Off Topic Thread 4

mack

1 minute ago, Erimus said:

That's Australian for 'we don't have the vision to see this through'. That;s why I love some of the old Victoria era industrialists and engineers that were told 'that could never be done' but went out and found a way regardless...

Have you ever been on the Shinkansen in Japan? It's amazing

It's probably also the main reason we can't have something like it in Australia until our population is 30-35m, because the Shinkansen stops at pretty large towns and big cities. Goulburn is a population of less than 50,000 - to even consider building multi-million dollar infrastructure (and by that, I mean the train station and the extra distance by routing for the train line to go there) for a town that size is just pork barreling at the moment. I think the smallest Shinkansen station on the main Osaka-Tokyo line is for a town of 50k population or so - I feel that would be the turning point to even consider going to Goulburn. Otherwise, something like Sydney-Wollongong-Canberra-Albury-Melbourne, with capacity to build a Goulburn station on the Wollongong-Canberra leg.

Apparently Wagga Wagga is more populous than Goulburn so that could be another station between Canberra and Albury

7 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

It's probably also the main reason we can't have something like it in Australia until our population is 30-35m, because the Shinkansen stops at pretty large towns and big cities. Goulburn is a population of less than 50,000 - to even consider building multi-million dollar infrastructure (and by that, I mean the train station and the extra distance by routing for the train line to go there) for a town that size is just pork barreling at the moment. I think the smallest Shinkansen station on the main Osaka-Tokyo line is for a town of 50k population or so - I feel that would be the turning point to even consider going to Goulburn. Otherwise, something like Sydney-Wollongong-Canberra-Albury-Melbourne, with capacity to build a Goulburn station on the Wollongong-Canberra leg.

Apparently Wagga Wagga is more populous than Goulburn so that could be another station between Canberra and Albury

The fast tilting trains they have on the west coast main line in England would be appropriate for fast trains here, they can go fast on lines that have some curves. The opening up and development of places along a high speed rail line wont come without commitment to a fast line. I think what you mention above is the second generation of high speed trains, which we will never see here in our lifetime.

Edited by Erimus
10 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

The thing I find most frustrating in this country that when infrastructure is built it is rarely built to have extra capacity built in....ie extension to the M4,M5,M2 etc  were all done after the initial builds at a far greater cost than what it would have if it was built with extra capacity from the beginning. The same could be said for high speed rail. Build it now and then you have the capacity to add stations later on. I always thought the best options were from Cairns to Perth ( Adelaide to Darwin ) and as the population grows the infrastructure is already in place.

Edited by sonar
15 minutes ago, Erimus said:

Replacing the old intercity V sets that rattle up to Bleakheath and Newcastle would be a start, they are embarrassing. 

Already happening. 

I'm going to miss them to be honest. They're comfortable. I don't think the new ones will be anywhere near as comfortable from what i've seen. When you are sitting on them for hours that's not great. The v-sets do have their issues though for sure. 

The new ones were also bought without actually being appropriate for the line and its stations. So they're currently having to redo the 10 tunnels at lithgow, so the new trains won't wobble and hit the sides, and fix up a bunch of stations so that the new trains can actually fit around the bends. From memory they also wobble too much for it to be safe to go at any great speed past other trains. I'm sure someone got a nice kickback somewhere for  the decision to offload them to us. Probably a few people. 

17 minutes ago, marron said:

Already happening. 

I'm going to miss them to be honest. They're comfortable. I don't think the new ones will be anywhere near as comfortable from what i've seen. When you are sitting on them for hours that's not great. The v-sets do have their issues though for sure. 

The new ones were also bought without actually being appropriate for the line and its stations. So they're currently having to redo the 10 tunnels at lithgow, so the new trains won't wobble and hit the sides, and fix up a bunch of stations so that the new trains can actually fit around the bends. From memory they also wobble too much for it to be safe to go at any great speed past other trains. I'm sure someone got a nice kickback somewhere for  the decision to offload them to us. Probably a few people. 

They have had their day, only so long you can patch up a hole on the inside with a sheet of metal and some pop rivets lol I did hear about the need for track realignment in some areas. Its not the trains that is the issue, its the victorian era track infrastructure, needed an upgrade for a long time. 

Maybe with Babbel's Swiss connections he can get a tunnel builder in on marquee funds and do us an alps style tunnel under the mountains...

14 hours ago, marron said:

The new ones were also bought without actually being appropriate for the line and its stations. So they're currently having to redo the 10 tunnels at lithgow, so the new trains won't wobble and hit the sides, and fix up a bunch of stations so that the new trains can actually fit around the bends

Isn’t it nuts? You’d think they’d buy trains that actually fit the current sized tunnels & platforms?

I’d imagine that it would cost a fortune to make the adjustments to tunnels & stations.

3 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Isn’t it nuts? You’d think they’d buy trains that actually fit the current sized tunnels & platforms?

I’d imagine that it would cost a fortune to make the adjustments to tunnels & stations.

widening the tunnels and narrowing the platforms will bring the springwood - lithgow section up to the same standard as the rest of the network. this isn't new - it already happened to the rest of the network decades ago. 

32 minutes ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

this isn't new - it already happened to the rest of the network decades ago. 

I guess the way the tunnels were dug is much the way most of NSW’s infrastructure was built. Built for the now, not the future (ie M2)

36 minutes ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

Sort out your gif game

:smurfnono:

2 hours ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

widening the tunnels and narrowing the platforms will bring the springwood - lithgow section up to the same standard as the rest of the network. this isn't new - it already happened to the rest of the network decades ago. 

Agreed...its not the new trains that is the issue. The rail infrastructure from Penrith to Lithgow is Victorian and needs upgrading. Yes a big cost compared to trains, but needs to be done.

1 hour ago, Prydzopolis said:

I guess the way the tunnels were dug is much the way most of NSW’s infrastructure was built. Built for the now, not the future (ie M2)

Sort out your gif game

:smurfnono:

Not as bad as Wendy's previous gif efforts, they are so bad they are legendary.

1 hour ago, Erimus said:

Anyone else had a flu jab and feel a bit shyte afterwards..i do...

I had to spend a bit of money this week so could be that making me woozy i suppose..but think the jab somehow.

Now....they say that when you get a flu shot it doesn't give the flu....but my last experience made me think otherwise. Our employer paid for everyone to get free flu shots....done by a registered nurse on the premises. Within a week 3/4 of the staff were laid up........with the flu......including yours truly......lol 

12 minutes ago, sonar said:

Now....they say that when you get a flu shot it doesn't give the flu....but my last experience made me think otherwise. Our employer paid for everyone to get free flu shots....done by a registered nurse on the premises. Within a week 3/4 of the staff were laid up........with the flu......including yours truly......lol 

I hear it takes 2 weeks to work though, and in that time you can still catch it, so I guess you could be unlucky and catch the flu a few days after the jab.

10 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

Also if you do feel unwell after the flu shot - that's good, because it means your immune system is working...

lol.....I'm sure as people are laying in bed thinking they are dying they are also thanking their immune system which failed to stop the flu....lol 

Edited by sonar
  • mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic