mack

Off Topic Thread 4

I know a general idea is that if the pitch is covered by large patches of water that the ball can't roll through then it's too much and should be called off.

11 minutes ago, mack said:

I know a general idea is that if the pitch is covered by large patches of water that the ball can't roll through then it's too much and should be called off.

That's exactly what I would have thought. I would say that half the pitch was playable, the other half looked like Lake Parramatta.

I'm no do gooder, but I honestly thought it was somewhat dangerous. I've never seen a junior game of football played in these conditions and I was even surprised it went ahead in the first place. Conditions just got worse after that. 

1 hour ago, Wanderboy said:

I tried that trick today, standing in heavy rain (albeit under an umbrella) for almost 2 hours at young Wanderboys game at Fred Catterson Reserve. It reminded me of that Wanderers game in the WCC. I was seriously astounded the game wasn't abandoned. 1 touch passes stopping dead 2 feet away from where they were kicked. Puddles inches deep all over the pitch. 

The pitch was playable at the beginning, but it became clear early into the 2nd half after 45 mins of heavy rain that it wasn't.

Maybe some of our residents referees could pass comment on this? And by that I mean the pitch conditions, not my chances of catching pneumonia! :) 

I was in the middle for an o35s game this morning with another 3 games scheduled. The club president was in the home team and we both noticed that the ground was getting cut up so we called the rest of the games off as it would be too dangerous to play.

That said, my niece and nephew, both under the age of 12, are in SAP and were on synthetic pitches today in the northern suburbs where it is well known to rain heavier than anywhere else in Sydney. Their game went ahead so that there would not be a catch up game. That's Football NSW rules.

7 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

I was in the middle for an o35s game this morning with another 3 games scheduled. The club president was in the home team and we both noticed that the ground was getting cut up so we called the rest of the games off as it would be too dangerous to play.

Cheers.

It wasn't so much that the pitch was getting cut up, although it was a little bit. It was more about the erratic behavior of the ball, and some of the challenges that resulted from that, which was not the players fault by the way.

In the end, the players were becoming apprehensive because there were so many collisions occurring due to the dead ball. That's what I meant about it becoming somewhat dangerous.

11 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Cheers.

It wasn't so much that the pitch was getting cut up, although it was a little bit. It was more about the erratic behavior of the ball, and some of the challenges that resulted from that, which was not the players fault by the way.

In the end, the players were becoming apprehensive because there were so many collisions occurring due to the dead ball. That's what I meant about it becoming somewhat dangerous.

Junior games are different. Mens games will see studs up slide tackles becoming the real danger.

Not sure on the balls as they all synthetic now so they should be that erratic unless their pressure is not quite right.

10 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Junior games are different. Mens games will see studs up slide tackles becoming the real danger.

Not sure on the balls as they all synthetic now so they should be that erratic unless their pressure is not quite right.

That reply is quite confusing and doesn't make much sense tbh.

The game in question today was Youth League, so Under 20's. Not what I would call a junior game. Players are as big as men. And there were plenty of attempts at slide tackles which went wrong because of the erratic behavior of the ball. Again, that's where I believe it became dangerous. A 2nd opinion would be prudent.

@Prydzopolis

31 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

That reply is quite confusing and doesn't make much sense tbh.

The game in question today was Youth League, so Under 20's. Not what I would call a junior game. Players are as big as men. And there were plenty of attempts at slide tackles which went wrong because of the erratic behavior of the ball. Again, that's where I believe it became dangerous. A 2nd opinion would be prudent.

@Prydzopolis

Sorry. When you said junior, I didn't realise you meant u20s. My mind went to those under 16.

In my association, u17s, u21s and all age were all nearly all called off because of ground condition.

It is up to the referee to determine if the game is safe to play IF the ground has not been closed by a council or club. 

3 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

I tried that trick today, standing in heavy rain (albeit under an umbrella) for almost 2 hours at young Wanderboys game at Fred Catterson Reserve. It reminded me of that Wanderers game in the WCC. I was seriously astounded the game wasn't abandoned. 1 touch passes stopping dead 2 feet away from where they were kicked. Puddles inches deep all over the pitch. 

The pitch was playable at the beginning, but it became clear early into the 2nd half after 45 mins of heavy rain that it wasn't.

Maybe some of our residents referees could pass comment on this? And by that I mean the pitch conditions, not my chances of catching pneumonia! :) 

That was our schedule today but the matches were cancelled.

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

Sorry. When you said junior, I didn't realise you meant u20s. My mind went to those under 16.

In my association, u17s, u21s and all age were all nearly all called off because of ground condition.

It is up to the referee to determine if the game is safe to play IF the ground has not been closed by a council or club. 

The referee in question (who I may say had a very good game) is a long time participant of the home team's club. I'm in no way questioning his allegiance. He is a good bloke and a great referee.

I questioned him politely after the game (as a long time friend) about his thoughts. He said he was going to advise to his club admin that the remaining games for the day be called off. I left after our game so not sure what happened but I would be very surprised if the remaining games went ahead. Teams for the next games were already on the field ready to play. I'm not sure if they went ahead, but they shouldn't have. IMO. 

4 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

Thank goodness my games got called off, although I still had to get up at 6:30 to leave by 7:30 just in case my games went ahead. At least I could creep back into bed when they made that call at 7:30!

I’m guessing that since the field was fine at the beginning of the game, abandoning mid game would likely see a replay (maybe no replay at all) & a referee not getting his pay would play a part in his decision. Were there really standing water over 1/2 the ground?

The greater decision needs to be taken by the club to protect grounds. A field can be considered safe to play by the referee but the clubs need to take responsibility to protect the grounds. It’s the result of the games played today that will see already struggling fields being turned into dust bowls 

4 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

I’m guessing that since the field was fine at the beginning of the game, abandoning mid game would likely see a replay (maybe no replay at all) & a referee not getting his pay would play a part in his decision. Were there really standing water over 1/2 the ground?

The greater decision needs to be taken by the club to protect grounds. A field can be considered safe to play by the referee but the clubs need to take responsibility to protect the grounds. It’s the result of the games played today that will see already struggling fields being turned into dust bowls 

Surely no replay would be required if the majority of the match had been played? And surely the ref would be paid if he had completed the majority of the game. 

In a game of 2 x 45 minute halves which was into the 60/65th minute, and conditions became untenable, surely there are provisions where the ref could abandon the match? Seriously mate,  conditions were a serious joke. Kick after kick was going no where on a large part of the pitch. I'm not exaggerating.

FTR, Wanderboy's team was losing. Leading 1-0 at half time in reasonably ok conditions. 2nd half conditions were deplorable and the home team went up 3-1. I seriously would have been happy and accepted that they were awarded the game if it was abandoned. It's not about the result, more so the conditions.

On 26/07/2020 at 9:54 PM, Wanderboy said:

Surely no replay would be required if the majority of the match had been played? And surely the ref would be paid if he had completed the majority of the game. 

In a game of 2 x 45 minute halves which was into the 60/65th minute, and conditions became untenable, surely there are provisions where the ref could abandon the match? Seriously mate,  conditions were a serious joke. Kick after kick was going no where on a large part of the pitch. I'm not exaggerating.

It depends on the association: I know that mostly if a game isn’t finished, a referee doesn’t get paid. Even 60/65 minutes, had game abandoned for numerous reasons around that time that had to be replayed.

If it was unplayable, the game should have been abandoned unfortunately it never is as easy

Posted (edited)

It's amazing the difference in charges computer repair people charge.  My laptop HDD died yesterday. Went to two different repair places and got quotes.

Shop 1....Install new HDD and reinstall W10...$500.....or $350.......If I supplied the drive..  (plus an extra $400 to retrieve data from dead HDD)  

Shop 2 ....Install new HDD and reinstall W10...$180....or $60....... if I supplied the drive. ( Plus $250 to retrieve data from dead HDD )

I had a laptop that the screen had died but the HDD was ok so I used that....had backed up all my data so the cost in the end.......... $60....which I thought was a bargain.

Edited by sonar

The cost of recovery is just because they've got you right where they want you, right?

1 hour ago, marron said:

The cost of recovery is just because they've got you right where they want you, right?

I think so.

I back up everything to external devices for just that reason.

Ok listen up all you Tech heads!  I’m having probs with a Chromecast not picking up Wifi . Was told to plug it in to the downstairs tv , then once setup , plug it back in to the upstairs tv. Didn’t work....

Router is downstairs so I know the signal’s not as strong upstairs , but was told this should fix that :nono:

any advice?  :unknw:     factory reset maybe?  

1 hour ago, JackDoff said:

Ok listen up all you Tech heads!  I’m having probs with a Chromecast not picking up Wifi . Was told to plug it in to the downstairs tv , then once setup , plug it back in to the upstairs tv. Didn’t work....

Router is downstairs so I know the signal’s not as strong upstairs , but was told this should fix that :nono:

any advice?  :unknw:     factory reset maybe?  

Have you tried Brasscast? Or Bronzecast? Is Silvercast too expensive?

1 minute ago, Edinburgh said:

Have you tried Brasscast? Or Bronzecast? Is Silvercast too expensive?

:rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, JackDoff said:

:rolleyes:

Just trying to help .........

Maybe I should have just stopped reading at Tech heads!

1 minute ago, Edinburgh said:

Just trying to help .........

:lol:

2 minutes ago, JackDoff said:

:lol:

Maybe I should have just stopped reading at Tech heads!

Just now, NeverGoat said:

the best way to fix technology is to hit it

Technology and I seem to be having a running battle this year.....Unfortunately technology is playing a blinder........Two pc's and two remotes dead......lol

15 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

This topic reminds me I must binge on the 'IT crowd' boxset again soon..need more Moss. 

Great series....:D

Anyone else struggling with  a young teenager and this Fortnite shyte? Been around for ages I hear but he is fairly new to it...

I had a go at the weekend..I jumped out of this thing..my son shouted at me where to go....'go right..no go left..no don't go there..over there...' I landed and was apparently the first in the game to be knocked out..:unknw:

My son sat there with his hand over his face and his other hand out to give him the controller back....bastard...

3 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Anyone else struggling with  a young teenager and this Fortnite shyte? Been around for ages I hear but he is fairly new to it...

I had a go at the weekend..I jumped out of this thing..my son shouted at me where to go....'go right..no go left..no don't go there..over there...' I landed and was apparently the first in the game to be knocked out..:unknw:

My son sat there with his hand over his face and his other hand out to give him the controller back....bastard...

i have played a bit..........not my thing mostly because i am not 12 :P that said i like a character with a hamster as a playable character so maybe i dont really have a leg to stand on :P but fortnite as easy it is to mock its not the easiest game 

5 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

WOT?!