mack

Off Topic Thread 4

6 hours ago, marron said:

Backberner

Newstopia

CNNNN

Hey this reminds me, what was that show about the journo who worked for a dodgy failing newspaper. More focussed on his personal life though.

Also, Life Support. Which was very similar in tone to Get Krackin', but a little more subtle and without the grating repetitive stuff.

the chasers war on everything is what i miss the most but backberner was very good

3 hours ago, marron said:

Yeah yeah. I'm just waiting for when "Get Krackin" goes back to its home planet.

Hopefully never to return! :meep:

7 hours ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

Get Krackin' is the the best satirical show about television since Frontline.

7 hours ago, spectacular291 said:

100% Agreed

:sad: OK....I get the message.

7 hours ago, spectacular291 said:

I also recommend 'The Hollowmen' as fantastic from the Working Dog Production crew

:good: ...because it was clever!  :meep:

not the same kind of show but seinfeld is one of those shows which is highly rated, i love becker and frasier similar format of show, but i have yet to see anything funny in it but people rave on about it so i dont know what to think :P not sure if friends or everybody loves raymond are meant to be similar but hated both shows

even a show like mash i couldnt ******* stand, i have had funnier bouts of depression but people loved that show

Everybody loves Raymond and Friends were the 90s equivalents of the classic sitcom formula - straightforward characters, a catchphrase or two, insert problem, fix problem. Raymond and his mrs would have a tiff but it would end with everything ok. 

Seinfeld gets a lot of love because it broke the formula - no hugs at the end. 

The scripts were tight as well. I love the writing in it myself. You've got to remember you're not supposed to like any of them too. 

MASH gets heaps of love because of the Vietnam era i think. Also it had lessons but it didn't have hugs. I mean it finished with killing a baby to make it shUT up.... you don't get that in Friends, right? 

It was kind of about depression too :lol: the lyrics to the theme song (they're not in the tv show) go "suicide is painless".

Edited by marron

16 minutes ago, marron said:

Everybody loves Raymond and Friends were the 90s equivalents of the classic sitcom formula - straightforward characters, a catchphrase or two, insert problem, fix problem. Raymond and his mrs would have a tiff but it would end with everything ok. 

Seinfeld gets a lot of love because it broke the formula - no hugs at the end. 

The scripts were tight as well. I love the writing in it myself. You've got to remember you're not supposed to like any of them too. 

MASH gets heaps of love because of the Vietnam era i think. Also it had lessons but it didn't have hugs. I mean it finished with killing a baby to make it shUT up.... you don't get that in Friends, right? 

It was kind of about depression too :lol: the lyrics to the theme song (they're not in the tv show) go "suicide is painless".

how did Seinfeld break the formula apart from the no hugs thing? i dunno just none of the humour works for me, just all falls flat, while a show like frasier or becker all have similar kind of formula's (even the simpsons and scrubs) but it works for me there(well not new simpsons but some simpsons it works for me), i didnt know there was baby killing in that :P just dont like any of the characters you are meant to like, same with cheers tbh i just dont like the characters, dont find them funny, and i know frasier is in cheers and lillith a character i like a lot from frasier but they are not enough to sell cheers for me, that said i have not watched much cheers but the main characters just annoy me :P

My mrs and her daughters find Friends funny......sigh

i tell her that Friends is join the dots comedy for 20 somethings and housewives

:meep:

:P

42 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

how did Seinfeld break the formula apart from the no hugs thing?

Larry David and Seinfeld said from the start that they didn't want the characters to grow or learn any lessons. They deliberately wanted their characters to be shallow and selfish. For the format at the time (particularly on a major network), it was revolutionary.

Seinfeld - no hugs, no teaching moments (same thing I guess), no likeable characters - I mean, that's huge, you can make a show where none of them are really redeemable? where they are all selfish? , no family, or when they made appearances, total family dysfunction (although the simpsons did this, but then, in the 90s, it still had hugs). Rather than focusing on the relationships between the main characters, like most of the others at the time did, it focused on the really mundane things, the first world problems, which they took to extremes. There were always mundane things in other sitcoms, but they were there to bring out the relationship stuff between characters or provide a moral lesson. Seinfeld was just like, yeah, it IS ******* annoying when I can't think of a good comeback.... but it's funny to watch someone fixate on it.  Elaine was not a mother, or a girlfriend, or even a potential girlfriend. Jerry and Elaine dated in the past but you never saw it from memory.

I liked Becker. Frasier's great. I'm talknig out of my arse right now but I think that both of those shows, even if they are a bit more "sitcommy", don't happen without Seinfeld. They're both headed up by selfish, kind of unlikeabe people. Becker hates everything, Frasier is full of himself.

The baby killer thing is a massive spoiler so sorry if anyone hadn't seen what was once the most watched tv program in history from like 40 years ago :lol:

The radio times just released a list of the top 20 british sitcoms

1. Fawlty Towers (1975-9, BBC Two)
  2. Father Ted (1995-8, Channel 4)
  3. I'm Alan Partridge (1997-2002, BBC Two)
  4. Blackadder (1983-9, BBC One)
  5. Dad's Army (1968-77, BBC One)
  6. Only Fools and Horses (1981-2003, BBC One)
  7. Porridge (1973-8, BBC One)
  8. The Royle Family (1998-2012, BBC One)
  9. Absolutely Fabulous (1992-2012, BBC Two)
  10. Dinnerladies (1998-2000, BBC One)
  11. The Thick of It (2005-12, BBC Four and Two)
  12. The Office (2001-3, BBC Two)
  13. Peep Show (2003-15, Channel 4)
  14. The Vicar of Dibley (1994-2007, BBC One)
  15. The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin (1976-9, BBC One)
  16. The Young Ones (1982-4, BBC Two)
  17. Gavin & Stacey (2007-10, BBC Three and One)
  18. The Good Life (1975-8, BBC One)
  19. Detectorists (2014-17, BBC Four)
  20. Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads? (1973-4, BBC One)

No Spaced or Boosh or Red Dwarf. Or Yes Minister.

Porridge IS bloody good, I always forget.

7 minutes ago, marron said:

There are a couple of excellent Brit Sit Coms on Stan 

- This Country

- People Just Do Nothing 

also Fleabag should be on that list too 

cant believe they haven’t put Brasseye in their

Edited by StringerBellend

1 hour ago, marron said:

Seinfeld - no hugs, no teaching moments (same thing I guess), no likeable characters - I mean, that's huge, you can make a show where none of them are really redeemable? where they are all selfish? , no family, or when they made appearances, total family dysfunction (although the simpsons did this, but then, in the 90s, it still had hugs). Rather than focusing on the relationships between the main characters, like most of the others at the time did, it focused on the really mundane things, the first world problems, which they took to extremes. There were always mundane things in other sitcoms, but they were there to bring out the relationship stuff between characters or provide a moral lesson. Seinfeld was just like, yeah, it IS ******* annoying when I can't think of a good comeback.... but it's funny to watch someone fixate on it.  Elaine was not a mother, or a girlfriend, or even a potential girlfriend. Jerry and Elaine dated in the past but you never saw it from memory.

I liked Becker. Frasier's great. I'm talknig out of my arse right now but I think that both of those shows, even if they are a bit more "sitcommy", don't happen without Seinfeld. They're both headed up by selfish, kind of unlikeabe people. Becker hates everything, Frasier is full of himself.

The baby killer thing is a massive spoiler so sorry if anyone hadn't seen what was once the most watched tv program in history from like 40 years ago :lol:

that does make sense, i mean now days there are plenty of shows where there is pretty much no likable characters but that was after seinfeld, honestly should give seinfeld another shot, i would say frasier doesnt really have a happy ending at least for frasier(for the other characters they learn and have happy endings niles for example) but frasier himself he repeats the same mistakes over and over when it comes to romantic relationships, and then leaves for a big new job to a place where he has no friends, no family ect so he starts over similar to how he did at the start of frasier, i mean he did grow and improve a bit but not that much :P

becker imo lost its way a bit after reggie left and chris became a normal character, same with losing bob and gaining Hector, Chris and Hector were just not as good imo and while i still enjoy episodes with those 2 characters i much prefer them with reggie and bob, even when scrubs lost most of its cast and completely changed its entire setting i thought it did it pretty well but becker not so much, just my opinion though

glad blackadder made it onto that list, apart from the first season blackadder is complete quality

you are right about becker and frasier, becker actually reminds me a lot of doctor cox from scrubs

1 hour ago, marron said:

Porridge should be at 1...

Godber gave us Kate Beckinsale  :wub:

holy crap i forgot about chris in becker and i don't even remember hector.

reggie and bob all the way.

oh **** that guy from lost. I remember now.

Edited by marron

1 hour ago, marron said:

If there is one series on that list that you should watch it is 'Detectorists', written by Mackenzie Crook (Gareth from The Office). 

It totally flew under the radar even in the UK and was buried down on BBC Four which is a channel no one watches. But then word got around and it was shunted up the channels and given a prime time slot. 

It is very British lol It is set in a small town and follows a group of metal detectorist enthusiasts, i know it sounds ridiculous, but it is brilliantly written by Mackenzie. Not sure it works so well outside the UK though as well as the others.

Looking at that list i think that Detectorists is the only one from the last few years.

The Likely Lads is brilliant,  set in my native North East. The episode when they try to avoid the football result so they can watch the recording on the TV later without knowing the result is brilliant. I hear the theme tune in my head every time i think about it.

Edited by Smoggy

yeah likely lads was good, used to watch that when I was over there. i didn't realise it was written by the guys who wrote porridge.

detectorists is on my list of things to watch.

3 minutes ago, marron said:

yeah likely lads was good, used to watch that when I was over there. i didn't realise it was written by the guys who wrote porridge.

detectorists is on my list of things to watch.

Detectorists i sometimes watch back in one go. Mackenzie and Toby Jones sat under a tree just talking...its slow paced and low budget but its good stuff. You wonder if they will ever find their gold.....and well ...i wont spoil it.

Edited by Smoggy

9 minutes ago, marron said:

holy crap i forgot about chris in becker and i don't even remember hector.

reggie and bob all the way.

i think it would have been more progressive if they put linda, chris and reggie in a polygamous relationship together......a guy can dream :P

Detectorists theme tune, among all the reality TV bullshyte there is something very calming about this series, I need to watch it again now...

Edited by Smoggy

2 hours ago, marron said:

Wow, I would have put On The Buses in the top 5.

I grew up with that show.

42 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Detectorists i sometimes watch back in one go. Mackenzie and Toby Jones sat under a tree just talking...its slow paced and low budget but its good stuff. You wonder if they will ever find their gold.....and well ...i wont spoil it.

8X5PXqr.gif

HG is such a waste of space, his entire comedy style is shouting things and for some reason people find it funny, roy has funny moments but HG is just garbage

On 10/04/2019 at 8:50 PM, Neverbloom said:

HG is such a waste of space, his entire comedy style is shouting things and for some reason people find it funny, roy has funny moments but HG is just garbage

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115caf5781544238766f

I have generally been watching from the sideline, but came to say one thing.

How good was Seinfeld, Love how you’ve broken it down but never saw it that way. In saying that, anyone who disses it gets one of these :smurfpoint: