Off Topic Thread 4

mack

9 minutes ago, marron said:

You owe it to them! They'll love it too.

Yes - I like seeing them throw off the straightjacket that their education system back home seems to have been, and encouraging them to be a little playful.

I usually have one student per class I call our "Chinese larrikin" (after delivering them an explanation of what a "larrikin" is, of course).

16 hours ago, marron said:

What do you mean, how long?

I'm copping it at least a couple of times a day.

How dare you call me a bloody baby boomer, I say, that is wrong on so many levels.

"Ok Boomer" is all I get back. :lol:

"Don't you have a TikTok to watch" is about all i've got.

Actually, 15 seconds is about how long Ok Boomer will last so there's that at least.

Please name every level :D

I don’t know what is an ok level of inappropriateness to say to school kids these days, so if prob just make their exams harder or something like that. Or set tasks like “write a 2000 word essay on why <insert teen fad platform or phrase here> will never last”. Or pop maths quizzes without calculators that no computer could solve. Or set really shitty research topics.

(yeah, prob a good thing I’m not a teacher I think)

17 hours ago, marron said:

What do you mean, how long?

I'm copping it at least a couple of times a day.

How dare you call me a bloody baby boomer, I say, that is wrong on so many levels.

"Ok Boomer" is all I get back. :lol:

"Don't you have a TikTok to watch" is about all i've got.

Actually, 15 seconds is about how long Ok Boomer will last so there's that at least.

Problem is , it’s the Boomers that have the $ 

Gen X here!   :drinks:

12 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

lucky i dont have to worry about it because its far ish away(well 30 minutes) but i got a text from the emergency services telling me i need to evacuate, scared the hell out of me when i first read it

EDIT: well i do have to worry but not straight away

I’ve seen same fake sms messages being sent to people In my area from earlier this week telling them they had to evacuate. Don’t know if they’re just being knobs or want to take advantage and knock the place off. Be careful. 

2 minutes ago, SomeGuy1977 said:

I’ve seen same fake sms messages being sent to people In my area from earlier this week telling them they had to evacuate. Don’t know if they’re just being knobs or want to take advantage and knock the place off. Be careful. 

thank you that is kinda sad that people are doing that, i checked the rfs twitter and website and they say the same thing so this one isnt fake i just need to keep track of it because it is only half an hour away

2 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

thank you that is kinda sad that people are doing that, i checked the rfs twitter and website and they say the same thing so this one isnt fake i just need to keep track of it because it is only half an hour away

If the evacuation warning is genuine, and even if it's more than half an hour away, don't just keep track of it GET THE HELL OUTTA THERE NOW!

17 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

If the evacuation warning is genuine, and even if it's more than half an hour away, don't just keep track of it GET THE HELL OUTTA THERE NOW!

might be a good idea i got a call from a family member and apparently the smoke is very obvious so this isnt ideal just need to make a few plans

3 hours ago, SomeGuy1977 said:

Please name every level :D

I don’t know what is an ok level of inappropriateness to say to school kids these days, so if prob just make their exams harder or something like that. Or set tasks like “write a 2000 word essay on why <insert teen fad platform or phrase here> will never last”. Or pop maths quizzes without calculators that no computer could solve. Or set really shitty research topics.

(yeah, prob a good thing I’m not a teacher I think)

1. I am not a boomer

2. I'm giving good advice

3. I am not a boomer

thank you i did get an sms from the fire service pretty much saying evacuate now if i live in colo heights and i am looking at the fire

https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/major-fire-updates/mfu?id=4895

which pretty much says i expect smoke in my area but its not something i should watch out for yet so i am not too sure,

If you are in the areas of Glen Davis, Putty Valley, Upper Colo, Webbs Creek, monitor conditions.

it doesnt even say i should be monitoring conditions all its saying is i should expect smoke so i am confused somewhat maybe i overreacted but i have not gotten a text from emergency services yet and i know its still going fast so its something i am paying close attention to, only about 30 km away so its still too close for comfort but the text i got was really for people of colo heights and not for me somewhat

and don't worry about letting us know either goat that's a stupid thing for me to say. just get the **** out of there if needed and look after yourself. I mean, we'll always wonder, if you don't come back and tell us you are alright, but, you know, you staying safe is probably more important than updating us.

9 minutes ago, marron said:

and don't worry about letting us know either goat that's a stupid thing for me to say. just get the **** out of there if needed and look after yourself. I mean, we'll always wonder, if you don't come back and tell us you are alright, but, you know, you staying safe is probably more important than updating us.

thank you lucky my phone is good so i can go on the forum while evacuating but its still just a wait and hope right now

4 minutes ago, marron said:

This:?

I mean, yeah. That's my warning too. But I'd say the Hawkesbury is closest out of all of those, so, I'd still be looking to make sure you monitor it and be ready to go if need be.

thank you its weird yesterday smoke was a lot more visible but maybe it was just the wind direction or something, the haweksbury is a huge area so until it gets more specific i feel safe......ish :P

3 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

thank you i did get an sms from the fire service pretty much saying evacuate now if i live in colo heights and i am looking at the fire

https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/major-fire-updates/mfu?id=4895

which pretty much says i expect smoke in my area but its not something i should watch out for yet so i am not too sure,

If you are in the areas of Glen Davis, Putty Valley, Upper Colo, Webbs Creek, monitor conditions.

it doesnt even say i should be monitoring conditions all its saying is i should expect smoke so i am confused somewhat maybe i overreacted but i have not gotten a text from emergency services yet and i know its still going fast so its something i am paying close attention to, only about 30 km away so its still too close for comfort but the text i got was really for people of colo heights and not for me somewhat

Fair enough. In saying that, burning embers can start new fires up to 30 km's ahead of the main fire, although I suspect that you are not in that line of fire considering todays prevailing winds.

This is a big fire. It has been burning for a week in a Wilderness area (Wollemi National Park), where there are few to no residents. However, over the past few days, it has flared up and taken off towards Colo Heights and Colo. The fire is at the mercy of the winds of the day, as it has been almost impossible to fight due to the inhospitable terrain it has been burning in. I can clearly see the plumes of smoke from here in Castle Hill. It indeed looks huge.

As Marron has said, don't **** around if you feel under any threat.

162439_00fd6c4c3ad106849cb74a7f5493546f.

162599_e03639f5bd8ca38fdcc1d03f60d079ca.

9 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

thank you its weird yesterday smoke was a lot more visible but maybe it was just the wind direction or something, the haweksbury is a huge area so until it gets more specific i feel safe......ish :P

Yes, there was plenty of smoke here as well yesterday. The NE'er (sea breeze) blew in hard yesterday which blew all the smoke back over the western suburbs. Today, the winds have stayed westerly which has blown the smoke in a more easterly direction towards the coast.

Next week again looks nasty and dangerous. 

6 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Fair enough. In saying that, burning embers can start new fires up to 30 km's ahead of the main fire, although I suspect that you are not in that line of fire considering todays prevailing winds.

This is a big fire. It has been burning for a week in a Wilderness area (Wollemi National Park), where there are few to no residents. However, over the past few days, it has flared up and taken off towards Colo Heights and Colo. The fire is at the mercy of the winds of the day, as it has been almost impossible to fight due to the inhospitable terrain it has been burning in. I can clearly see the plumes of smoke from here in Castle Hill. It indeed looks huge.

As Marron has said, don't **** around if you feel under any threat.

162439_00fd6c4c3ad106849cb74a7f5493546f.

162599_e03639f5bd8ca38fdcc1d03f60d079ca.

that does look huge thank you, honestly i know when it comes to fire things can change so fast, the fire can move so fast and be unpredictable so i know i cant get complacent, that is huge though its such a beautiful area

3 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

Yes, it is.

The southerly last night has helped, although next week is looking dangerous again. Damn those temps!!

http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/penrith.shtml

thank you at least people can prepare for next week, i should have prepared for this week but i just didnt expect anythingto get close which wasnt a good idea

on another note i posted this video ages ago but its still amusing

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic