Off Topic Thread 4

mack

1 minute ago, Erimus said:

Can walk to Epping station in around 10-15mins, yes Macquarie and Chatswood one way, but can now go the other way if want to.

Yeh, well that's excellent. Both the Towers and Rouse Hill are excellent alternative shopping destinations to Chatswood and Macquarie Centre.

That's 4 brilliant choices in either direction in roughly a 20-25 minute travel cycle. 

4 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I've been on it 4 times now - to Rouse Hill and back on that first day - when it seemed like half of the Sydney population came exploring, then to the city and back last Sunday.

Three of the four trips were smooth and flawless - the one out of the city last Sun had some sort of glitch at Chatswood - probably a 20-25 min delay...where the train coming in moved off to where it's supposed to turn around, but just sat there - while 3 really full North Shore line trains dumped more people on the Metro platform.

Not a problem really, but a few people waiting there said they'd experienced similar delays.

Still a great service - and it's DEFINITELY removed cars from around the Hills, which is fantastic.

We had a slight glitch at Tallawong. When we arrived there were not many getting off our train and everyone heading the other way were spilling off the other train and joining the one we just arrived in. Then they announced it was the original train they were on and so all of those people that changed from one train had to go back to the other lol

2 minutes ago, Erimus said:

Discussing the railway systems of Australia like a few weeks ago you mean, some very.. ahem... knowledgeable rail enthusiasts....post on this forum I have noticed :D

I know who 2 of you are.

I'll wait here while you dig up the answer to my enquiry above! :lol:

1 minute ago, wendybr said:

One other thing - the Metro must be a game changer for people in wheelchairs and mobility scooters.

Up and down from street level in lifts, then they can just roll on and off the Metro with ease, with no gaps between the carriage and the platform.

I think it is every 5mins in peak, apart from next weekend when there will be a bus replacement service for track work...and so it begins :D

4 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I wonder how many trains they have - if, in peak hour, they are arriving all along the route at ...is it 5 min intervals??

I believe there is about 23/24 trainsets. Enough to do the initial 5 minute spacing in both directions during the peak.  Off-peak services are 10 minutes.

After a 6 month settling in period, they are planning on reducing peak services to 4 minutes. They can eventually reduce it to two minutes with extra sets.

Also to be noted is the current trains are 6 carriage sets. All the platforms have been designed for 8 carriages, so if and when demand warrants it in the future, they can just add another two carriages to each train. So in reality, current capacity is running at less than half what the system is capable of.

7 minutes ago, wendybr said:

One other thing - the Metro must be a game changer for people in wheelchairs and mobility scooters.

Up and down from street level in lifts, then they can just roll on and off the Metro with ease, with no gaps between the carriage and the platform.

Mobility access is brilliant. 30-40 mm max platform gap.

None of this stupid London "Mind the Gap" ****!!

I believe there is about 23/24 trainsets. Enough to do the initial 5 minute spacing in both directions during the peak.  Off-peak services are 10 minutes.

After a 6 month settling in period, they are planning on reducing peak services to 4 minutes. They can eventually reduce it to two minutes with extra sets.

Also to be noted is the current trains are 6 carriage sets. All the platforms have been designed for 8 carriages, so if and when demand warrants it in the future, they can just add another two carriages to each train. So in reality, current capacity is running at less than half what the system is capable of.

Wow!

Thank you Transport Nerd No1.......er……..I mean WB! :D :D

3 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

I might be a transport nerd but I'm not a stupid ****er. That dumb arse got knocked over by that train!! :)

You really must be in the know! !  :lol:

PS Did he survive?? :(

I was trying to find a clip...I'm pretty sure...of English girls...all dressed in the horsey gear... trotting about with immaculte precision,  and juming elegantly over steeple jump type barrirers.

But couldn't find it.

The world is a bizarre place...but each to her own I guess.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic