Roar Loss Extends Winless Streak To 7

Josep Gombau's first home game as official Wanderers manager resulted in a dismal 2-0 loss to a clinical Brisbane Roar at a dreary, rain soaked Olympic stadium at Homebush tonight.

After a day of pouring rain & storms and with their side unable to win in the last 6 game it was only the diehards who showed up in Homebush. They should have been rewarded with a goal from marquee Oriol Riera after just 5 minutes. Raul Llorente attacked down the left flank and crossed a wonderful ball to the 6 yard box at the near post. Riera met it strongly with a bullet header that flew well wide. 10 minutes later he blasted a 20 yard effort wide, and it was to be the last action for the striker and may have been the causal factor for his substitution not long after with a hamstring strain. The injury toll doubled in the 35th minute with winger Jaushua Sotirio limping off the field with another probable hamstring injury.

The Wanderers attack was another in a long line of games of shuffling sideways & backwards with no penetration, and with their first shot on target Brisbane Roar punished the home side to take the lead. With the Wanderers unable to clear their lines, Eric Bautheac nodded the ball down to the advantage of Massimo Maccarone who swivelled and laced a left foot half-volley past Janjetovic.

Ivan Franjic took advantage of static defending to score a goal with his first touch of the evening. The substitute defender cut back on his left foot & shot a curling strike back across goal, arcing over the outstretched hand of Janjetovic and dropping into the side netting. Defenders Llorente & Jack Clisby were caught cold, static & did little but watch him aim up on goal.

Western Sydney were toothless in attack, sitting back with no urgency, passing sideways & backwards over and over again. The 56% to 44% possession advantage meant little when the home side only managed 3 shots on target and conceded two goals with the only two shots their opposition put on target. Josep Gombau has a lot of work to do to salvage the season, and with the 2nd Sydney Derby coming up the Wanderers could be inching close to a double digit number of games without a win and losing touch with the top 6.

View full article

My highlight of the night was the small crowd - it meant I had no issues accessing the 4g network and all the diversions the internet has to offer.

Next week won't be fun - hopeless football, Carney being Carney and a large enough crowd to make internet surfing a pain. It's entirely possible the only highlight will be booing Arnold before the game.

Didn't see the game tonight. But judging by some of the comments, the whole vibe feels extremely toxic. I could accept season 3 because we had just won the ACL. It was the reward for a bad season. But hearing the result tonight, it feels like we are in a deep hole and the feeling is that of nothing but emptiness.

12 minutes ago, WestSyd said:

Didn't see the game tonight. But judging by some of the comments, the whole vibe feels extremely toxic. I could accept season 3 because we had just won the ACL. It was the reward for a bad season. But hearing the result tonight, it feels like we are in a deep hole and the feeling is that of nothing but emptiness.

RBB wasn't toxic, more just resigned to the situation especially after Riera missed his chance then we had two injuries. At halftime I don't think anyone thought we'd comeback.

On the bright side January is fast approaching my challenge is to Joseph let me do your Christmas shopping 100k and all expenses I’ll be the best wsw scout you can find all from playing FIFA 

Edited by JayZko
1 minute ago, mack said:

RBB wasn't toxic, more just resigned to the situation especially after Riera missed his chance then we had two injuries. At halftime I don't think anyone thought we'd comeback.

Didn't say RBB was toxic. Just the vibe, as in the way some people feel ripped off about how they made an effort to go to the game, and the players didn't seem to put in or give a ****.

After last week's game I decided not to go to this game...not because we lost (as a hammers fam I am well used to that) but because the VAR is ruining the game.

Before the game I felt guilty but now I'm happy I didn't. It's easy to blame the VAR, referee, homebush or even the white kit but really the team is to blame. No will, no urgency no idea.

I will go next week but this is going to be a hard week.....the anticipation of getting embarrassed and slaughtered by the Smurfs is not something to look forward to

I don't see us coming good till January v Victory. The atmosphere in house is probably combustible till G starts winning over the troops to his style of play. Felt like English third division game with poor quality small crowd & rain. At least we're not fashionable albeit Derbies and till then diehards keep this ship afloat. 

Edited by DamnedUnited
5 minutes ago, DamnedUnited said:

I don't see us coming good till January v Victory. The atmosphere in house is probably combustible till G starts winning over the troops to his style of play. Felt like English third division game with poor quality small crowd & rain. At least we're not fashionable albeit Derbies and till then diehards keep this ship afloat. 

I thought 4th division during the game, except for it being in a giant stadium.

Been lurking here for a long time but had to make an account to express my view on this season. I honestly believe we could claim our first wooden spoon this season. We look like the worst team in the league by a mile right now. We have successfully played the two teams that did look worse then us (Roar, Victory) into form and now we reap our just rewards with the slide down the table.

We actually look worse then we did last season! 14/15 was bad but I still enjoyed going to the games & watching us because I knew the ACL & Club world cup fixture congestion was what was killing us, the winning mentality amongst the squad & backroom staff was still there!

This year I'm actually depressed, frustrated & no longer bothered to attend games or even flick it on the telly because the squad as a whole look bereft of confidence and passion to win. Every single time we have conceded an equaliser or gone behind this year we have NEVER looked like coming back. Speaks volumes about the state the club is in. I really hoped Gombau would steady the ship but his 3 games in charge have been terrible, actually looked worse then when we were treading water with Foxe.

Surely I'm not the only one here that thinks we're a very realistic proposition for 10th this year, I just don't see where the improvement is going to come from within the squad. Also looked like Riera just had another dummy spit & faked his injury today because he doesn't want to play for Gombau which is a shame because he started so well...

Edited by mack
added some spacebar

Sad that you felt compelled to find your voice here under these circumstances Matto. 

Like everyone else, I don't know what can be done to turn things around this season. It's a combination of contributing factors, no doubt that's got us here...and it will take a combination of factors to pick things up and reverse out fortunes...whenever that might occur.

We all knew losing Parra was going to hit us hard...I didn't realize how hard.

About the only comfort I can find atm is that this little community is still here and we share the same feelings.

:(:(

My biggest pet peeve is how useless Bonevacia & Cejudo have been. The two killer signings of the pre-season for us IMO and they have literally done nothing since round 1. Simply not good enough for 2 of our prime creators. At first I thought the issue with Roly was being up at 10 but even moved into his more natural deeper role he still stinks up the joint & Cejudo is now being played out of position in midfield when he's been a winger literally his entire career so I sadly believe we won't be seeing much more from him if Gombau wants to keep persevering with that. Idk what will drag the club out of the hole it's in but it's obvious for this fabled attacking system Gombau wants to play we need yet another squad makeover to use it, sigh...

13 minutes ago, Matto97 said:

My biggest pet peeve is how useless Bonevacia & Cejudo have been. The two killer signings of the pre-season for us IMO and they have literally done nothing since round 1. Simply not good enough for 2 of our prime creators. At first I thought the issue with Roly was being up at 10 but even moved into his more natural deeper role he still stinks up the joint & Cejudo is now being played out of position in midfield when he's been a winger literally his entire career so I sadly believe we won't be seeing much more from him if Gombau wants to keep persevering with that. Idk what will drag the club out of the hole it's in but it's obvious for this fabled attacking system Gombau wants to play we need yet another squad makeover to use it, sigh...

Gambou loves Sotirio, nuff said....

Also has Jumpei got to that stage now where people just don't ******* care anymore lol Had one of his worst outings today and that is coming from a very low starting base already.

Edited by WSWBoro

I think my biggest pet peeve is seeing players I still think of as our players :(playing all over the A League...for other clubs.

Just in the last 24 hours...Bouzanis (who had a blinder for Newcastle tonight),  Jamo, NTS,  LaRoca.

I know I'm living in the past...but but ...I have struggled to connect to virtually a new team every season. And I envy those where there is continuity.

Just one.  of many issues of course. :( 

Meh. Not too fussed or overly concerned about how **** we are right now tbh. The season to me was a write off the moment Popa jumped ship a week out from round 1.

Having no home ground advantage, absolutely no atmosphere, getting shafted around SOP,  coach leaving a week out from the start of the season and a new coach coming in completely changing tactics and formations are all contributing factors.

It’s just a shame about the timing of everything really, especially after what seemed to be a really promising pre season. 

Club is going through transition.  

Edited by xxBrandonxx
14 minutes ago, xxBrandonxx said:

Having no home ground advantage, absolutely no atmosphere, getting shafted around SOP

We're getting a practical lesson in the issue that the Brisbane Roar and the likes of Wellington suffer by putting small crowds into huge stadiums.

Our crowd tonight was listed at 8215, which is just under 10% of the total capacity, and that number was highly suspect, everyone around laughed when that came up.

I looked up some of our first season games, our first ever home win, 2-1 vs Melbourne Heart in Round 5, it was actually a smaller crowd (8075), I looked at the video file and the difference in the atmosphere is massive. Sure that was a winning game, but everyone was closer to the pitch, the 'core' RBB was probably roughly the same size (the 3 central bays at Parra was 1100 seats) but looked a lot bigger because there were GA fans next to it, whereas at ANZ everyone is spread out and can take an entire row (or bay in some ares) to themselves.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic