mack

World Cup 2018

2 hours ago, btron3000 said:

If you plonked both teams down on the pitch fully fit with no backstory, I’d say it’s 60-40 Croatia, maybe a bit more. They’d dominate possession with the only issues being their lack of killer instinct and England’s ability with crosses and set-pieces.

But England are riding a wave of confidence (thanks a lot Uribe, you’ve ruined it for the rest of the world!!), are fit and ready to go while Croatia are looking tired and hurt, and unbelievably playing without fear.

I’d say it’s about 60-40 England. But there’s also been stories out of camp that they’re starting to chat about 66. That’s not a good idea, admitting this sort of stuff to the press usually precedes a fall.

Gonna be VERY interesting.

Wouldn't disagree with that. 

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

5 hours ago, wendybr said:

Smoggy and his boy delirious with joy now I come to think of it!! :yahoo:

Maybe, just maybe this is all karma after the really really hard period I had earlier this year, some good stuff coming back. With or without England I am doing good....but a WC win would just rather round it off nicely :D

But gotta stop getting carried away....its only gonna hurt more...gotta stop thinking about winning, bloody hell. don't want to feel like 1990 all over again..<sigh> can't we just get spanked by the likes of Iceland every time and go out in the groups......:nono: aarrrgghhhhh, this is going to be ******* hell.....:(

Edited by Smoggy

Probably safer to expect the worst...and hope for the best...or whatever the saying is! :lol:  :lol:

PS You're making it hard to support anyone but England.

Stop it please! :sad:

PS Just listening to ABC News... Pommies are firming as Aussies' favourites to back. 

I dont know if i can handle watching it. I am so nervous for all the teams, not just Blighty

28 minutes ago, EmMac said:

I dont know if i can handle watching it. I am so nervous for all the teams, not just Blighty

If you endured watching us for the past two seasons....watching the rest of the world cup is a piece of cake...lol

10 minutes ago, sonar said:

If you endured watching us for the past two seasons....watching the rest of the world cup is a piece of cake...lol

True, but it being off season, I'm outta practice

Loving your Croatia avatar, it looks exactly like that. Was lucky enough to visit there last September. Best tomatoes I've ever had (that i can remember)

Still going for Blighty tho

2 hours ago, wendybr said:

PS Just listening to ABC News... Pommies are firming as Aussies' favourites to back. 

Throw your support behind a country that sent your 13 year old decendants to the other end of the world for stealing a loaf of bread or potato so they could build roads and sandstone cottages with their hands whilst in chains and starved. Where do I sign up. ;P

32 minutes ago, Burgerman said:

I hope there won't be any rioting in England if they lose as already lots like riots with them winning.

Emotions running very high in England......people from say Italian backgrounds and so on may say they get it, but not sure they do, it is massive, really really massive, unless you have been in England for a major tournament, unless you were there in 86, 90 or Euro 96 you just wont get it, the whole country stopped on Saturday afternoon, roads and carparks empty. My sister who HATES football, never watches it got involved, had a BBQ and people around to watch, over 20million tuned in to watch, and that doesn't count all those packed in to the live events. What you have seen is nothing compared to what it would be like if England won, everyone would be on the streets.

For the Euro 96 semi final I was in a pub near the railway station in York. As soon as Southgate missed beer glasses were flying all over and we made a quick exit, lots of shouting on the streets and police car sirens going off.

The weather is red hot and has been for weeks, the beer is flowing and emotions running very high, win or lose unfortunately there is no easy way out of this in regards behaviour....

Edited by Smoggy

5 minutes ago, ZachMercer said:

Throw your support behind a country that sent your 13 year old decendants to the other end of the world for stealing a loaf of bread or potato so they could build roads and sandstone cottages with their hands whilst in chains and starved. Where do I sign up. ;P

lol my mothers family who were irish had their land taken from them by the English and left to starve.....left Ireland looking for work. They became lapsed Catholics and joined the Church of England and the McT's became the biggest England supporters I know, my Grandad would be loving this.........but nahhh lets all bugger around with chips on shoulders regarding something that happened 200 years ago :D

Edited by Smoggy

I agree that you shouldn't have chips on your shoulder on an individual basis, i'm sure we all have very nice English friends, not to mention all you English forumites. But the reality is because of England's history there are A LOT of countries around the world who will always want them to lose. Like Zach, I've never understood why Australians (or Indians, where I grew up) would support England in anything. That said, people choose to be passionate about football teams for all sorts of reasons and who are we to deny them that thrill.

Sadly I agree with btron's assessment of the game, in fact I'd put it at 70-30 England. Croatia looked absolutely ****ed at the end of the Russia game, and I'm sure a few of them are carrying knocks. England's pace will worry them. If Croatia had a decent striker I'd still fancy them but Mandzukic looked like he was ready to retire from about the second half onwards. Still, one thing about Croatia, they don't go down without a fight. It'll be close but all the external factors are in favour of England.

The other semi has potential to be one of the great games. If any team wins that in 90 mins, I can't see them not winning the final barring some really bad luck. The only hope for Croatia/England is that whoever wins the other game goes through a gruelling 120 minute battle and loses a couple players.

50 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

lol my mothers family who were irish had their land taken from them by the English and left to starve.....left Ireland looking for work. They became lapsed Catholics and joined the Church of England and the McT's became the biggest England supporters I know, my Grandad would be loving this.........but nahhh lets all bugger around with chips on shoulders regarding something that happened 200 years ago :D

Just having a good old stir. All in good fun. ;)

<sigh> I am getting too stressed lol I knew I would,......time for a break and to retreat to the fmttm Boro forum for a bit...see you on the other side of the semi finals :)

On the other side??

Nooooo!

14 hours ago, Smoggy said:

The weather is red hot and has been for weeks, the beer is flowing and emotions running very high, win or lose unfortunately there is no easy way out of this in regards behaviour....

The problem here is, you haven't got anywhere left to put these convicts.

No matter the result, England's fans will ruin everything.

Belgium out.....as good as France were with the pace, flicks n tricks if your were a Belgium supporter you would be pretty disappointed with that second half. Did they really have a go...did their big players that you need to stand up at times like this really stand up...not really.

All credit to France who will go on to win the WC, deserved winners but piss weak from Belgiums 'golden generation', i expected more from them, gone out with a bit of a whimper and they will NEVER have a better chance to win the cup.

Even if England go out tomorrow i hope there is a bit more fight.

Edited by Smoggy

What a write up, catches the mood so perfectly......best I have seen yet and unbiased enough that perhaps it might resonate here a little also -  https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44785165

Football is sold to the world as fun. As colour, as sunshine, as joy. Football is sold as winning.

Football is experienced as doubt. Football is watched feeling sick. It is wishing matches finished, wanting to walk out of a stadium even as you've been desperate to be there, being convinced that the most heartbreaking possible scenario is the most likely thing to pass.

And usually it does. Football is about losing. Only one team can win a league. Thirty two teams went to the World Cup; thirty one will go home wondering what if.

The idea England might be the exception both to that rule and to a torturous history of defeat, pain and regrets still feels extraordinary. It also feels dangerous, because while football is also about being powerless to prevent something awful happening to something that matters to you so much, it is equally about being convinced that even a thought or stray sentence could instantly summon disaster.

Any neutral watching England 2-0 up against Sweden could tell they were not going to lose. Many England fans were convinced that remarking "we're the better team here" to the person next to them would be to guarantee an immediate Swedish goal.

It is why being 1-0 down can often be more relaxing than being 1-0 up. What's the worst that can happen now the worst thing is already happening?

And so you lie to yourself. We're just going to enjoy the occasion. It's only sport. I didn't expect us to win anyway.

You tuck yourself behind established beliefs. England are an embarrassment at big tournaments. England don't win penalty shootouts. English footballers are spoiled, selfish and out of touch with those who help fund their crazy wages.

Hope is a delusion. Dreaming is for night-time. Football is disappointment.

You know all this is true. You also know what football can do for you. It makes you leap around and grab your friends around the neck and roar at each other's faces from inches away. It makes you jump on the back of strangers. It makes you feel the same way at exactly the same time as millions of people you will never meet.

You stay with football because of the possibility of all this. You keep daydreaming because of the little part of you that doesn't consider this a dream at all. You tell other people not to look beyond the next game and then do exactly that.

Because football can change. You miss a penalty and then the other team miss two. You go further into a tournament than you have in more than a quarter of a century and look up to see the big boys all gone. You listen to the players and read their social media and you find yourself seeing shared characteristics and people you like.

And when football changes, we change with it. From shouting at defenders to get rid of it, to lump it long when the press comes on, to contentedly watching them keep hold and play it out. From worrying which unheralded opposition player will be the bogeyman this time to relishing the world waking up to Kieran Trippier and Harry Maguire. From avoiding deathless England friendlies and their endless substitutions and meaningless results to wishing the next game was here now and being able to name Gareth Southgate's first-choice team in a single breath.

One of the few lasting bequests of London 2012, a sporting carnival where too many big races now have asterisks next to them, was that sense - for a nation that spends so much time reflexively looking backwards - of a vision of modern Britain that felt simultaneously new and familiar to every one of us.

It was there in the stories of the three stars of Super Saturday: Jessica Ennis-Hill, a mixed-race girl from Sheffield; Greg Rutherford, a lad whose great-grandfather played football for England over a century ago; Mo Farah, a boy who arrived in west London aged eight from east Africa to make the capital his home.

This is an England team that represents the England of 2018. The pale kid from Sunderland in goal, a midfielder from Milton Keynes with a Nigerian dad and English mum. Three big lads from south Yorkshire in defence, a striker born in Jamaica and raised in the scruffy part of west London. Another midfielder schooled in Lisbon, a superstar captain who learned on loan at Orient and Millwall.

There is an unreality to it all. A frozen, sodden winter when the rain never stopped, a summer that started early and lit up everything for weeks. Sunlit mornings, evenings watching football with the windows and doors open and daylight in the sky until all the celebrating is done. A team beaten by a nation of 330,000 at their last big tournament, gone after the group stages at the previous World Cup, careering into the semi-finals and enjoying every moment of it.

There are limitless reasons to fall out of love with football. The idiots you know even in the home end at your own club, the jingoism that snarls in the slipstream of national success. The price of shirts, the price of tickets, the booking fee for something bought in a microsecond from an automated page. The multiple satellite packages, the kick-offs before lunch and after Sunday tea-time, the money going to middlemen in a deal that didn't need them.

Then you think of the adrenalised peaks and emotional releases of the past three weeks, the scenes in front of big screens around the country, the pleasure of seeing your happiness reflected in the faces and moods of people you have almost nothing else in common with.

Only football can do this. England winning the rugby union World Cup brought enormous pleasure to vast numbers, the home Ashes triumph of 2005 giddy disbelief to those who had long grown used to Australian domination.

Yet neither touched as many distant corners as this World Cup. The peak television audience for the deeds of Michael Vaughan's team was 8.4 million; 15 million saw Jonny Wilkinson drop his goal. Andy Murray's first Wimbledon victory brought in 17.3m, and that was a win for Great Britain.

England's last-16 win over Colombia peaked at 23.6 million. Wednesday night's semi-final is likely to draw in yet more.

And you don't want any of it to end. Football is going to revert to type for two of the teams still left in this World Cup. It will go back to being about regret and dejection and what might have been.

For one team it will be something else. Colour, sunshine, joy.

Maybe it will all end here. Maybe, this once, it will not.

Edited by Smoggy

Does anyone else see shades of Mbappe in Jaushua Sotirio? Just putting it out there (Ducks for cover!).

6 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

Does anyone else see shades of Mbappe in Jaushua Sotirio? Just putting it out there (Ducks for cover!).

You've lost your mind.

On 09/07/2018 at 11:06 PM, luisenrique said:

Like Zach, I've never understood why Australians (or Indians, where I grew up) would support England in anything. That said, people choose to be passionate about football teams for all sorts of reasons and who are we to deny them that thrill.

5 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Belgium out.....as good as France were with the pace, flicks n tricks if your were a Belgium supporter you would be pretty disappointed with that second half. Did they really have a go...did their big players that you need to stand up at times like this really stand up...not really.

All credit to France who will go on to win the WC, deserved winners but piss weak from Belgiums 'golden generation', i expected more from them, gone out with a bit of a whimper and they will NEVER have a better chance to win the cup.

Even if England go out tomorrow i hope there is a bit more fight.

I think credit has to be given to Pogba and Kante defensive efforts, they did what the entire Brazilian team failed to do and that was stop link plays with Lukaku, Hazard and De Bruyne. Evened out the game for them which ended up being a grind

On 07/07/2018 at 12:13 PM, StringerBellend said:

It was the tactical genius that is Bobby Brownshoes we should never have sacked him, especially for Koeman

He will win the World Cup by the power of His positivity 

Yeah, nah. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-11/belgium-falls-short-familiar-fine-margins-thwart-martinez-again/9978514

13 hours ago, LeeMarvin said:

This is my favourite post ever.

16 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I don't get it?

"Australian"??

Following the footnote, basically, it depends on whether people who are immigrants/descendents consider themselves "Australian" or not.

This attempt to get Australians to nominate their ancestry showed that over 46 per cent classed themselves as 'Anglo-Celtic', including a considerable number of English, Irish and Scottish mix. To these might be added most who called themselves simply 'Australian'. This gives an 'Anglo-Australian' total of about two-thirds of the population. One mystery in the figures is the low percentage prepared to call themselves Irish or Scottish. It is probable that many of these preferred to be Australian, as calculations by Dr Charles Price, the leading expert in ethnic composition, estimated that 17 per cent of the population were of Irish and 12 per cent of Scottish descent in 1988. The figures for other ancestries, including small groups, were much closer to Dr Price's estimates. It seems from the 1986 figures that Australians of British or Irish descent, who make up by far the largest component of the population, do not attach much significance to their ancestry, while those from non-British minorities are more precise.

http://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/abs@.nsf/94713ad445ff1425ca25682000192af2/49f609c83cf34d69ca2569de0025c182!OpenDocument

Good luck all you English and Croatian WSW supporters (and non-WSW supporters too I suppose). Looking forward to a cracking match. I just hope it’s decided by some football brilliance rather than some cheap controversy. 

And Remember, it’s not going mental if you don’t break something. :D