World Cup 2018

mack

6 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

Didn't watch the game - but what do you mean by reverting back to Ange ball?

Is it like a back three or like pumping the ball long or is it like suicidal runs up the field by defensive players 

I mean constant ball recycling. Ball goes to LB or DM or RB from CB and then send it straight back to the CB or GK. Alternative CB to other CB. That's what i call Ange-ball.

The Roos played Bert-ball in the half

5 hours ago, FCWanderers said:

What is our best lineup ....... for the match against France? Will the coach be able to solidify the defence in 6 days? 

I will look forward to the insightful starting line-ups  you guys propose here.

In particular...for how you'd  use Arzani...and Super Tim. I didn't see enough of the game to see when Timmy  came on, or how he performed.

5 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Goal by Arzani was down to a goalkeeping error on speculator.

Own goal by Sainsbury down to 4 years with Ryan for most game.

Third goal was another speculator probably because Cahill was positioning himself to score a tap in and the defender probably got a call on it.

Zelic was on about positioning for Riso. I just think the winger was too quick.

Worst part was, when under pressure, reverted back to Ange-ball. In the second half Bert must have kicked their backsides about playing Ange-ball. Still its a win but a f***** scrappy one.

Risdon had a terrible match. Got caught out and beaten time and again. The Hungarian winger was quick and skillful and was one of their best.

Tbh, Hungary were the better side for the best part. Arzani showed enough to suggest he will get game time in Russia. It was his through ball that led to the own goal by Hungary at the end and he had some some silky touches on the ball. 

Agree about the Ange ball bit and we looked flat....a bit slow...and unsure. Hopefully that poor game is not how we play against France. My heart says "Go the Socceroos you can cause an upset".....my head says France will beat us and it will be up to how we play and what results we get against Denmark and Peru that will decide our fate.

24 minutes ago, sonar said:

Risdon had a terrible match. Got caught out and beaten time and again. The Hungarian winger was quick and skillful and was one of their best.

Tbh, Hungary were the better side for the best part. Arzani showed enough to suggest he will get game time in Russia. It was his through ball that led to the own goal by Hungary at the end and he had some some silky touches on the ball. 

Agree about the Ange ball bit and we looked flat....a bit slow...and unsure. Hopefully that poor game is not how we play against France. My heart says "Go the Socceroos you can cause an upset".....my head says France will beat us and it will be up to how we play and what results we get against Denmark and Peru that will decide our fate.

Sweden-Peru 0-0

Denmark-Mexico 2-0

France-USA 1-1

read Bert’s post-match comments.

2 hours ago, Paul01 said:

I mean constant ball recycling. Ball goes to LB or DM or RB from CB and then send it straight back to the CB or GK. Alternative CB to other CB. That's what i call Ange-ball.

The Roos played Bert-ball in the half

Sounds very similar to Popa-ball

Arzani is god

But I wouldn't start him against France. Save him for the second half, then start him against Denmark and Peru, games we are more likely to win.

For France I would go Ryan, Risdon, Sainsbury, Milligan (sigh), Behich, Jedi, Mooy Luongo, Kruse (sigh) Leckie Nabbout

Rogic and Arzani to come on the last half hour when they should be playing against more tired legs. Rogic is too unreliable to start against a team like France where you can't afford to give he ball away. Arzani has never started an international so as amazing as his cameo was, we don't want him to get bullied early on by the French and lose confidence. Then bring Cahilltex on with about 10 mins left.

That said if Arzani started I'd be pretty excited.

France have a scary looking team but I watched the 2nd half against USA (a virtual youth team btw), and they can easily be frustrated if you have a well organised defence. This would have been impossible against Ange but we have a chance now. The most important thing is to keep them scoreless in the first half, then they will start to panic. We want to be within touching distance of the game when we bring Rogic and Arzani on. 

5 hours ago, luisenrique said:

France have a scary looking team but I watched the 2nd half against USA (a virtual youth team btw), and they can easily be frustrated if you have a well organised defence. This would have been impossible against Ange but we have a chance now. The most important thing is to keep them scoreless in the first half, then they will start to panic. We want to be within touching distance of the game when we bring Rogic and Arzani on. 

Agree with your whole post.

Re: defence, my concern is our lapses in both warm up games which will be rightly punished by better opposition. That, and the fact that we've taken so long to get into our groove in games. If we switch off like this against France we'll really be up **** creek.

8 hours ago, luisenrique said:

Arzani is god

But I wouldn't start him against France. Save him for the second half, then start him against Denmark and Peru, games we are more likely to win.

For France I would go Ryan, Risdon, Sainsbury, Milligan (sigh), Behich, Jedi, Mooy Luongo, Kruse (sigh) Leckie Nabbout

Rogic and Arzani to come on the last half hour when they should be playing against more tired legs. Rogic is too unreliable to start against a team like France where you can't afford to give he ball away. Arzani has never started an international so as amazing as his cameo was, we don't want him to get bullied early on by the French and lose confidence. Then bring Cahilltex on with about 10 mins left.

That said if Arzani started I'd be pretty excited.

I think most would agree with this - it's spot on IMHO...except...if you're going to bring on Timmy (and he becomes Timmy again now....because...well... he has been a legend for us and we shouldn't put **** on him if he's playing for us in the WC) should he get a little longer to see if he still can manage a little magic ...one last time???

3 hours ago, hawks2767 said:

How in the actual **** have more WC tickets been sold to Australians than English ?

A few factors...

Memories of the kickings English fans took in Marseilles in 2016 at the hands of the Russian hools. This wasn't some drunken idiots chucking a few plastic chairs around and fronting up. It was fully tooled up, savage and organised Russian violence. Due to England's 'reputation' they are seen as the benchmark for any aspiring idiots to take on...an easy target..also a good chance the England fans will get the blame. England fans expect trouble and so many are keeping away.

The feeling going in to this world cup for England is like no other I can remember. There is no hype or expectation as for once everyone seems to understand it is a very young and inexperienced side that will not challenge to win the thing. Usually there is stupid hype and unrealistic expectations in the papers, this time there is non of that. It is all a bit 'meh' really.

9 hours ago, wendybr said:

I think most would agree with this - it's spot on IMHO...except...if you're going to bring on Timmy (and he becomes Timmy again now....because...well... he has been a legend for us and we shouldn't put **** on him if he's playing for us in the WC) should he get a little longer to see if he still can manage a little magic ...one last time???

I just think that when he's not getting on the end of a cross, Timmy doesn't really have it in him to keep with the pace of the game for much longer than 10 mins. It's a risk playing him for much longer imo because he doesn't have the legs. But yeah I'd accept 15 mins.

Re: Kruse, I lost patience with him a long time ago, but who else is there apart from Arzani? Petratos but he didn't play in the last game. I wouldn't mind if he started but Kruse is more used to playing against the kind of quality France has.

22 hours ago, Paul01 said:

The NPL2 men’s game is still scheduled for a 7:00pm start. 

this means that the Roos game starts while NPL2 men’s game is still running.

Looks like Football NSW are moving the the u18s/20s/senior games from Saturday afternoon to Sunday.

They are showing the game this Sat on a big screen at our local shopping centre.

The wife announces we should go over as the atmosphere might be good, she even announces she could wear ' herAustralian gear'.....to that she means her ******* Wallabies top and scarf ffs lol

I was going to explain to her why this is so shyte but i have been trying to train her up regarding football for 20 years without much progress.....

**** it...i just give up lol

8 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

They are showing the game this Sat on a big screen at our local shopping centre.

The wife announces we should go over as the atmosphere might be good, she even announces she could wear ' herAustralian gear'.....to that she means her ******* Wallabies top and scarf ffs lol

I was going to explain to her why this is so shyte but i have been trying to train her up regarding football for 20 years without much progress.....

**** it...i just give up lol

FYI I bought the 2015 socceroos jersey (which is my favourite so far) for $40 from rebel. It's subtle, and you could almost convince her its a non-specific australian sport themed top. 

On 11 June 2018 at 8:34 PM, Smoggy said:

A few factors...

Memories of the kickings English fans took in Marseilles in 2016 at the hands of the Russian hools. This wasn't some drunken idiots chucking a few plastic chairs around and fronting up. It was fully tooled up, savage and organised Russian violence. Due to England's 'reputation' they are seen as the benchmark for any aspiring idiots to take on...an easy target..also a good chance the England fans will get the blame. England fans expect trouble and so many are keeping away.

The feeling going in to this world cup for England is like no other I can remember. There is no hype or expectation as for once everyone seems to understand it is a very young and inexperienced side that will not challenge to win the thing. Usually there is stupid hype and unrealistic expectations in the papers, this time there is non of that. It is all a bit 'meh' really.

Sounds like the perfect opportunity for Australian Ultras to kick the crap out of the Russians and establish ourselves as the worst of the worst heh (yes I know there is no such thing).

I did read a comment the other day that the UK should bid for the next WC and hold all Russian matches at The Den.

Edited by hawks2767
  • mack unpinned this topic