Squad Development 2017/18 Part 2

38 minutes ago, mack said:

Having a look at our database of players, contracts & extensions seem to be in one of a few categories:

1) Extensions for first team players are usually signed between mid-December to mid-January (Poljak, Covic, Haliti's 2nd extension, Cole)
2) Occasionally players are signed to long-term extensions around September after signing a new contract in December/January the season before (Poljak again)
3) Players who come to the club on 1 or 2 year deals but don't stay longer (Nichols, Bouzanis) and those who got extensions but we let go (NTS, Covic)
4) Players outside the first team squad who we were probably looking to replace but didn't find anyone, getting a new contract in May after the season ends (Haliti's first extension, Trifiro)

I don't believe the club have announced any extensions at all which might be a symptom of Gombau's late arrival and our inconsistent form.

From that list:

Out:
Cejudo - Utter flop. Turns 34 in a couple weeks. Not a Gombau signing. Marquee. He would need a massive turnaround to deserve another year. Assuming he doesn't just retire outright.
Thwaite - Gombau will want younger defenders more comfortable on the ball. He'll be 35 years old when the new season starts. Out of the two Thwaites he's the one I think Gombau would retain if he keeps 1 of them.
Cornthwaite - Same deal as with Thwaite.
Tyson - His 2nd stint has basically copied the first one. A major injury and not really impressing even in the youth league, with few chances as the first choice keeper stays healthy.
Hamill - Gombau surely recognises his inability to defend and his mediocre technical ability on the ball. Surely.
Lustica - If he stays I'm pretty sure it'll only be a Trifiro style end of the season extension. Hasn't done enough so far to earn a mid-season extension.

And to stay:
Santalab - Unless he wants to retire I can't see the club not offering him a new deal.
Clisby - Stay. I think he's done enough to get a spot.
Carrusca - He's not a foreign player any more, if he doesn't want a huge contract then we might give him another year.
Aspro - If he had a really good season he'd probably be going overseas, but now we might offer a 2 or 3 year deal and let Gombau keep working to improve him.
Llorente - Had a good season so far, done well at both right & left fullback, not a marquee. I can easily see him staying another year.
Vedran - I don't think the market for keepers is particularly great at the moment. The only real potential signing is Lawrence Thomas from Victory.

We would need to sign at least 2 central defenders and 2 wingers. We might upgrade Suman to a first team contract and I think we would have 1 spot left which might go to another central midfielder.

Apparently, Young has been told to wait for a contract at the Roar. And has Hall been told to stay in Sydney (hence signing at Sydney United).

i reckon of the two CBs, Cornthwaite will not be re-signed. If Elsey is signed, then Hamill is gone.

rather see Llorente at LB than Clisby. There are rumours we are scouting Corey Brown.

12 minutes ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

I'd take brown and Elsey brown was roar player of the season last season I believe but got a knee injury which kept him out for half of this season but quality full back and definatly rate Elsey who I believe would dominate here at western Sydney but yeah I think out of corny and Thwaite Thwaite will most likely get another contract as gombau says everyone is playing for a contract extension and Thwaites been excellent and has been our best CB and most consistent so I expect big things to happen also for wingers I'd go for either Rojas or borrello if we go Aussie wingers both not getting game time in Europe 

Borello is playing regularly for K'lautern in BL2. Rojas is from NZ.

13 minutes ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

expect big things to happen also for wingers I'd go for either Rojas or borrello if we go Aussie wingers both not getting game time in Europe 

Rojas is not an Aussie and would take up a Visa spot. Unfortunately for us, Borello has become a starting player at his club.

32 minutes ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

I'd take brown and Elsey brown was roar player of the season last season I believe but got a knee injury which kept him out for half of this season but quality full back and definatly rate Elsey who I believe would dominate here at western Sydney but yeah I think out of corny and Thwaite Thwaite will most likely get another contract as gombau says everyone is playing for a contract extension and Thwaites been excellent and has been our best CB and most consistent so I expect big things to happen also for wingers I'd go for either Rojas or borrello if we go Aussie wingers both not getting game time in Europe 

“Excellent” Are we watching the same Thwaite?  The one I have been watching misplaces hits passes, plays thru balls to nobody and is part of a defence that is unable to defend set pieces 

He’s been ok at best, and is definitely not what we need if we want to play gombau philosophical football 

Edited by StringerBellend
38 minutes ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

So Rojas is kiwi he's father is Chilean and he was one of victorys best players last season and he's not getting any game time at that Dutch club so I'd snap him up

As a Kiwi he takes a foreign spot in our squad (the only exception is if he plays for Wellington). If we sign him he needs to be better than a foreigner we can get from somewhere else (who may be better, or as good, and (more importantly) cheaper).

20 minutes ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

Hey guys so Ray gate said on Twitter hearing Fabio Ferreira to Melbourne city so I don't think he's coming to west Sydney as people may have forgot that he had a dust up with gombau at Adelaide so right now we're leaning over towards lass bangoura thoughts?

I wish I was wrong, but I cant see us picking up Lass. Seen a clip with him causing Pique a world of trouble (even though that's from a few years ago but that said Pique's been pretty good for a few years). We're talking about somone that would outclass and outpace someone like mitch austin. He's either a) trouble b) too expensive or c) slumped. Happy to be proven wrong.

27 minutes ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

Never say never, because who knew popa was going to leave it was unusual at first but maybe it's a sign of big things to come maybe everything was meant to happen like winning acl in the shithole Saudi Arabia is or getting into three grand finals so even tho this guy may cost us a fortune we never know because maybe we'll go all out on lass or maybe Rayo vallecano will give him to us on loan who knows gombau may even persuade him to come to Australia I have a feeling we will sign him I just got in my gut 

Reveal hidden contents

:cheeky:

Apparently, a right winger loaned to Rayo last season from Besitas is no longer wanted. He is the 27 year old Armenian international Aras Ozbilis. Might be an option instead.

Everyone can cross Cahill off the list. 

Apparently off to Millwall (again).

as far as the Armenian is concerned, he only came up when I was trolling Rayo Vallecano for news AND we are in the market for a winger.

Western Sydney Wanderers captain Robert Cornthwaite has left the club and is expected to officially sign with Malaysian club Perak FA imminently.

The Covert Agent can reveal Cornthwaite, who was absent from the last Wanderers matchday squad on January 13, has been sighted training with the Malaysian club over the past few days.

It is understood Wanderers coach Josep Gombau deemed Cornthwaite surplus to requirements soon after taking over the club from caretaker Hayden Foxe.

35 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

He was absent from the matchday squad last weekend because he was suspended !! So will it be Thwaite/Clisby in the centre of defence on Friday night?

This is the Covert Agent you're talking about...from Goal.

They don't do fact checking, or any checking.

40 minutes ago, Johnno said:

Western Sydney Wanderers captain Robert Cornthwaite has left the club and is expected to officially sign with Malaysian club Perak FA imminently.

The Covert Agent can reveal Cornthwaite, who was absent from the last Wanderers matchday squad on January 13, has been sighted training with the Malaysian club over the past few days.

It is understood Wanderers coach Josep Gombau deemed Cornthwaite surplus to requirements soon after taking over the club from caretaker Hayden Foxe.

apparently fake.

• mack unpinned this topic