mack

Off Topic Thread 4

6 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Yeah, found a link to that, kept going for a few hours and their track was right over our gaff...which my son liked as was an impressive show...

I encountered something like that above a multi-storey car park at Castle Towers once.

The helicopter hovered just above the  gap between the shops and this car park - and the noise somehow funnelled down....and was DEAFENING!!

Impressive - yes I guess...but also very intimidating actually.

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

That's unintentional, just a handy thing to have.

When they first turned up in East Timor there were armed gangs still getting around the city so General Peter Cosgrove tells ALL his helicopters to get up there and go low and hard across the city. 14 helicopters from memory (I wasn't there).

Scared the **** outta these gangs and made it clear who was in charge now.

Lucky they didn't have RPG's or it would have gone like Mogadishu did for the yanks.

5 minutes ago, mack said:

Lucky they didn't have RPG's or it would have gone like Mogadishu did for the yanks.

Bloody hard to accurately fire any unguided shoulder mounted recoil-less weapon unless trained, and even more so when the targets are moving at a rate of knots. From memory the first UH-60 that was taken down was flying in a tight concentric arc around a Ranger insertion point, giving the local militia an easier target. Not sure about the 2nd shoot down. I would suspect that the Oz Army guys in their Blackhawks in ET would've flown a far more combat aware flight path, jinking and keeping an eye out for shooters.

Had a chance to fire off a 66mm LAAW sub-round back in the day, & all the fart arsing around to ensure no one was in my backblast zone and keeping the (stationary) target in site was bloody hard. That was of course with no one making my life hard by flying low and fast over me whilst aiming all many of bang sticks at my pozzie.

PS...here's what a 66mm anti-tank projectile looks like in flight (as fired by some fellow weekend warriors)...

11838708_10206755722154654_2990901643129

honestly really depressing what is happening in new zealand, the guy who did it is a complete nutcase i can imagine him being part of those nutcase white supremacists groups like reclaim australia and united patriots front

Gutless more like. Innocent civilians.

PC gone mad made it happen. Yeah, all that talk of living and let living was practically giving him the gun.

1 hour ago, portaluppista23 said:

the bloke had balls to do it and take it in his own hands,

That’s not balls, it’s ****ed, it’s a cowardly act by a messed up individual. We have come so far as a society & then **** like this happens :( 

A clip posted on the music thread today is Peace Train by Cat Stevens. I enjoyed listening and watching but it was all tinged by the sadness of thinking all through it that the coming together for peace that is sung about in the song is instead coming apart these days, aided by the ....... nah, I'll leave out the next bit.

1 minute ago, Edinburgh said:

A clip posted on the music thread today is Peace Train by Cat Stevens. I enjoyed listening and watching but it was all tinged by the sadness of thinking all through it that the coming together for peace that is sung about in the song is instead coming apart these days, aided by the ....... nah, I'll leave out the next bit.

Sorry Ed, I never meant to make you sad when I posted the song.

The events today in NZ just made we think of it and perhaps in my minds eye a simpler or gentler time. 

I don't know about a simpler or gentler time. I think that's a mistake.

Peace train was 1971. Cold War. Vietnam still going. Pentagon Papers. India and Pakistan at War. Idi Amin comes to power. IRA bombings. Charles Manson. The next year was the terrorist attack in Munic, watergate, miners strike, more IRA....  A couple of years before was 1968, and all that that entailed. Kent State, what, 1970?

The song is a call for peace in the face of all that stuff going on. But just because some hippies were putting flowers in their hair and calling for peace, I don't know that it makes it a simpler or gentler time.

People are calling for peace now too. But there's always those that don't want it, or whose version of peace does not have room for all.

9 minutes ago, marron said:

I don't know about a simpler or gentler time. I think that's a mistake.

Peace train was 1971. Cold War. Vietnam still going. Pentagon Papers. India and Pakistan at War. Idi Amin comes to power. IRA bombings. Charles Manson. The next year was the terrorist attack in Munic, watergate, miners strike, more IRA....  A couple of years before was 1968, and all that that entailed. Kent State, what, 1970?

The song is a call for peace in the face of all that stuff going on. But just because some hippies were putting flowers in their hair and calling for peace, I don't know that it makes it a simpler or gentler time.

People are calling for peace now too. But there's always those that don't want it, or whose version of peace does not have room for all.

I don't disagree with you  and all that you have said but you have to remember that the time I was talking about and remembering was that I was young, and saw the world through a childs mind not as an adult would.

The music ( of that era ) and especially Cat Stevens,just reminded me of a time when I felt safe or perhaps when I enjoyed the naivity of childhood. 

Posted (edited)

Well if there are differences. ....  (I blame the internet)

Edited by marron

1 minute ago, portaluppista23 said:

true we all have different views but i blame the government they messed up its all about Political correctness. **** like this will happen 

i know its ****ed up. look I am am right wing i wont deny it but to do that he would of been on some serious ****.

( btw just because i'm right wing don"t compare me with the shooter because i don't want to be affiliated with people like that) 

There's a big difference between political correctness and hate speech.

The blame lies soley with the person doing the violence and the ideaology they exspouse not a government. 

Posted (edited)

How the **** is any notion of Political Correctness to blame here?

This was an act of terrorism by an extremist right wing racist twat.

The rhetoric by twats like Fraser anning.. Hanson.. Jones etc and all those reclaim Australia and ban mosque Facebook groups full of twats, has helped created the climate for this to happen, where it has been normalised..To be scared of, hate and resent difference. If the government has blame it’s not standing up to those twats earlier and having Hanson on the today show like she is a celebrity racist..

PC is just basically a clumsy way of saying don’t be a nobhead to each other “it’s not being a nobhead to each other gone mad”. It has many faults but committing acts of terrorism isn’t one of them 

as Arden has said it happened in NZ because it is a tolerant multicultural society and there are those that seek to destroy it, we can’t let them 

Edited by StringerBellend

It happened in NZ because their gun laws are a lot more relaxed. We learnt our lesson in 1996.

I'm a member of the SSAA but no way do I want semi automatic weapons allowed here, couldn't give a **** how responsible the owner is at the time of purchase.

holy ****

also i am obviously very anti PC but it has nothing to do with political correctness tbh its just one nutcase who had his brain washed by far right nutcase groups

Is it just me - or is the Aust Current Affairs Thread out of action - I can't post there! 

Looks like this guy might have to go get himself a proper job.

The on again, then off again ban on his visit is back on. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-16/milo-yiannopoulos-banned-from-entering-australia/10908854

6 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

holy ****

:shok::shok: Think I'd rather walk tbh!

So..   does anyone have a gif of Red Symons giving "Bikeboy" a 10 on Red Faces, while flipping a devil horns sign?

Because that clearly is the only appropriate response to Egg Boy.

I feel like it's time to change my profile picture. To follow in the footsteps of follow forumites I feel like it's right to pick a manager. The two I have in mind are Allegri, I feel Allegri has better meme themed photograph whereas Sarri isn't as photogenic but gets the better photos. First, who do I choose?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Doesn't matter which pic - as long as he's not sitting on his arse chewing gum! :D

18 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Doesn't matter which pic - as long as he's not sitting on his arse chewing gum! :D

It’s actually a squires panel on  Tony Popovic & he is drinking (what seems like a beer), not chewing gum ;) 

14 minutes ago, mack said:

3rd pic or the smoke + hat one.

I like it, serious focused mood but my only concern is that it doesn’t reflect my Wanderers feeling right now :lol: I do like it though :good:

Neither/None. Ask Smoggy for a sketch instead.

2 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

Neither/None. Ask Smoggy for a sketch instead.

Chances are I’ll get tony pullis :lol:

17 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

image.jpeg

david-squires-on-chelsea-s-humiliation-a

My favourite viewing at the moment 

This is just one of many from this dude. Youtube channel called Rationality Rules. 

@wendybr his rebuttal to Jordan Peterson (specifically on atheism) is pretty thorough.

23 hours ago, EmMac said:

My favourite viewing at the moment 

This is just one of many from this dude. Youtube channel called Rationality Rules. 

@wendybr his rebuttal to Jordan Peterson (specifically on atheism) is pretty thorough.

He was good!

Hopefully Legia wanders by to comment.