Off Topic Thread 4

mack

6 hours ago, Erimus said:

Anyone else had a flu jab and feel a bit shyte afterwards..i do...

A few things to clarify:

- Your flu jab makes you immune to the 4-6 types of the worst flu strains from the previous season. It’s still possible to catch a flu which you’re not immunized against (but you’ll have to be very unlucky)

- These strains contained in the immunizations are usually the deadly ones or those that ended up with serious complications requiring hospitalizations.

- As Mack said, they give you the dead virus not the live virus. You can’t catch last year’s flu as a result of the shot

- The flu is different from a cold. If you got the flu from the flu shot you’re very unlucky but it’s more likely you’ve got a cold which is a result of (a) your immune system being compromised (b) you’re still vulnerable to get a cold if you have the flu shot or not

- You’d be surprised the difference it makes to ED’s when there is a large uptake of flu immunizations.

- Be sure to be educated on what is what is true & not when it comes to flu’s, cold’s & flu shots.

9 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

A few things to clarify:

- Your flu jab makes you immune to the 4-6 types of the worst flu strains from the previous season. It’s still possible to catch a flu which you’re not immunized against (but you’ll have to be very unlucky)

- These strains contained in the immunizations are usually the deadly ones or those that ended up with serious complications requiring hospitalizations.

- As Mack said, they give you the dead virus not the live virus. You can’t catch last year’s flu as a result of the shot

- The flu is different from a cold. If you got the flu from the flu shot you’re very unlucky but it’s more likely you’ve got a cold which is a result of (a) your immune system being compromised (b) you’re still vulnerable to get a cold if you have the flu shot or not

- You’d be surprised the difference it makes to ED’s when there is a large uptake of flu immunizations.

- Be sure to be educated on what is what is true & not when it comes to flu’s, cold’s & flu shots.

Thanks Dr Nick!....i mean Pyrdz

Edited by Erimus
On 29/05/2019 at 9:17 PM, Neverbloom said:

i love this game.......only in japan

I noticed there is a game called 'Phar Lap' out on the PS4 now that this reminded me of.  Haven't played it, so don't know if it is any good though.

On 31/05/2019 at 1:40 PM, LeeMarvin said:

I noticed there is a game called 'Phar Lap' out on the PS4 now that this reminded me of.  Haven't played it, so don't know if it is any good though.

honestly not my kinda game so it might be a great horse racing game but i would never know :P

Hey all, quick question I’m struggling with - I recently accepted a conditional offer for a new job (yay) but it’s conditional on reference checks

I am thinking of asking a director in my company but am concerned he may leak that I’m going to others before the offer becomes unconditional

Some have said he may also shoot down the job offer by saying I’m crap, but I don’t think he will - although I’m sure he’ll be quite devastated I’m leaving

Thoughts?

Just skyped the old man...and yeah...........so turns out in the week he was diagnosed with cancer, and has been struggling all week and worrying about telling me. He had a short breakdown, a few tears. Never in my life seen him like that before, big strong bloke who would NEVER let emotion show, until now. And suddenly you realise how vulnerable even he is, how vulnerable we all are :( 

Very early days anyway, hopefully some good news after a big hospital appointment on Tuesday. 

Bugger.

22 hours ago, Unlimited said:

Hey all, quick question I’m struggling with - I recently accepted a conditional offer for a new job (yay) but it’s conditional on reference checks

I am thinking of asking a director in my company but am concerned he may leak that I’m going to others before the offer becomes unconditional

Some have said he may also shoot down the job offer by saying I’m crap, but I don’t think he will - although I’m sure he’ll be quite devastated I’m leaving

Thoughts?

People don't give rubbish job references, even if you are rubbish, bad practice. They would give the minimum ref that says 'such and such works here and has worked here from whatever date' and that would be it. Managers shouldn't rubbish people in references.

7 minutes ago, Erimus said:

Just skyped the old man...and yeah...........so turns out in the week he was diagnosed with cancer, and has been struggling all week and worrying about telling me. He had a short breakdown, a few tears. Never in my life seen him like that before, big strong bloke who would NEVER let emotion show, until now. And suddenly you realise how vulnerable even he is, how vulnerable we all are :( 

Very early days anyway, hopefully some good news after a big hospital appointment on Tuesday. 

Bugger.

Not trying to give false hope here mate but my dad has had colon cancer since 2004. He is on a course of drugs that sort of put it to sleep and he has two injections per year. He suffers a bit from depression which is one side effect but he's still going strong. The treatments available today are way better than back in the day when it was basically curtains. Stay strong mate....you're dad will need you.

36 minutes ago, Erimus said:

Bugger.

:grouphug:

1 hour ago, Erimus said:

Bugger.

1 hour ago, Erimus said:

Bugger.

:(  I can't say anything better than Sonar said it my friend

Take care, and I hope the news after the appointment is that there is a positive way forward 

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

3 hours ago, Erimus said:

Bugger.

Truely sorry to hear that. It is particularly hard when you are on the other side of the world. 

21 hours ago, Erimus said:

Bugger.

I only know your old man through the stories you've posted here. He seems like he has a fairly crazy sense of humour (although I'm not too sure if it's entirely on purpose). You need to gather up some of the equally crazy stories from here and share them with him. It seems only fair, since he's given us more than a few good laughs that we should return the favour. Laughter is, after all, the best form of medicine (well that, and actual medical science that is).

In all seriousness, I hope he's comes through it ok. Support your family, and don't be shy in leaning on the people around you when you need support yourself.

On 05/06/2019 at 6:29 PM, Prydzopolis said:

Any update Smoggy? Thinking of you mate & hoping for the best

Treatment has started already. Doc says is serious BUT believes reason to remain positive. Operation coming. Just a case of doing each stage and going from there, start of a long road i think with many ups and downs.

Mt mum is worse than the old man, she is all over the place.

Edited by Erimus
  • mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic