Sign in to follow this  
mack

Australian National Discussion V3

12 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

Surprising score 

Czech Republic had a clodhopping second half to be fair 

Suprising formation too.

4-4-1-1

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

SO after watching the game last night... I think its safe to say these players will not be going to the WC.

James Troisi

That Karecic guy

Jamie Maclaren

Josh Brillante

Commentators saying after the game that Jedinak may miss out on selection. BVM wants pace.He is too slow according to them. Now that would be a surprise.

26 minutes ago, sonar said:

Commentators saying after the game that Jedinak may miss out on selection. BVM wants pace.He is too slow according to them. Now that would be a surprise.

Jedi is a real curate's egg of a player. He can deliver some very decent performances and has both quality leadership and  dead ball skill. On the other hand I've seen him time and time again make mistakes with his passing & even that awful own goal against Oman back in the 2014 qualification run.

Would not be that unhappy to see him left out, alongside Timmy C.

I agree, jedinaks been slow for a while now, he might go to Russia as a 'leader' but not a starting 11 player

I dunno. I’ve been as critical of Jedi as the next guy, but when he’s not in there we lack a bit of toughness. He’s a hard one. Maybe if Berti thinks that he’s got the team organised enough then he won’t need him.

Is the selection of Milligan as CB showing that Berti wants mobile players that can pass? That ain’t Jedi.

6 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Surprised macclaren got in but a good call. Especially with Juric not being 100%

In the after match interview BVM said Juric had had 2 full training sessions with the squad prior to the games against the Czechs and was fit. Most probably didn't want to chance him in a game that was more about the fringe players than who was actually going. I'm am not upset Troisi or Brilliante missed out. Know nothing of Karacic so can't comment there.

We have a game against Hungary next Sat I think, and I have a feeling we will see what his starting 11 for the world cup opener for us against France will look like.I'm hoping we don't get embarassed more than anything else.

Good article, good selections

7 hours ago, matty said:

Good article, good selections

Yep.  Also good to think that the manager is willing to make an about turn so quickly. Very differnt from the stubborn attitude we've seen from Ange. Who would have thought a Dutch coach would be the less stubborn!

Also, whether or not Arzani can make a difference this time, if it was neck and neck with someone else then he had to the one picked, as he's got numerous World Cups left in him if his career goes well.

I'm loving this BvM regime. Just look at our improvement in the space of three games. How good is it to not see us being sliced open through the middle every time we lose the ball?? You can tell the midfielders are more confident now too because they know they have protection.

Also yeah he's not afraid to change his mind, as the MacLaren selection shows. 

I know it was a friendly and all that, but when did we last beat anyone this convincingly. It's very impressive to reach that level in such a short space of time. Defending long balls still a massive issue though.

I still expect France to beat us and the other two teams are good sides as well, but it's not ludicrous to suggest we could get some points in every game now. Such a far cry from nearly losing to Syria.

Peru sliced through Saudi 3 nil overnight 

the result against Czech gave me hope we won’t lose all 3 games with a negative gd of 10 

to be honest I’d be happy as long as we compete like Ange did in first 2 games last time 

1 hour ago, GunnerWanderer said:

Peru sliced through Saudi 3 nil overnight 

the result against Czech gave me hope we won’t lose all 3 games with a negative gd of 10 

to be honest I’d be happy as long as we compete like Ange did in first 2 games last time 

Saudi Arabia coached by Pizzi who failed to get Chile to the World Cup instead of BvM. Looks like Saudi back to pre-BvM days.

Guerrero with 2 goals.

The Czechs were poor in the second half, and to be honest our performance against them in a friend is hardly a definitive measure of how well BvM and the squad will do in the Rodina later this month.

However it is good to see hard work & pragmatism that prioritises results now has the ascendancy rather than some pathological desire to play to a particular style. Also the squad selected has a nice mix of experience & potential. Not sure if there is much hope of us getting out of the group stage but I think our chances are better. Oh, and it'll be good to watch a coach with international success before Arnie takes over.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/06/15/10/01/how-bert-won-over-the-socceroos

Good article. Gives some insight into how the Australian National team operates under Bert van Marwijk.

All the ingredients are in place, arguably the best available squad of players on form, the best coach at short notice. All that remains is how well they can execute the things they have planned and trained for on Saturday night against France.

Looking forward to it.