mack

Off Topic Thread 4

Christmas tree is up in the smog household.

Up early as will be taken down Boxing Day as going away on 27th.

10 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Christmas tree is up in the smog household.

Up early as will be taken down Boxing Day as going away on 27th.

Having a 4 year old meant the tree has been up for 2 weeks already, and will probably go on to become an Easter tree.

LISTEN UP PEOPLE!!!

Anyone on here or that knows someone, I have an old fridge , 40+ yrs, and a washing machine , 20+ yrs, still in good condition and working order, giving away FREE !  Clearing my aunties house as she’s now in a nursing home. Must go by the end of THIS WEEK , pick up only 

Was in Katoomba this arvo, a bit weird (well, more weird than normal). Dead because no tourists because all that stuff is shut, but everything else is still open, and then you look down and see the plumes and the choppers fighting the fire down one end of town. Went down to echo point, the thing is close, real close, but, more distressing is looking south and seeing the other fires away down there.  And of course you can still see gospers burning away from wenty too (or further up if you get out to the points).

21 minutes ago, marron said:

Was in Katoomba this arvo, a bit weird (well, more weird than normal). Dead because no tourists because all that stuff is shut, but everything else is still open, and then you look down and see the plumes and the choppers fighting the fire down one end of town. Went down to echo point, the thing is close, real close, but, more distressing is looking south and seeing the other fires away down there.  And of course you can still see gospers burning away from wenty too (or further up if you get out to the points).

I spend a bit of time walking down in the valley below Katoomba in the winter months as you know and know the tracks, trees and pools of water well. I have my favourite places I like to sit for a while. Its stunningly beautiful and peaceful down there, hope they get these fires sorted soon and before they impact on any properties.

20 hours ago, marron said:

So heartbreaking....it's happening everywhere.

21 hours ago, marron said:

Could see the plumes clearly from the riff today.

Going up the train you could also see the plumes from Gospers and associated fires super clearly too.

Bloody hell. It's only just begun.

Your family members have a clear fire plan Goat...for humans and your menagerie...if the worst happens?

Take care! :grouphug::grouphug:

thank you honestly no issues again its one of those things that gets too close but right now its sadly people in colo who have to worry not me as such, i guess i am being a bit paranoid about it

11 minutes ago, sonar said:

This isn't rain....it's the water particles from bushfires........scary as.......

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR713.loop.shtml#skip

Some of those fires have been showing on the radar for weeks..its horrendous isnt it. 

Showers and thunderstorms are no good. We need two or three solid rain events that soak in.

Lets hope we get it soon..if just to give the volunteer fire fighters a break and rest with families over xmas

6 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Some of those fires have been showing on the radar for weeks..its horrendous isnt it. 

Showers and thunderstorms are no good. We need two or three solid rain events that soak in.

Lets hope we get it soon..if just to give the volunteer fire fighters a break and rest with families over xmas

The outlook for summer is not good smoggy...........dry and hot for summer......below average rain....:(

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/outlooks/#/rainfall/summary

15 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Yep, decent, almost flooding rains are the only thing that are going to put these fires out.

My whole lifetime, I can never remember such a prolonged period of hot, drying westerly winds heading right through spring and into summer. Couple that with well below average rainfall, and these are the most volatile conditions I can remember in well over 40 years of following the weather since my early teenage years.

If we don't get decent rains soon, this summer could be catastrophic.

I drove past Oakhill College this arvo along Old Northern Rd and there was a clear view of the Gospers fire(s). It looks scary and so close. A change in wind direction  to northerly or north westerly and this fire would be bearing down on the Hawkesbury and would easily cross it with spot fires starting from ember attack. It's then into the Sydney Basin and we all know how dry it is here.

This truly is a dangerous situation.

Edited by Wanderboy

5 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Yep, decent, almost flooding rains are the only thing that are going to put these fires out.

My whole lifetime, I can never remember such a prolonged period of hot, drying westerly winds heading right through spring and into summer. Couple that with well below average rainfall, and these are the most volatile conditions I can remember in well over 40 years of following the weather since my early teenage years.

If we don't get decent rains soon, this summer could be catastrophic.

I drove past Oakhill College this arvo along Old Northern Rd and there was a clear view of the Gospers fire(s). It looks scary and so close. A change in wind direction  to northerly or north westerly and this fire would be bearing down on the Hawkesbury and would easily cross it with spot fires starting from ember attack. It's then into the Sydney Basin and we all know how dry it is here.

This truly is a dangerous situation.

I first arrived in Australia December 2001, that was my first Xmas in Australia. I remember walking out of the airport and smelling smoke. The millennium drought was in full swing then..not much rain in 2002. Its as bad as it has been since then, but think that was an El Nino period. No El Nino this time, Indian Ocean doing the damage, which should break down soon...i say should but who knows...

Edited by Smoggy

11 minutes ago, sonar said:

The outlook for summer is not good smoggy...........dry and hot for summer......below average rain....:(

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/outlooks/#/rainfall/summary

Humidity should come around or post Xmas...that what it does here on coastal NSW. But where will the trigger come from to inject moisture...no NW cloud bands sucking in moisture from the monsoon, which is still weak..very worrying

The Green Wattle Creek fire is nuts. Currently about 30ish kms from our place. The local RFS had info sessions last night to let everyone know what’s happening.  They said It will take a week of rain to put it out. Without it, these fires are likely to burn for some time. The plans you make aren’t for the next day or two, they’re for the immediate future. 

the fire jumped the river a couple hrs back and they’re evacuating people from Oakdale which is directly in its path. There’s ash in the air. 

@Paul01 how is it up your way? You’re closer than I am

1 minute ago, SomeGuy1977 said:

The Green Wattle Creek fire is nuts. Currently about 30ish kms from our place. The local RFS had info sessions last night to let everyone know what’s happening.  They said It will take a week of rain to put it out. Without it, these fires are likely to burn for some time. The plans you make aren’t for the next day or two, they’re for the immediate future. 

the fire jumped the river a couple hrs back and they’re evacuating people from Oakdale which is directly in its path. There’s ash in the air. 

@Paul01 how is it up your way? You’re closer than I am

Ok at moment. Smoky but the fire is down at Nattai and The Oaks.

We had ash on the cars this morning.

4 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

My sister lives in Bonnet Bay and they have ash falling there.

Fire heading towards Camden based on wind direction.

There may be a wind change to Southerly overnight. That will be a problem with the fire near me as it could travel North like in 2002.

To the proud and self avowed weather nerds here...why are we still getting these Westerlies?

They aren't typical Summer winds, as far as I know.

Or is it just Spring Westerly winds lingering longer than usual.

Not that "usual" is relevant these days.

:(:(

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

I first arrived in Australia December 2001, that was my first Xmas in Australia. I remember walking out of the airport and smelling smoke. The millennium drought was in full swing then..not much rain in 2002. Its as bad as it has been since then, but think that was an El Nino period. No El Nino this time, Indian Ocean doing the damage, which should break down soon...i say should but who knows...

Yep, the IOD certainly playing it's part in this dry spell. And yes, who knows when it will break down.

I have this memory that sometimes, when there is a hot, dry fire prone lead up to Christmas, that Jan/Feb are generally cooler and wetter. I hope this is the case.

Anyhow, my sister who lives in Bonnet Bay just sent me a phone pic. It is orange down there and they have ash falling.

Worse still, I just checked the Penrith forecast for the next 7 days.

36, 34, 31, 35, 44, 27, 24. Farrk.

Meanwhile.....

167168_a731e6d2505d153cb692a9fba735c4e8.

167231_3b550642f67a95a43581040fecd1a67a.

167206_cc7135341264d785d02bd346f0de4f36.

Edited by Wanderboy

5 minutes ago, wendybr said:

To the proud and self avowed weather nerds here...why are we still getting these Westerlies?

Equilibrium.

Hot air the red centre looking for a place to cool off.

http://www.farmonlineweather.com.au/models/

20 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Usually the monsoon trough will assert itself over the north and shift the high pressure belt south...this results in dominant North East or Easterlies for Sydney..with some rain events.and humidity..standard stuff fror summer. Usually we can tap in to the monsoon also..but all very quiet up there. What happens to the NW of Australia is quite inportant.

Melbourne is often hotter than Sydney post xmas in to Jan and Feb due to northerlies..which dont impact NSW coastal areas so much.