Adelaide United vs Western Sydney Wanderers 26/11/2017 7:00PM

4 minutes ago, mack said:

Will Beath and the assistants get next week or two off for:

1) Missing the rugby tackle on Riera.

2) Either missing the Cornthwaite handball entirely, or missing that it was deliberate.

3) Missing the offside on the Adelaide goal.

4) Missing a straight red offence.

No

Just now, WestSyd said:

The problem with that system was that our fullbacks were always exposed, and teams got behind us on the wings. Best thing to do is get actual good wingers.

Exactly. Although you're changing the argument. 

Back to the point... You come into an established squad, you don't blindly implement your preferred formation/system. You need to work with what you have, especially in a salary capped league. 

Shoehorning two of the most average players into two crucial roles is not smart. 

4 minutes ago, matty said:

Back to the point... You come into an established squad, you don't blindly implement your preferred formation/system. You need to work with what you have, especially in a salary capped league. 

Shoehorning two of the most average players into two crucial roles is not smart. 

Maybe use Cejudo and Bridge as wingers - who knows they might go alright

1 minute ago, matty said:

Well he needs to judge what the players can do. 

Sure he’s been in Australia for a while, but he has work out if these players are capable of playing a role in a system he eventually wants to implement.

1 minute ago, matty said:

Hehe, cute. If you don't understand my point and the difference between (and different skills required) for the way Popa implemented wingers as compared to Gombau, just don't reply :good:

My point is they werent good enough before Gombau

Just now, Legionista said:

Well he needs to judge what the players can do. 

Sure he’s been in Australia for a while, but he has work out if these players are capable of playing a role in a system he eventually wants to implement.

Of course, I'm just surprised he wouldn't have a better idea. He's seen heaps of our games, surely enough to know Sotirio can't beat a man or cross, both vital for playing a more traditional wing role. He's worked with him for Australia too. 

Anyway, nothing against Gombau, I really like the guy, just puzzling and worrying. 

3 minutes ago, matty said:

Of course, I'm just surprised he wouldn't have a better idea. He's seen heaps of our games, surely enough to know Sotirio can't beat a man or cross, both vital for playing a more traditional wing role. He's worked with him for Australia too. 

Anyway, nothing against Gombau, I really like the guy, just puzzling and worrying. 

Maybe he just doesn’t think we’ve got any better options.

This season was a write off the moment Popa left. Now it seems like a guinea pig season with Gombau implementing his style or whatever.

No doubt for weeks to come you’ll be hearing “we’re still learning Gombaus structure” which is true, just incredibly frustrating for everybody after what started off looking like a promising season. 

Back to the graveyard next week. 

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic