Squad Development 2017/18 Part 2

1 hour ago, Carns said:

Not really my point. The point was that they can try and poach all the young(er) talent with the hope that every now and then they bag one that'll pay off many times over. Their network of clubs is already a bigger draw card than other A-league teams, and they can point to what they did with Mooy as an example of what they can do for a young Australian player.

Mooy had already played in Scotland and 2 years in the A-league before City got him, and he wasn't young (compared to these guys). He was a solid A-league player with WSW, but went to another level with City.

I’m still not sure exactly what you’re trying to say. What’s MCFC is doing is literally no different to any other club. No player, youth or otherwise, looks to the parent club to make decisions about movements. Players at that age will go where they can see short term path ways to game time. Most clubs have a fairly dismal record of late giving park time to youth players. So if Najjarine has been give a pathway to success he’s going to take it.

If the idea that Melbourne City could offer more European pathways was a reality, they would have attracted the best youth a few years ago.

Im also lost on what your point is about Mooy. Are you saying he was a trophy development product they will hold up to attract kids or that he was an example of using MCFC as a launch pad?

53 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

I’m still not sure exactly what you’re trying to say. What’s MCFC is doing is literally no different to any other club. No player, youth or otherwise, looks to the parent club to make decisions about movements. Players at that age will go where they can see short term path ways to game time. Most clubs have a fairly dismal record of late giving park time to youth players. So if Najjarine has been give a pathway to success he’s going to take it.

If the idea that Melbourne City could offer more European pathways was a reality, they would have attracted the best youth a few years ago.

Im also lost on what your point is about Mooy. Are you saying he was a trophy development product they will hold up to attract kids or that he was an example of using MCFC as a launch pad?

Agree that there are **** all pathways for youth in the A-league, so of course they'll (rightly) take any shot they can. I do think that City would be more attractive to youth due to their prospective pathways.

But obviously playing for any first team is better than only playing youth league.

I am saying Mooy used City as a launch pad (not that it was necessarily intended that way to begin with). I think they simply offered him a starting spot in his preferred position for more money and he did the rest by maturing into a player that was good enough to get a move to the Championship. But it was a much easier transition when they have a ready made team in England for him to be transferred to and loaned out from (admittedly he was never going to play for Man City).

3 hours ago, Carns said:

Agree that there are **** all pathways for youth in the A-league, so of course they'll (rightly) take any shot they can. I do think that City would be more attractive to youth due to their prospective pathways.

But obviously playing for any first team is better than only playing youth league.

I am saying Mooy used City as a launch pad (not that it was necessarily intended that way to begin with). I think they simply offered him a starting spot in his preferred position for more money and he did the rest by maturing into a player that was good enough to get a move to the Championship. But it was a much easier transition when they have a ready made team in England for him to be transferred to and loaned out from (admittedly he was never going to play for Man City).

I agree on all except for City offering greenfield pathways. My opinion is that having the right passport and the right agent is the recipe for the best pathways, but that’s from personal experience.

I do agree that MC might use their parentage as a recruiting tool but I doubt you’ll see any youth players make the move through their channels.

MC will try more Mooy/Brattan/Caceras purchases. Those will be the commercial payoffs for them

26 minutes ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

So guys I was thinking about some marquee players we could sign for next season first on my list is Dario conca he payed with Guangzhou evergrande and currently with flamengo on loan from Shanghai sipg but has the flair we possibly need and the skill to outclass a team like ESFC 

Riera deserves one marquee spot.

I'd try to keep Llorente 'and Iknomidis although the latter may well end up in Europe as he is definitely a talented player. I'm not sold on Cejudo whose efforts so far have been a bit meh. A marquee defensive back is a must. Someone to organise the defence.

2 minutes ago, sonar said:

I'd try to keep Llorente 'and Iknomidis although the latter may well end up in Europe as he is definitely a talented player. I'm not sold on Cejudo whose efforts so far have been a bit meh. A marquee defensive back is a must. Someone to organise the defence.

Riera is on a 2 year contract. 

Llorente and Cejudo are both on 1 year contracts. Apparently we are looking at Elrich and Corey Brown for LB but Brown seems destined for Victory

24 minutes ago, sonar said:

No club should be wasting a marquee spot on a cb. We just need to recruit right in defensive areas.

Ikonomidis will most likely head back to europe but more so because of his long contract with lazio, but for his own careers sake he really needs a full season in the aleague untill hes mastered that. You can tell he needs an extended run against men.

we require another winger to keep Bridge on the bench. 

And a deep lying midfielder that doesnt mind working hard in defence but is good on the ball and can control the tempo.

1 hour ago, DeeDee said:

And a deep lying midfielder that doesnt mind working hard in defence but is good on the ball and can control the tempo.

Roly, he’s starting to be that guy now we have stopped trying to play him as a number 10

9 minutes ago, luisenrique said:

I think Llorente has definitely done enough to earn another year. You're not going to get many left backs better than him in this league. I wouldn't mind Elrich returning but not sure he's an upgrade.

He’s not, one good season 2 years ago. 

4 minutes ago, hawks2767 said:

So I went and watched City and Glory last night to see Arzani and yep he definitely lived up to the hype, that goal showed he's headed for big things.

Dunno if there's truth to the rumour about his agent talking to us but god i hope it's true.

Same sort of goal that Yeboah scored against us a few seasons ago

Hows he doing nowadays? (not a rhetorical question btw)

5 hours ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

Yeah apparently arzani wants to come closer to home Sydney ( western Sydney) but city want to keep him but more likely he wants to play in Sydney so he is closer to family so Wanderers are interested along with ESFC but if he wants game time Wanderers will be his answer.

He could replace Ikonomidis who is probably unlikely to stay.

Interested in everyone's opinions on whom within the current squad on a 1 year deal should be given another season.

I'm concerned that yearly purges will never actually result in a consistent playing group. Individuals will always fluctuate in form, imports may take a season to fire. For example ESFC has maintained much of there squad from previous season. Are we guilty of throwing the baby out with the bathwater on occasions?

11 minutes ago, ZachMercer said:

Interested in everyone's opinions on whom within the current squad on a 1 year deal should be given another season.

I'm concerned that yearly purges will never actually result in a consistent playing group. Individuals will always fluctuate in form, imports may take a season to fire. For example ESFC has maintained much of there squad from previous season. Are we guilty of throwing the baby out with the bathwater on occasions?

Going by the player database there are quite a few players that are here for next season. Riera,Roly,Cejudo,Majok,Herd,Sotirio,Risdon,Baccus, Baby Baccus,Scott,Tokich,Bridge,

They need to do a deal to keep Ikonomidis,doubt it will happen though. Llorente is another one I would keep and I would sign Carusca for another season.

Edited by sonar
1 hour ago, ZachMercer said:

Expiring End 2017/18
Abraham Majok (U21) - Yes
Alvaro Cejudo (Foreign, Marquee) - No
Brendon Santalab - Yes
Brendan Hamill - No
Chris Ikonomidis - Yes (highly unlikely)
Jack Clisby - Maybe (squaddie)
Jerrad Tyson - No
John Roberts (U21) - Maybe
Jonathan Aspropotamitis - Maybe
Kosta Grozos (U21) - Maybe
Marcelo Carrusca - Yes
Michael Thwaite - No
Nicholas Suman (U21) - Yes
Raul Llorente (Foreign) - Yes
Steven Lustica - No
Vedran Janjetovic - Maybe

9 minutes ago, Carns said:
1 hour ago, ZachMercer said:

Very few different for me

Expiring End 2017/18
Brendon Santalab - Yes - for life, even if he just carries a water bottle
Brendan Hamill - No
Jack Clisby - No
Jerrad Tyson - No
John Roberts (U21) - Yes
Jonathan Aspropotamitis - No
Marcelo Carrusca - Yes
Michael Thwaite - No
Steven Lustica - No
Vedran Janjetovic - Yes

1 minute ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

Been doing some research and Craig Goodwin off contract in Netherlands who can fill in as a winger for us along with Bruce kamau/ Chris ikonomidis with Riera up top but we need a clean out I mean only players I'd keep would be carrusca ( definatly) ikonomidis ( I'd pay top dollar for him) santalab( forever)

Goodwin has played 18 games (and scored 2 goals) this season in Eredivisie, I don't see him rushing back.

Ikon I firmly believe will go back to Europe (unfortunately).

Kamau is the most likely out of those three. If he can rediscover his Adelaide form he'll be a good pick up.

8 hours ago, Carns said:

Expiring End 2017/18
Brendon Santalab - Yes
Brendan Hamill - Yes on a cheap wage
Jack Clisby - Maybe (squaddie)
Jerrad Tyson - No
John Roberts (U21) - Maybe
Jonathan Aspropotamitis - Maybe
Marcelo Carrusca - Yes
Michael Thwaite - No
Steven Lustica - Yes on a cheap wage
Vedran Janjetovic - Maybe

Lustica is a solid squaddie, as is Hamill for a back-up CB

Unless we go the ESFC method of stacking the first eleven

I don't think we should just be replacing guys whose contracts expire this year, I think we should be giving some others The Treatment.

Have left off the U21s who haven't played any/much first team as I don't know them.

Expiring End 2017/18
Alvaro Cejudo (Foreign, Marquee) - Can do better than him I reckon. He flatters to deceive. I keep waiting for him to come good. He finally looked like he'd done it last night and bloody Santa got in the way! Getting older too and no guarantee to stay on the park.
Brendon Santalab - keep
Brendan Hamill - keep as backup. His problem is that we have lost too many first-teamers and everyone is judging him as a first choice CB.
Chris Ikonomidis - would love to keep, but doubt it
Jack Clisby - hmmm not versatile enough to be a backup in a league that has cap and squad limits. If Raul goes, definitely keep. If Raul stays, maybe Clisby stays and Raul can be first choice LB and backup Risdon at RB? Depends on cost.
Jerrad Tyson - Is he still on the books/injured? Go younger. Give him a job as fan liaison officer.
Jonathan Aspropotamitis - hmmm tough one. Has regressed. Probably keep, but needs two guys in front of him.
Marcelo Carrusca - keep
Michael Thwaite - nope
Raul Llorente (Foreign) - keep
Steven Lustica - keep if he's only a sub when we have two or three injuries, not a starter. Actually, might as well go younger,.
Vedran Janjetovic - keep

Expiring End 2018/19
Chris Herd - release back to England for "family reasons" 
Keanu Baccus (U21) - keep
Kearyn Baccus - piss off if you're gonna whinge
Lachlan Scott (U21) - hmmm probably keep, not sure he's suited. Not gonna get much time, not a winger.
Mark Bridge -  hopefully this guys is on low wages because he's a second off the pace.  Can do a job if players are injured but should not be guaranteed even a place on the bench. Would keep as WSW stalwart and squaddie.

Oriol Riera (Foreign, Marquee) - woohoo has two year contract!
Jaushua Sotirio - oh man. TREATMENT
Josh Risdon - glad he's got two years. Good player
Roly Bonevacia (Foreign). TREATMENT. Surely Wellington will take him back? Or Okon might have him? Actually, no, don't give him the treatment, the lazy **** will probably love being away from the first team coach. Make him do extra work till he gets sick of it and leaves.

We need:

• 2 x centre backs (one foreign if not Spira level Aussie)
  • 3 x DM/CMs (at least one foreign)
  • 3 x attackers, 2 of whom can play out wide (4 and 3 if Ikono goes)

The only places we are ok are GK, fullbacks and striker.  Keeping Ikono would allow us to spend an extra visa spot on DM/CMs. The whole centre of midfield is a shemozzle.

• mack unpinned this topic