10 Men Mariners Hold Wanderers To Draw

My daughter and I have been trying to get our son, (an RBB member) to get a chant going based on TISM's "The history of Western Civilisation". Has a brilliant chorus and takes the p@*# like any good westie anthem should while making a point. I am too technically inept to post a link but check it out on YouTube sometime. 

9 minutes ago, Potkorok said:

My daughter and I have been trying to get our son, (an RBB member) to get a chant going based on TISM's "The history of Western Civilisation". Has a brilliant chorus and takes the p@*# like any good westie anthem should while making a point. I am too technically inept to post a link but check it out on YouTube sometime. 

Excellent choice sir

https://youtu.be/w0sSf5PiUCU

21 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Standing around listening to Coldplay while holding a scarf above your head won’t loosen the people up who sit round near me. 

Which Coldplay did you have in mind? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Since I'm killing time, I'll confess that I've sometimes thought that a snippet of this would be great as a goal celebration.... for those of us who aren't going to throw beer over each other and "go f.ucking mental" that is?! :lol::lol:

From 4.25 - 4.42 

WOO HOO!!

But I acknowledge that it won't happen :rofl:

Altho this Woo Hoo would be great!!

12 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Where were you at Pirtek? Bay 7????

Are you talking now or back at Pirtek?

Yes Bay 7 at Pirtek. While the participation in that bay grew and then dropped off over the time we were there, at its worst it was still evident. But at spotless it's non existent.

28 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

Yes Bay 7 at Pirtek. While the participation in that bay grew and then dropped off over the time we were there, at its worst it was still evident. But at spotless it's non existent.

But there again....that kind of illustrates what I've been trying to say.

Bay 7, I think is right in the middle of the stadium....and you're saying it took a while to grow there...and then dropped off. 

Half way down the stadium, and it's nothing like it is 3-4 bays away from the RBB.

If it's hit and miss half way down the stadium, it's a graveyard down as far as Bay 3.

But people up the other end have no idea - there is no perspective if you haven't moved around the stadium....and people think it's the same everywhere.

Having said that.....we're talking Western stand.

The participation in the East is better, I'm going to say it....it's just that it is so punishing sitting over there in the Sun.

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

But there again....that kind of illustrates what I've been trying to say.

Bay 7, I think is right in the middle of the stadium....and you're saying it took a while to grow there...and then dropped off. 

Half way down the stadium, and it's nothing like it is 3-4 bays away from the RBB.

If it's hit and miss half way down the stadium, it's a graveyard down as far as Bay 3.

But people up the other end have no idea - there is no perspective if you haven't moved around the stadium....and people think it's the same everywhere.

Having said that.....we're talking Western stand.

The participation in the East is better, I'm going to say it....it's just that it is so punishing sitting over there in the Sun.

I was in bay 4 I think for the ACL knockout games and was surprised at the lack of involvement there but I didn't think the problem was distance from the RBB. 

4 hours ago, wendybr said:

I've got three arguments against that being a legitimate example....much as I treasure that moment!!!!!!

Firstly the stadium was already electrified in that instance. It was a highly charged Victory game and a goal had been scored. The stadium was already THERE in terms of the intensity of the crowd's excitement and passion.

But isn’t that one of the main reasons people don’t want to force a walk-out song?

If people aren’t fired up at the start of the game, do we really want a plastic attempt at firing us up?

I don’t.

Just play some good tunes up until the players walk out and then let the crowd do its own thing.

On the subject of tunes, I always liked the Led Zeppelin-P Diddy Kashmir mashup. They used to play it at Eels games. Was good. Any atmospheric music is fine. But then get out the way.

3 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

I was in bay 4 I think for the ACL knockout games and was surprised at the lack of involvement there but I didn't think the problem was distance from the RBB. 

Yes...we ended up with tickets there for some of those ACL games too.....but just headed up to the other end of the stadium. ..... where there were usually plenty of seats.

You're probably right...

Distance from the RBB certainly doesn't help...but maybe the people there have never experienced being kind of an extension of the RBB..... which you can feel you are up in Bay 48 territory.

And so they aren't used to participating as much as those closer to active supporters.

2 hours ago, btron3000 said:

But isn’t that one of the main reasons people don’t want to force a walk-out song?

If people aren’t fired up at the start of the game, do we really want a plastic attempt at firing us up?

I don’t.

Just play some good tunes up until the players walk out and then let the crowd do its own thing.

On the subject of tunes, I always liked the Led Zeppelin-P Diddy Kashmir mashup. They used to play it at Eels games. Was good. Any atmospheric music is fine. But then get out the way.

Hahaha... we're on different sides of the fence then Btron.  I guess good pregame music is something...but nowhere near as powerful and engaging as a walkout song that 30,000 (think AAMI with Victory),  or 95,000 people (YNWA in Melbourne) sing along with.  :):)

"Organic" I've been hearing for the past 5 seasons - and I just don't think it's going to happen.

IF the club experiments with possible plastic stuff (and I don't deny it would start off as "plastic") and the non RBB people get somewhat "fired up" - I'd be thrilled.

The alternative is what has happened since, I think season 3....when the club stopped firing up the crowd pre-game with the sample WDWSF and the Gangnam Style stuff that kids loved. Those 2 pregame features (and NOONE would argue that either should be returned) actually DID loosen people up. Heaps.

Now, for those in the stands, there is NOTHING....and it shows at the start of games.

And it carries all the way through until a possible goal, which sparks up engagement.

PS  Can't remember if you are RBB? As I said somewhere above, if so, you guys would be energised in a way the the rest of the stadium is not.

1 hour ago, mack said:

uhuh, yeah.

It's a song about Godzilla.

Prefer it without P Daddy...if it's just being used as excitement building music.... but YES Kashmir - this or the original builds excitement.

I forget how Marron ( I think) described/analysed it.... but there is tension....and it rises....and soars. That's great.

8 minutes ago, wendybr said:

PS  Can't remember if you are RBB? As I said somewhere above, if so, you guys would be energised in a way the the rest of the stadium is not.

I stand in RBB but don’t know the main players.

My opinion is: if people want atmosphere, they can sit near RBB or start their own group. Some people might like being away from the chaos?

Trying to create atmosphere for others is bogus. Everyone should just enjoy their own experience.

3 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

My opinion is: if people want atmosphere, they can sit near RBB or start their own group. Some people might like being away from the chaos?

Trying to create atmosphere for others is bogus. Everyone should just enjoy their own experience.

Preferably without pre game music

5 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

:good:

14 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

My opinion is: if people want atmosphere, they can sit near RBB or start their own group.

LOL.... far far easier said than done.  Unfortunately.

Some people might like being away from the chaos?

Probably. :fool:   :wacko::blink::huh::fool:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wendy, when I say something like a walk out song should be allowed to happen organically I don't mean that the club shouldn't play a few candidates over the PA pregame. They just shouldn't announce that 'this is the walk out song'.

They should play good songs that they think will pump people up. Eventually people who are really keen on a walk out song will indicate that they like a particular song. If enough people like it the club will play it closer and closer to kick off. If it sticks then we have a new walk out song. If it doesn't stick after ~14 home games, then try another candidate.

13 minutes ago, DinoPresinger said:

Wendy, when I say something like a walk out song should be allowed to happen organically I don't mean that the club shouldn't play a few candidates over the PA pregame. They just shouldn't announce that 'this is the walk out song'.

They should play good songs that they think will pump people up. Eventually people who are really keen on a walk out song will indicate that they like a particular song. If enough people like it the club will play it closer and closer to kick off. If it sticks then we have a new walk out song. If it doesn't stick after ~14 home games, then try another candidate.

Woo Hoo!  :clapping::clapping:

NOW we're on the same page - entirely.

That is exactly what I'd hope for....although I wouldn't give a song 14 games to prove itself I don't think.  :xnod: 

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

The Smurf’s pregame thing is horrible.

Big screen telling you when to put your scarf up and the words to the song 

Reminds me of a David Beckham joke (this ones got a few manifestations, this was the shortest):

David Beckham goes into a hairdressers, and asks for a haircut. "No problem", says the barber, "but you'll have to take your headphones off". "No can do", says David. "But I can't cut your hair if you keep them on", says the barber. " Sorry, mate", says David, "but I can't take them off, it's a matter of life and death, you'll have to cut round them".

The barber goes to work, with some difficulty, and as he turns to pick up a comb, he knocks the headphones to the floor! There they lay, and from them a faint voice could be heard saying, "breathe in... breathe out... breathe in... breathe out...".

6 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Bet it's not as bad this one......whatever it is now??

They used this in ....maybe Season 2??

I'm serious!!  

Beyond cringeworthy.

People in the stands ignored it.

Blame a Wanderers supporter on staff at my school....and a forum lurker!

Hello Mr E!! :)

He got me thinking more about some classic Aussie songs to walk out to!

This is what Melb City came up with,  to survey supporters views, a few seasons ago.

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/votes-are-our-city-voice-derby-music-survey

On 10/22/2017 at 10:06 AM, StringerBellend said:

A few points Stringer

First, one of the problems highlighted in this discussion has been that different parts of the stadium are not all singing together.  Wouldn't the words on the screen overcome this problem?

Secondly, the screen might tell them to hold the scarves up, and if all join in, how can this be criticised?  Brilliant atmosphere sitting in Bay 38 on Saturday night, but still not many scarves other than the RBB.

Thirdly, while you might criticise the words to their walkout song being displayed on the screen, at least they have words to display.

Fourthly, I seem to recall that when we tried "Glorious" as our walkout song at Pirtek, the ground announcer didn't shut up the whole time.  Did you notice no ground announcement on Saturday night during their walkout song?   Obviously there needs to be much co-ordination if it is to happen for us, and given the abysmal atmosphere at Spotless, I think a new walkout song could be planned to welcome us back to Piitek - with time to do the planning.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic