Off Topic Thread 4

mack

20 minutes ago, wendybr said:

To the proud and self avowed weather nerds here...why are we still getting these Westerlies?

They aren't typical Summer winds, as far as I know.

Or is it just Spring Westerly winds lingering longer than usual.

Not that "usual" is relevant these days.

:(:(

Yes, the westerly winds have lingered longer than usual Wendy. This is the issue.

They rarely produce rain for Sydney, or anywhere east of the divide, and are very drying, with extraordinarily low humidity. The duration of the westerlies has produced this dire situation we are now suffering. 

Not even the most knowledgeable weather people can exactly explain why. All they can put together is a combination of possible reasons. Weather and climate are still a very inexact science. So unpredictable to a certain degree.

22 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

Yep, the IOD certainly playing it's part in this dry spell. And yes, who knows when it will break down.

I have this memory that sometimes, when there is a hot, dry fire prone lead up to Christmas, that Jan/Feb are generally cooler and wetter. I hope this is the case.

Anyhow, my sister who lives in Bonnet Bay just sent me a phone pic. It is orange down there and they have ash falling.

Worse still, I just checked the Penrith forecast for the next 7 days.

36, 34, 31, 35, 44, 27, 24. Farrk.

Meanwhile.....

167168_a731e6d2505d153cb692a9fba735c4e8.

167231_3b550642f67a95a43581040fecd1a67a.

167206_cc7135341264d785d02bd346f0de4f36.

Oh God...

And is the smoke from what...2 million?? square hectares of forests....being factored into our greenhouse emissions??

WTH must these fires add to global emissions? :(:(

43 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Oh God...

And is the smoke frol  what...2 million?? square hectares of forests being factored into our greenhouse emissions??

WTH do these fires add to global emissions? :(:(

Well its turning glaciers in New Zealand a browny pink colour....going all that way and falling on them...

7 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Well its turning glaciers in New Zealand a browny pink colour....going all that way and falling on them...

:(:(

Saw something on Swiss glaciers...or what's left of them.... recently.

One had a reflective cover over a large part of it...to slow the melting.:(

8 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Better than the radioactive fallout that landed in Wales and Sweden after the Chernobyl Nuclear Explosion.

That still worries me to this day actually. I was at primary school when that happened and they reckon most people in eastern and north western Europe got a dose of radiation that week. Some say less than going to the dentist for an xray, but who knows, depending on how the cloud moved would have been more for some, especially in Sandinavia and Eastern Europe.

There is a youtube video of how the  cloud spread. Ukraine and Sandinavia got it worst...then SE / East Europe, Germany and France. Then part of the cloud did swing over the UK..but not the main part.

Just wonder how many cancers and deaths could be attributed to this over the last 30 years.

To be honest though there were fall out events most years living in the Boro. The sirens would go off and you would be told to keep your windows and doors closed. Chats over the back fence about which one had gone up this time..ICI or British Steel. Day would turn to night..or night turn to day if a big fire or ICI flaring off their waste. The whole town would glow orange...no darkness came.

Then you would get the all  clear and kids back out on the streets instantly.

4 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Smoke may affect all football games in Sydney. Y-league, A-League and W-League could all be postponed. 

Yeah they were discussing this late yesterday.

Automatic win for ESFC, 3 points to be awarded lol

One for the poms here. Remember doing the pools in winter and for postponed games a panel would determine the outcome? Some local little old lady would come around and collect your pools money and form.

Edited by Smoggy
  • mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic