is renowned for doing his research and being very particular, I still don’t understand why Popa thought that going to that club would be a good idea. 

9 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

For somebody who is renowned for doing his research and being very particular, I still don’t understand why Popa thought that going to that club would be a good idea. 

M.O.N.E.Y.........which never happened any way as the club was broke.Also he wants to coach in Europe I think and he saw the Turkish club as a stepping stone.

1 hour ago, btron3000 said:

I believe him when he says that he went because he got full say over the staff and football. He wanted control and thought he’d get it. 

Very much this. He believed what he was told. With hindsight, he should've had more scepticism of a notoriously fickle league (and, more specifically, highly fickle club - multiple managers in a few seasons).

• 2 years later...
43 minutes ago, MathyouWSW said:

Aren't they sitting mid-table as well? 
I'm assuming they did this for budget cuts. I wonder if Jurman, Izzo, Brilliante and Elliott will leave as well.

Perfect fit for Melbourne Victory if they sack Brebner

From the report, they had won 3 of their last 4. Agree there must be more to it than performance. If not, tough task masters. 

I am sure Victory will be contemplating it. I did notice overnight that their foundation shareholder and board member Richard Wilson quit the club. Apparently a disagreement with the direction of the club. I wonder if this had anything to do with a plan to get, or not get, Popa as their coach.