mack

Off Topic Thread 4

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

11 hours ago, Erimus said:

Thinking about holiday ideas for the end of the year / Jan. Has anyone here driven the great ocean road?

We are thinking of flying to Melbourne, picking up a hire car and driving the great ocean road and ending up in Adelaide, good idea, any tips on where to stay? Give enough time so we don't have to rush, stay in Melbourne and Adelaide for a few days at the start and end....

Done it a couple of times not all way to Adelaide though furthest we went was about Port Fairy then turned back, headed in land a little on the way back to make a loop.

First time we had a few weeks so made a road trip, drove sydney to Thredbo, then over the mountains in to Victoria, then Melbourne for a couple of nights the. Great ocean road.

The other time we did Mornington Pennisula prior, then got the ferry from Portsea to Geelong and picked up great ocean road there. Can recommend that Mornington pennisula is a ace, and the car ferry cuts out Melbourne and basically drops you at start of great ocean road.

places to stay, there are a few decent camp/caravan which have cabins that are relatively cheap and good if you have kids. We took a tent and alternated between camping and cabins.

From memory Bimbi Park was good at cape Otway 

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

Done it a couple of times not all way to Adelaide though furthest we went was about Port Fairy then turned back, headed in land a little on the way back to make a loop.

First time we had a few weeks so made a road trip, drove sydney to Thredbo, then over the mountains in to Victoria, then Melbourne for a couple of nights the. Great ocean road.

The other time we did Mornington Pennisula prior, then got the ferry from Portsea to Geelong and picked up great ocean road there. Can recommend that Mornington pennisula is a ace, and the car ferry cuts out Melbourne and basically drops you at start of great ocean road.

places to stay, there are a few decent camp/caravan which have cabins that are relatively cheap and good if you have kids. We took a tent and alternated between camping and cabins.

From memory Bimbi Park was good at cape Otway 

Thanks..wont have time to drive down to Melbourne so will fly down. I did think about doing a loop rather than carrying on to Adelaide.

We will prob have 10 days..with 2 or three days in Melbourne and Adelaide factored in 

We drove the coast 2 days Sydney to Melbourne stopped at Lakes Entrance for the night , crossed the bay on the ferry to Queenscliff (near Geelong) Queenscliff is worth looking at. If you do not want to do that fly to Avalon, an hour from Avalon and you are at Torquay the start of the great ocean road a night at Lorne is great. at the end of the great ocean road stay at either Port Fairy or another hour to Portland and look out for the fishing boats coming in around 6 to unload for the Melbourne markets the next Morning.  

We drove on up the coast to through some great country to Mount Gambier and then continued up through places on the coast such as Robe, Millicent and Kingston etc: Just before Tailem Bend we turned left and wound our way through some great country to Victor Harbour and onward through Mclaren Vale (wineries) into Adelaide  or stay on the main road and head through Murray Bridge and over the hills into Adelaide, don't miss Handorf going this way.

If you were driving Sydney to Melbourne on the coast I could help, stayed at a really nice place in Merimbula (Robyn's Nest), where I was literally the only guest. I also stayed at Lakes Entrance, although the hotel wasn't as good, decent town though.

Posted (edited)

Hmmmm torn between doing a loop down the ocean road and heading back to Melb via Ballarat, or keeping on going to Adelaide.

Have done the Adelaide hills / Handorf before, did that at the GF trip.

Dont think i can be arsed driving from Syd to Melb, especially return journey. At return to Melb or arriving in Adelaide i like the idea of ditching a car at an airport and being home in a few hours, especially as i will be doing ALL the driving. The wife has a license but hasn't driven a car since she passed her test in the 90's.

Edited by Erimus

Posted (edited)

The loop we did in Ken trip was instead of going back down great ocean road we went inland a bit through Camperdown (I think) 

the other loop we have done (a big one is) do sydney to Melbourne via mountains on one way and via the coast on the other loads of beautiful things on the coast road.  Both are long though, Hume highway is far quicker but duller, although beachworth is nice 

drive to Melbourne obviously saves some $ on flights and car hire but if you only have 10 days I’d fly in and out of Melbourne and go as far as port fairy then loop back, or go in to Melbourne and back from Adelaide 

Edited by StringerBellend

32 minutes ago, Erimus said:

Hmmmm torn between doing a loop down the ocean road and heading back to Melb via Ballarat, or keeping on going to Adelaide.

Have done the Adelaide hills / Handorf before, did that at the GF trip.

Dont think i can be arsed driving from Syd to Melb, especially return journey. At return to Melb or arriving in Adelaide i like the idea of ditching a car at an airport and being home in a few hours, especially as i will be doing ALL the driving. The wife has a license but hasn't driven a car since she passed her test in the 90's.

heading back to Melb via Ballarat,

Ballarat,

So, when were you planning on this trip then Boro.... early september, maybe?

3 hours ago, marron said:

So, when were you planning on this trip then Boro.... early september, maybe?

Nope, will have to be school summer holls, plus warm enough for stopping off and jumping in for a swim would be good..

yesterday i got myself a cheap wireless bluetooth speaker just so i dont have to use headphones all the time, what i have noticed is the audio is usually a few seconds behind the visuals, is that normal? honestly its not a huge issue at all i was just curious

1 minute ago, Neverbloom said:

yesterday i got myself a cheap wireless bluetooth speaker just so i dont have to use headphones all the time, what i have noticed is the audio is usually a few seconds behind the visuals, is that normal? honestly its not a huge issue at all i was just curious

Haven’t noticed it myself too much 

2 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

Haven’t noticed it myself too much 

thanks maybe its just my cheap speaker or my crappy computer :P honestly doesnt bother me too much but i just wasnt sure why it was a few seconds behind

25 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

thanks maybe its just my cheap speaker or my crappy computer :P honestly doesnt bother me too much but i just wasnt sure why it was a few seconds behind

Happens to me sometimes when watching/streaming a movie or such to my tv or sometimes my laptop......usually ( and this may not be a fix for you ) I pause the stream and then play and it syncs itself right.........have to add this is not via b'tooth but usb.

Edited by sonar

2 hours ago, sonar said:

Happens to me sometimes when watching/streaming a movie or such to my tv or sometimes my laptop......usually ( and this may not be a fix for you ) I pause the stream and then play and it syncs itself right.........have to add this is not via b'tooth but usb.

thank you i might try via usb or just try to pause it and restart, lucky not a huge issue but still would prefer its in sync

My daughter (and I by the sounds of it) are doing the 40hr famine backpack challenge next month to raise some money for the millions of refugees and displaced people around the world. If you have a few $ to spare and would like to donate, you can click the  "Donate to natalie" button on this page: https://www.40hourfamine.com.au/supporters/3208896

33 minutes ago, SomeGuy1977 said:

My daughter (and I by the sounds of it) are doing the 40hr famine backpack challenge next month to raise some money for the millions of refugees and displaced people around the world. If you have a few $ to spare and would like to donate, you can click the  "Donate to natalie" button on this page: https://www.40hourfamine.com.au/supporters/3208896

Done

Got my eyebrows trimmed today, and at the end the bloke gave me a haircut!