Off Topic Thread 4

Unfortunately they are contractually obliged to attend press conferences, hence most of them deflecting, talking in clichés and the open disdain for the process.

31 minutes ago, Carns said:

Unfortunately they are contractually obliged to attend press conferences, hence most of them deflecting, talking in clichés and the open disdain for the process.

I know that. But they shouldn't be contractually obliged. To me, that is just wrong.

It stems from when the only way to create publicity was via the press.

If players wanted to promote the sport, get press, create bigger receipts, they needed to play the game.

Get rid of it though and any access to players outside their own PR is gone. 

I can't decide if I care too much about it in the end. 

What she has done is what people social anxiety do all the time, avoid things that cause them pain. She has obviously tried to work on that area but just cannot do it any longer. Further avoidance can create issues, but in this case speaking out may help

Good for her.

1 minute ago, marron said:

It stems from when the only way to create publicity was via the press.

If players wanted to promote the sport, get press, create bigger receipts, they needed to play the game.

Get rid of it though and any access to players outside their own PR is gone. 

I can't decide if I care too much about it in the end. 

Surely it could be simply changed to being optional for the players etc but they can't do it outside the the sports body association system/process. Plus they should be less restricted in what they can say.

Just now, Smoggy said:

What she has done is what people social anxiety do all the time, avoid things that cause them pain. She has obviously tried to work on that area but just cannot do it any longer. Further avoidance can create issues, but in this case speaking out may help

Good for her.

Yep, and as she's contractually obliged to, she has also gone, okay, no problem, I won't play. 

Tennis will be mad not to give her different contracts in future.

15 minutes ago, marron said:

Yep, and as she's contractually obliged to, she has also gone, okay, no problem, I won't play. 

Tennis will be mad not to give her different contracts in future.

Social anxiety is still poorly understood so her stand gives hope for others, including me.

yeah, absolutely- I didn't mean to sound dismissive of that part which is probably the most important out of all of it. 

A lot of it is the media rights holders want access to the players and stipulate that in their contracts. Some folks love social media and the spotlight ( Georgievski ) some don't.

I wonder if a player for the Wanderers refused to do social media,member phone ups etc or interviews what the outcome would be..?

14 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Coming home two fellas heading for the pub shouting about the origin, one NSW and the other a QLD person I gathered.

Genuinely had no fooking idea that is was State of Origin tonight...:pardon:

It was on? I must be in my own little bubble atm. Genuinely had no idea

15 hours ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

It was on? I must be in my own little bubble atm. Genuinely had no idea

Good innit?

Oh...I already said that didn't I! :D

I feel embarrassed that people from overseas might actually believe that the majority of Australians actually care about the SoO, from the way it's discussed in the media.

Ugh!!

9 hours ago, wendybr said:

Good innit?

I feel embarrassed that people from overseas might actually believe that the majority of Australians actually care about the SoO, from the way it's discussed in the media.

Ugh!!

Maybe an unpopular opinion but watching Rugby League now compared to 11 years ago it really sucks they over ref the game nowdays its just unrecognisable to me. 

9 hours ago, wendybr said:

Good innit?

Ugh!!

State of origin is one of the highest rating programs in Australian television isn't it?

24 minutes ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

State of origin is one of the highest rating programs in Australian television isn't it?

yep

to the extent that Nine could charge $150,000 for a 30 second ad spot a few years back

29 minutes ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

The game the other night had ratings of about 3 million. The biggest TV shows etc would be thrilled with half that.

7 hours ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

Depressing.

But even if it's 3 million, it's far from everyone across the 2 states.

Oh yeah almost forgot , met the chick from the Medibank ad dressed like a warrior? She was at the Blacktown Medieval Fair couple of w/ends ago. Beer is a wonderful thing! :drinks:

11 hours ago, JackDoff said:

Blacktown Medieval Fair 

The what now?.....

I have a brother in law in England who works in IT and loves nothing more than dressing up in Medieval costumes / role play stuff at weekends. He hates sport and we have nothing absolutely nothing zilch zero in common.

When my sister and him got engaged my mum and sister wanted us to get on and so sat us together at a night out meal thing. I had nothing to say to him after 2 mins and wanted to ******* drown him in his soup after 3 min.

I am thinking people like him are there.

You probably have more on common than you realise.... ask him about travelling to the Stoke medieval faire on a rainy Tuesday night, or what the old Re-enactment Hall was like before they pulled it down, or when his Troupe almost won the National Jousting competition the same week they lost the battle of Stamford Bridge.

42 minutes ago, marron said:

You probably have more on common than you realise.... ask him about travelling to the Stoke medieval faire on a rainy Tuesday night, or what the old Re-enactment Hall was like before they pulled it down, or when his Troupe almost won the National Jousting competition the same week they lost the battle of Stamford Bridge.

Now the battle of Stamford Bridge we do have in common!

He wishes he was at the one on 25th Sept 1066.

I was AT the battle of Stamford Bridge 28th May 1988! (The day we relegated Chelsea from the top flight) :D

3 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Now the battle of Stamford Bridge we do have in common!

He wishes he was at the one on 25th Sept 1066.

I was AT the battle of Stamford Bridge 28th May 1988! (The day we relegated Chelsea from the top flight) :D

There was no fake blood that day in May 88! :unsure: Carnage.

you know why the A-league has had decreased crowds and ratings recently? its the ******* A league all stars, they have not played for many years and suddenly ratings and crowd numbers are down, the clowns in charge dont have a clue that we need to use the love and admiration for the A-league all stars to start dominating the sporting landscape here

Could not agree more.

Everybody in Australia likes:

International football

Loads of goals.

A-League Allstars vs Tuvalu is SURE to smash all the metrics.

39 minutes ago, Carns said:

I'm just disappointed that Dancing with the Stars isn't on Ten any more. Could've had a great cross promotion of Dancing with the A-league All Stars. Opportunity lost!

....or the Olympics........

" ....and we now cross to our expert diving commentators Stephan Mauk and Bruno Fornaroli".......