Campbelltown Cup Calamity

8 minutes ago, Erebus said:

Izzo did nothing all game, despite us having 70% possession.

That is the problem. We had so many opportunities in the box to shoot, but the players opted to pass instead. Test the damn keeper ffs

It's a substantially new line-up of players, yet the same old crap is happening. We need some different coaching ideas.

Baccus was our best (on ground - what a stupid term btw, how can you be best off ground). But it was back to last season's frustrations. Missing chances and doing the crab-formation. Side to side. Adelaide never really looked troubled in that last 20 mins. Very worrying.

Me and my mate at the ground were saying Baccus is too good for our team at the moment.

Definitely should've kept Jumpei on for Cejudo. Poor bloke couldn't even trap a ball anymore the last 30 minutes.

My first reaction was red for the Melling challenge. From the grandstand it looked late, with force, studs showing, above the ball. It didn't appear he got a card at all? I was stunned.

The missed header from Riera.....seems as though the cross took him by surprise. The majority of all other crosses that came in where not on target, over cooked or under done. Finally gets a decent cross aaand misses. This is what could potentially affect strikers confidence, I hope it doesn't and is back on the score sheet against Newcastle. 

Fox did good, considering the circumstances and if he has aspirations to be head coach, the hard truth is, he can go somewhere else and get the experience. Was hoping he would do better as a name change from soulless to "The Den", if the unbeaten run continued at home, would've been great.  When the new coach comes in I'm sure and hope he will stay as he seems to have been able to develop a great relationship with the players.  

thought the RBB was the stand out tonight

oh and Adelaide kicked the crap out of Roly I thought, no doubt other teams were watching.

not sure what was worse, the result or the eternity it took to get out of the car park. Just as well we only had 5,000 or id still be there.

a good result against the jets is what's needed the question is can we contain Donovan up front.

Edited by leslie
1 hour ago, wswtragic said:

It's a substantially new line-up of players, yet the same old crap is happening. We need some different coaching ideas.

I blame the kit.

Team looked slow and not bothered at times. Hope we can get it together for Sunday and players aren't too fatigued.

****, we're conceding heaps of goals. I feel Vedran has dropped off since management left too.

Edited by xxBrandonxx

No excuses we had the same amount of time to recover as Adelaide they had to fly to Sydney, had 3 injuries to key players and dominated the play while making plenty of opportunities. And we actually didn't play bad we made enough opportunities Cejudo when he beat offside trap to be on goal forgot how to shoot, Reira missing those two header and Risdon had one good opportunity in the first half.

We were wasteful Adelaide picked their moment and are deserved winners on the night.

I am not liking this dropping off in the last 20 mins of games it does feel like we aren't fit.

1 hour ago, Erebus said:

Popa mentality still embedded imo.

Might be an unpopular opinion, wouldn't be totally disappointed if the new manager got rid of Crook plus Foxe and totally brought their own team in from scratch. I know they are decent coaches behind the scenes, but a fresh start and all that.

Thought for the 20 min after their first goal was the best football we have played this year - they were ultra defensive and we just couldn't  turn it into clear chances.

After that as others have noted we were ponderous. Cejudo really disappointing- repeatedly took wrong option and lost the ball.

Agree with those praising baccus - he has been consistently  our best player since he came into the starting 11 full time. His work containing ninkovic in derby was stellar as well. Really do think we should enjoy him while we can because he must be attracting o/s interest.

As much as i like foxe - we do need the new man and new direction to arrive soon because it feels like we are treading water at the minute. I get the feeling though that the Socceroos fate will determine ours.

36 minutes ago, WSWBoro said:

Might be an unpopular opinion, wouldn't be totally disappointed if the new manager got rid of Crook plus Foxe and totally brought their own team in from scratch. I know they are decent coaches behind the scenes, but a fresh start and all that.

Apparently Crook is doing good things running the youth academy so I'd be happy with him moving back to that when the new manager comes in. He doesn't need to be involved in the first team, I'm not sure how much involvement he actually had during the Popa/Carrasco/Kalac days.

Wouldn't be surprised if the new manager brings in his own assistants and Foxe misses out.

14 hours ago, wanderersfanatic said:

Look at Adelaide, I remember hearing an interview with their new coach where he was surprised in a bad way with Adelaide's standard of fitness.. He rectified that  as soon as he arrived and look at Adelaide now.. They're always a threat toward the end of the game. 

You seem to be laying the blame on Foxe for our team's apparent lack of fitness.  While the Adelaide coach was rectifying the problem with Adelaide, wasn't popa still in charge of Wanderers?

Still hoping for Josep.  Club really looking at Ante and I reckon Paul Okon wouldn't be bad either (I like his style). Apparently Robbie Fowler has applied (I said no, no, no)

Edited by beatsurrender
1 hour ago, lloydy136 said:

Thought for the 20 min after their first goal was the best football we have played this year - they were ultra defensive and we just couldn't  turn it into clear chances.

After that as others have noted we were ponderous. Cejudo really disappointing- repeatedly took wrong option and lost the ball.

Agree with those praising baccus - he has been consistently  our best player since he came into the starting 11 full time. His work containing ninkovic in derby was stellar as well. Really do think we should enjoy him while we can because he must be attracting o/s interest.

As much as i like foxe - we do need the new man and new direction to arrive soon because it feels like we are treading water at the minute. I get the feeling though that the Socceroos fate will determine ours.

Agree.

Seems to me that rather than being the same as last year, we are playing better and creating more attacking flair.  Last night and CCM games, the opposition crowded the midfield and last night the back line as well.  We don't seem to be able to find alternative routes to goal or to set up for the long shot - there is no plan B when our tactics are countered.  Adelaide were clever last night.  They played to their strengths and covered their weaknesses.  5 at the back and a crowded central midfield.  We ran into walls of players time and again and were stripped of the ball.  We did most of the running all night because they concentrated their game on solid defence that waited, turned the ball over and then countered quickly whilst we were upfield. We were outnumbered in the middle of the park in the front third and kept with plan A all night - even when it continually failed to work.

When we play teams that have an open style we are much better.  When we are able to transition faster we also look more deadly.  Last night their back line stood firm and we had no answers.  We were out-coached.  Adelaide's tactics worked and we made a couple of errors in defence that didn't help.

2 hours ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

Agree.

Seems to me that rather than being the same as last year, we are playing better and creating more attacking flair.  Last night and CCM games, the opposition crowded the midfield and last night the back line as well.  We don't seem to be able to find alternative routes to goal or to set up for the long shot - there is no plan B when our tactics are countered.  Adelaide were clever last night.  They played to their strengths and covered their weaknesses.  5 at the back and a crowded central midfield.  We ran into walls of players time and again and were stripped of the ball.  We did most of the running all night because they concentrated their game on solid defence that waited, turned the ball over and then countered quickly whilst we were upfield. We were outnumbered in the middle of the park in the front third and kept with plan A all night - even when it continually failed to work.

When we play teams that have an open style we are much better.  When we are able to transition faster we also look more deadly.  Last night their back line stood firm and we had no answers.  We were out-coached.  Adelaide's tactics worked and we made a couple of errors in defence that didn't help.

If we had players that could break lines run and shoot how many titles would we have won instead we play crab ball with teams expecting crosses we gonna be the champions 

Cejudo is in danger of becoming the next Castelen. And of course Popa’s fingerprints are all over the team, they spent the whole pre-season doing that. It’ll take a new manager to change things.

Edited by GD07

bit harsh on the team fellas , we had Aspro and Melling with very little game time and where pretty rusty Bridgy needs more game time , Riera has a goal a game up to last night , Cejudo has been a breath of fresh air   ,man of the match Saturday night , they belted roly pretty hard with a referee not keen on yellows , Risdon is a winner , clisby was good but not in the same class as Lloriente so all in all I reckon we should look forward to our next game against Adelaide , they scored from an absolute howler form Aspro and we let them run at us to score a good goal.

See you in Newcastle with a full team on the park ,

The RBB was impressive again last night and always enjoy the capo rotation for the experience they get. What was different was the amount of polite encouraging applause for the players. Felt like we were watching a three piece baroque concerto in an art gallery. Oh yeah then the bottles started getting thrown and it was back in the alleyway. 

12 minutes ago, Spotty said:

bit harsh on the team fellas , we had Aspro and Melling with very little game time and where pretty rusty Bridgy needs more game time , Riera has a goal a game up to last night , Cejudo has been a breath of fresh air   ,man of the match Saturday night , they belted roly pretty hard with a referee not keen on yellows , Risdon is a winner , clisby was good but not in the same class as Lloriente so all in all I reckon we should look forward to our next game against Adelaide , they scored from an absolute howler form Aspro and we let them run at us to score a good goal.

See you in Newcastle with a full team on the park ,

Agree with most of this but I would add that Jumpei needs to pass the ball or f off. He blew 2 scoring opportunites by trying to take on people instead of trying to set up Riera when we broke on the counter. We are a better team than last year,we have  two strikers who can score,Jumpei should of been turfed to bring on Santalab, not to replace Riera.

Edited by sonar

Foxe should've gone to a 4-4-1-1 with Riera coming deep to hold the ball or flick it on, with Santalab as a poacher. Baccus & Roly in a two man midfield. I probably would've hooked Aspro after 30 minutes when he looked like he was going to get himself sent off or cop another goal. Bridge for Ceujdo or Jumpei (they were equally ineffective) on the wing.

Adelaide were always going to park the bus once they got the opener, and double so when they were 2-0 up. Foxe didn't react appropriately at all, and we went back to last years side/back/lose it passing around the box with no penetration.

2 down at home in a cup semi-final against a team playing at times like a 5-5-0, staying with just one up front is tactically awful.

On the wider front, our team look dreadful in terms of physical stamina. This is the fourth game in a row the midfield & wingers have looked absolutely shattered by the 70th minute.

Fox will always be better suited for picking up cones the coaching.  As first grade manger understand game 0/10.

1.Aspro does mistake fine shocking. kid has not played for a while not game sharp yet
2. Adelaide score screamer go 2-0 up.
3. Fox Starts game with 2 holding midfielders in Melling and Bacchus.
4. Forget the score !
Adelaide United FC playing with two defensive zones with Isaias shaking hands with his central defenders so why do you need two defensive midfielders and I keep saying no speed merchant to stretch Adelaide.
5. His first sub is Reira are you serious 2-0 despite missing header you going to need him when desparate and getting crosses late in the game.
Bring on Santa fine but don't take of Reira take one of holding midfielders which had to be melling doing nothing and put santlab next to Reira.  Give Adelaide centrebacks something to think about.
6.Flee Baccus Bonevacia and Risdon only one going forward !

Baccus’s was the only one with quick transition passes into attacking areas ! At least 8 defense splitting pass !
The game needed a reconfiguration of the midfield !

7. His double subs takes of Jap who still was only one with legs and takes of melling. Brings in Herd who is a number six can't create and bridge who is finished me and you run faster.
8. On bench were is Sotrio with his speed can come on stretch Adelaide or even Raul to come play more attacking to get ball over to Reira and Santa.  Nothing fox clueless.
9. Biggest mistake I can't accept Cejodo is incredible player like old days I was lucky to train Olympic watching Troy halpin. Cejudo vison is like halpin if played in right position
Fox clueless in NRL terms

The way he is using Cejudo is like playing Andrew Johns either on the wing or Centre.

#overcluesscoaches

Just watched the replay of the game. .. we were very slow,  Cejudo just like thrashed after 60th minute, Riera looked off pace, Aspro needs match fitness as he wasn't looking sharp and i think both risdon and Cornflakes could do with a bit of a rest as well.

Roly is looking more like Nichols 2.0, he's not a CAM and Cejudo should be playing there. 

I saw no issues with Mellings challenge, dont think it warrants a red card let alone a foul, Roly and Aspro were just unlucky to get yellow cards.

When playing in a knockout game the most important thing is that your defence is solid, if you don't conceed you don't lose games.

If Reira was not fit the whole game then don't start him. And when loosing don't replace a sticker with a striker.

If Cejudo is legless take him off.

if you cannot break the opposition down you need to change things.....

Albert Einstein is broadly credited with exclaiming “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”.

Edited by tardotz
5 hours ago, Harv said:

You seem to be laying the blame on Foxe for our team's apparent lack of fitness.  While the Adelaide coach was rectifying the problem with Adelaide, wasn't popa still in charge of Wanderers?

Yes he was.. But after watching the team right from season 1, I've never seen a majority of our players cooked with 20min to go. 

It's been over 4 months since pre-season and there's no excuses. 

Edited by wanderersfanatic
14 minutes ago, wanderersfanatic said:

Yes he was.. But after watching the team right from season 1, I've never seen a majority of our players cooked with 20min to go. 

It's been over 4 months since pre-season and there's no excuses. 

It was the same last season. Did something change before then?  The trainer?