Off Topic Thread 4

After being inspired by some of the hobbies of other forumites, I decided to bite the bullet and bought a sewing machine recently. I learned to sew in highschool and was one of only seven girls who actually chose to do it as an elective in Year 10. 

But I haven’t really had the time or space to do it in the past, but I do now! So I’ve started volunteering for a charity sewing group who do dozens of projects for hospitals, nursing homes and other charities throughout the year. 

At the moment, they are making fiddle mats for dementia, Alzheimer’s and stroke patients at a major Brisbane hospital. So I gave it a go. Made some errors and poked myself with a needle like a million times, but I finally finished my first one and I’m pretty proud of my effort.

I’m going to try and make about half a dozen more then move on to some preemie baby gear like cuddle hearts and peanut pillows. 

6 hours ago, CaptainJess said:

After being inspired by some of the hobbies of other forumites, I decided to bite the bullet and bought a sewing machine recently. I learned to sew in highschool and was one of only seven girls who actually chose to do it as an elective in Year 10. 

But I haven’t really had the time or space to do it in the past, but I do now! So I’ve started volunteering for a charity sewing group who do dozens of projects for hospitals, nursing homes and other charities throughout the year. 

At the moment, they are making fiddle mats for dementia, Alzheimer’s and stroke patients at a major Brisbane hospital. So I gave it a go. Made some errors and poked myself with a needle like a million times, but I finally finished my first one and I’m pretty proud of my effort.

I’m going to try and make about half a dozen more then move on to some preemie baby gear like cuddle hearts and peanut pillows. 

That's amazing Jess. Post some more pics

I have a sewing machine brand new in its box. I hadnt got it out for the same reason of space, but i am getting some cupboards for the back room where i can then start putting crap away and get some space for sewing stuff. 

1 hour ago, EmMac said:

That's amazing Jess. Post some more pics

I have a sewing machine brand new in its box. I hadnt got it out for the same reason of space, but i am getting some cupboards for the back room where i can then start putting crap away and get some space for sewing stuff. 

Any hobby you can take up with your hands and is away from a screen is always worthwhile, what Jess is doing sounds great.

I was forced to do sewing at school from primary school right through to 3rd year of high school..all boys were lol I could still fix/mend something, and a bit more....a skill worth knowing still for anyone.

8 hours ago, CaptainJess said:

Good on you :good: And a great cause too..

Just watch out for Sonar and his feedback..its brutal...and has an aversion to blue...

Edited by Smoggy
22 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Good on you :good: And a great cause too..

Just watch out for Sonar and his feedback..its brutal...and has an aversion to blue...

Pfffft !

Kudos to Jess......she used more than 2 colours.......try it.

:D

Edited by sonar
  • 2 weeks later...

no but i'd love to go. my mrs has zero interest. my great grandparents were from there; my great great grandmother was a publican, she started in dubbo but kept pushing west after her husband ****ed off, I think she liked being on the edge of civilisation (she had a couple of charges of not keeping a good house kind of thing). Cobar, Louth, Broken Hill. And my great grandmother, who I remember, just, was on that train that the turkish fellas attacked in 1915, her dad was a miner and unionist, my grandmother used to have a photo of him during a big labor meeting a few years before that.  yeah, would genuinely love to go.

9 hours ago, marron said:

no but i'd love to go. my mrs has zero interest. my great grandparents were from there; my great great grandmother was a publican, she started in dubbo but kept pushing west after her husband ****ed off, I think she liked being on the edge of civilisation (she had a couple of charges of not keeping a good house kind of thing). Cobar, Louth, Broken Hill. And my great grandmother, who I remember, just, was on that train that the turkish fellas attacked in 1915, her dad was a miner and unionist, my grandmother used to have a photo of him during a big labor meeting a few years before that.  yeah, would genuinely love to go.

Been reading up..sounds interesting. Old industry to look at, loads of arty types some decent food places by the look of it. Silverton just down the road......thinking of hiring a car that you can leave in Broken Hill and train back...But might work out expensive..

Edited by Smoggy

I have rather distant  family connection to Broken Hill too, but have never been there.

Ive never been further West than Dubbi in NSW, but should go.

This might make for an interesting read for either Smoggy or Marron...even if you just dip into an entry here or there.

"Broken Hill's Big Strike - The Personal Diary of Jack Cogan - Australian Society for the Study of Labour History" https://www.labourhistory.org.au/hummer/no-29/jack-cogan/

13 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Some well travelled types here. Anyone here been to Broken Hill? Worth a look around for say 3 or 4 days? Long drive but any decent stops / overnighters...?

I haven't been there either but I've only ever heard good things about visiting there. 

The long drive is an issue but there are sure to be some interesting stops along the way* or on an alternate return route if you have time.

I expect you've already been to Dubbo Zoo. Even if you have it's worth another visit. 

* I remember I lived and worked in Boggabri for over a year then went back on a job a few years later and found out there was a National Park there with features worth seeing. I had no idea it existed when I lived there. I've travelled a fair bit through NSW doing the same work as I did on my return to Boggabri. There was nearly always something worth a visit when in a town for the weekend. So I reckon if you check out towns on the route you'll find something to do. 

If you are interested, you could drive back from Broken Hill, hang a left at Nyngan and make your way to Walgett (I lived and worked there too for over a year before Boggabri) and visit Lightening Ridge where there are a few things to see and do. But maybe that's a separate trip for another time.

49 minutes ago, mack said:

Flights to Broken Hill go Sydney -> Dubbo -> Broken Hill so that's another option especially if you want to see Dubbo as well.

Thinking of driving one way and train or plane back. The thought of the return drive is a bit off-putting. Not sure how doable this is...i mean if you are willing to pay you can do anything, but might not be cost effective for us..

More research needed...

Going to take a punt Wanderboy has been to Broken Hill?

Edited by Smoggy
6 hours ago, wendybr said:

I have rather distant  family connection to Broken Hill too, but have never been there.

Ive never been further West than Dubbi in NSW, but should go.

This might make for an interesting read for either Smoggy or Marron...even if you just dip into an entry here or there.

"Broken Hill's Big Strike - The Personal Diary of Jack Cogan - Australian Society for the Study of Labour History" https://www.labourhistory.org.au/hummer/no-29/jack-cogan/

That's great.

Da Duff was dead by then I think (miner's disease, or an accident, I can't remember); his "BIG STRIKE" must have been the 1909 one.

22 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Some well travelled types here. Anyone here been to Broken Hill? Worth a look around for say 3 or 4 days? Long drive but any decent stops / overnighters...?

I've been there. Only once and back in the early 90's.

Well worth the trip mate. It's a unique town. I drove there, and then down to the Murray at Mildura, for a week on a house boat on the river.

Broken Hill is a lovely country town, far distanced from other NSW towns. So much to see. Mining tour is a great experience. Plenty of art out there as well, and the food is good for a town like this. I've no doubt it has improved since then. As a builder, the lovely old buildings and local housing are delightful. The drive is both boring and interesting. It was bizarre seeing emus running across open plains on the drive out. Watch out for the cops though.

I'd highly suggest that you drive there and train it home like you were planning. The trip back on the Indian Pacific would be quite the experience.

And, Silverton is worth the visit. So much Aussie history is out there

I'd love to do it again one day..  

On 27/02/2021 at 12:14 PM, Carns said:

* Furiously taking notes *

'Yes! Of course! This is good stuff. Why didn't I think of that?'

glad i can help you so much with my cheese based dating tips :P

i am getting so many women with my cheese...........

seriously though a massive tree just randomly fell down in the backyard, crushed the clothes line, got very close to hitting the house, thank god no pets were hit(2 were outside so they could have easily been hurt), its not even harsh weather it just randomly decided to fall

28 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

glad i can help you so much with my cheese based dating tips :P

i am getting so many women with my cheese...........

seriously though a massive tree just randomly fell down in the backyard, crushed the clothes line, got very close to hitting the house, thank god no pets were hit(2 were outside so they could have easily been hurt), its not even harsh weather it just randomly decided to fall

Not good...but it sounds as though you've been fortunate to escape injuries and damage!

2 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Not good...but it sounds as though you've been fortunate to escape injuries and damage!

thank you luckily i never go outside so i was safe :P just 2 of my dogs happened to be outside at the time so i was so worried but thankful when i found them, the tree is kinda blocking the back door a bit which is a pain :P