World Cup 2018

mack

1 minute ago, Davo said:

There’s also a huge percentage of Australians who were born in England or have an English parent. My dad’s English so half of my extended family are over there. I’ll always support Australia over any other country but I always want England to do well in football.

Exactly. My heritage is irish so its australia, ireland then england. I lived in the uk for ten years so i have a fondness for the brits

7 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Your old man from South Shields would have been loving this Wendy ?:) 

I know my old grandads would be looking down and enjoying this big time!

Even with this, he'd have been saying "May the best team win".

I mean it.

Underneath....it might have been different....but he wouldn't have said it. :lol:

4 minutes ago, marron said:

Cricket though?

I guess the other thing that helps is we so rarely play England in football.  

Yeah can’t stand the English cricket team but a) there’s a much bigger rivalry there with the ashes and b) I care a LOT less about cricket.

1 minute ago, wendybr said:

Well done...happy for you Smoggy...and any other Pommies on here.

There will always be next game. :spiteful:

Nah...only kidding!. 

:meep: :meep:

Really enjoyed on here tonight...thanks for putting up with us pommy bastards....better go talk to the old man.....who looks and sounds pissed :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, luisenrique said:

Nek minnit Russia wins the next game

Nearly!

There’s a danger that Croatia will be spent but if they are anywhere near full strength England will be chasing the ball all game. However, Croatia have no killer up front and always give teams a chance, so the England crosses and set pieces could get em home.

I really hope both teams who have never won make the final.

Edited by btron3000
5 hours ago, wendybr said:

I reckon quite a bit of the "hate" is a bit of a front....and deep down there's a bit of never-spoken ...err....not-hate.

Or maybe that's just me! :lol:

Just you.

Haha I’ve already posted that I liked the 90s team. After that the team became Prima donnas and the fans...

Always so down on the team, never recognising the quality of the opposition, then they win a game any they gonna win the Cup etc etc

This time’s been a little different as the malaise got to a point (Big Sam) where even the most one-eyed England fan had to lower expectations and the run to the semi has been done with a bit more fun and pisstake than normal.

39 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Nearly!

There’s a danger that Croatia will be spent but if they are anywhere near full strength England will be chasing the ball all game. However, Croatia have no killer up front and always give teams a chance, so the England crosses and set pieces could get em home.

I really hope both teams who have never won make the final.

Yep. I'd be happy to see a Belguim v Croatia final.......epic for both of them....lol ( No offence smoggy, but you guys have already won it. )

56 minutes ago, sonar said:

Yep. I'd be happy to see a Belguim v Croatia final.......epic for both of them....lol ( No offence smoggy, but you guys have already won it. )

It is massive for all the teams left in. 1966 of course is legendary in England and so much hurt since then trying. We have seen all the big boys collect in a few times over. Most werent born in 66 and i would desperatly love to see England win it in my life time.

I really dont know how it is going to play from here. If England cannot win it then I guess I would like Belgium to. I feel no bitterness or hate towards any of the teams left in there.

But goodness me! What a world cup! 

Edited by Smoggy
1 hour ago, sonar said:

Non taken...i appechiate that many who post here dont back England but that is cool, the banter is great and last night was awesome :)

Edited by Smoggy

It's a win win win at our house. I'm a cic with both French and Croatian roots, and my wife is English heritage. Just need to find a Belgian relative now.

I'm regrettably tipping Belgian and England final. As much as id love to see the Croats go through I do feel they've not got the weapons up front. The French, pffft well everyone hates the French according to all those allo allo episodes I watched as a kid.

• mack unpinned this topic