Squad Development 2017/18 Part 2

We aren't playing CL next year. Go with a minimum squad. Get the 2 marquees outside the cap, and only spend money on 10 or so 'first team' players. Everyone else on minimum wages, if they don't like it they can go.

GK 1. Vedran or someone else
DR 2. Risdon
CB 3. 
CB 4. 
DL 5. Llorente (F)
DM 6. Herd 
MC 7. 
AM 8. 
MR 9. 
ML 10. Bridge
ST 11. Riera (F)
GK 12. Suman
DRL 13. Clisby 
MC 14. Lustica
MRL/ST 15. Scott
AM 16. Carrusca if he's cheap for another year.
ST 17. Santa
MC 18. Keanu Baccus (u20)
CB 19. Tass Mourdoukoutas (U20)
ST 20. Majok (u20)

The kids on Scholarship contracts are irrelevant.

Release or Treatment:
Cejudo, Hamill, Tyson, Aspro, Thwaite, Lustica, Sotirio, Roly, Kearyn. I might have missed a few. And for those off contract they get take it or leave it contracts at or near minimum wage.

Let's face it he's not staying another year:
Ikon.

So we'd need 2 central defenders, a right winger, an attacking midfielder and a central midfielder. Three of them can be foreigners, and one a marquee.

10 hours ago, ZachMercer said:

Interested in everyone's opinions on whom within the current squad on a 1 year deal should be given another season.

I'm concerned that yearly purges will never actually result in a consistent playing group. Individuals will always fluctuate in form, imports may take a season to fire. For example ESFC has maintained much of there squad from previous season. Are we guilty of throwing the baby out with the bathwater on occasions?

ESFC maintained much of their title winning squad from previous season. Barring a late season surge from nowhere not many of our current squad will be missed. Breaking up the season 4 squad was a mistake. Was a decent striker away from winning the comp, instead we let the likes Andreu, Alberto, Vidosic go and bring in the completely useless Jumpei and Borda, and to cap it off still don't get a decent striker.

Can't be bothered looking at who I'd keep out of this squad, there is a massively long offseason to think about that, but we have a bunch of players who are on decent $ that aren't contributing anything like near enough, and also if we insist on playing philosophy ball then we need players who can do it.

1 minute ago, StringerBellend said:

ESFC maintained much of their title winning squad from previous season. Barring a late season surge from nowhere not many of our current squad will be missed. Breaking up the season 4 squad was a mistake. Was a decent striker away from winning the comp, instead we let the likes Andreu, Alberto, Vidosic go and bring in the completely useless Jumpei and Borda, and to cap it off still don't get a decent striker.

Can't be bothered looking at who I'd keep out of this squad, there is a massively long offseason to think about that, but we have a bunch of players who are on decent $ that aren't contributing anything like near enough, and also if we insist on playing philosophy ball then we need players who can do it.

Bloody hell, I had forgotten about Borda, thanks for depressing me even more tonight...

**** we have bought some shite the last few years...I thank WSW so much for introducing me to the likes of Adeleke, Apiah Kubi, Borda and Jumpie, I still say to this day Popa drove to the airport and picked up an African exchange student and the real Adeleke was left sitting on his suitcase at the airport.

17 minutes ago, WSWBoro said:

Bloody hell, I had forgotten about Borda, thanks for depressing me even more tonight...

**** we have bought some shite the last few years...I thank WSW so much for introducing me to the likes of Adeleke, Apiah Kubi, Borda and Jumpie, I still say to this day Popa drove to the airport and picked up an African exchange student and the real Adeleke was left sitting on his suitcase at the airport.

I made a post on another site, Popa signed a raft of complete duds (Pinatares, Adeleke, Redmayne, Borda, Dimas, Piovaccari, Jumpei, Kwabena, Sotirio) and a number of mediocre foreigners who didn't make enough of an impact to be worth their pay & foreign status (Castelen, Tanaka, Takahagi, Nico). It's crazy to think we still managed to win the ACL with a guy like Saba in our team.

For us to win something next year, or the year after, Gombau is going to have to stop the "one or two flops per season" recruitment style of Popovic and get all 5 of our foreigners firing.

34 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

ESFC maintained much of their title winning squad from previous season. Barring a late season surge from nowhere not many of our current squad will be missed. Breaking up the season 4 squad was a mistake. Was a decent striker away from winning the comp, instead we let the likes Andreu, Alberto, Vidosic go

Andreu reportedly asked for a four times salary increase.

Wasn't Vidosic on marquee wages? No way was he marquee worthy.

2 hours ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

He would be a great signing to be honest better than what we got now excluding ikonomidis Riera Raul carrusca but if we offer the big bucks then we might get him

Would take him in a heart beat!

happy to throw Cejudo wages/spot at him.

better then Ikon by a mile. In an ideal wed have both though

1 hour ago, mack said:

I made a post on another site, Popa signed a raft of complete duds (Pinatares, Adeleke, Redmayne, Borda, Dimas, Piovaccari, Jumpei, Kwabena, Sotirio) and a number of mediocre foreigners who didn't make enough of an impact to be worth their pay & foreign status (Castelen, Tanaka, Takahagi, Nico). It's crazy to think we still managed to win the ACL with a guy like Saba in our team.

For us to win something next year, or the year after, Gombau is going to have to stop the "one or two flops per season" recruitment style of Popovic and get all 5 of our foreigners firing.

Dimas was sexual in his first season, less so the next. Castelan tore the back out of teams, I'd love to see Nico in this team . Pretty much agree on rest.

The ACL team was better than sum of its parts

7 hours ago, Carns said:

Yep. In the second leg of the final against Al Hilal, WSW had Golec, Hamill, Appiah and Haliti all in the starting 11. With Trifiro, Mullen and Sotirio on the bench.

Everyone knew their job, strengths and limitations ALL fought hard for the club at that time and would walk off leaving nothing on the pitch, it wasnt pretty at times but we loved them for it and helped forge our identity as a hard grafting no nonsense club. We lost that spirit and we lost it long before Popa left.

You can splash the cash on dickheads from all over the world but getting back that kind of spirit will never be a certainty.

Too many journeymen here for some cash, a swimming pool and a bit of time on a beach and on the harbour

Sad.

Edited by WSWBoro

So Spira , arzani and George in our team next year would be sexual 

to be honest I see us getting a total of zero 

outside of risdon our ability to sign good A-League talent in recent years is non existent we always get beat by other teams 

Spria can still make a late run for World Cup sport hopefully wherever he goes he gets a run 

Edited by GunnerWanderer
9 hours ago, mack said:

I'd be very surprised if Gombau was still around after this season. Man management, tactics, team fitness have been highly questionable. If we are meant to win anything next season or beyond, these basics need to be sorted, and whoever is going to be in charge needs to put the West back into the team.

The ACL winning side was fit enough to absorb pressure for 90 minutes, and had character. Right now we lack both.

As for the "duds":

• Dimas was very solid in his first year, was supposed to step up in his second year, and did the opposite.
  • Redmayne was the only half-decent goal keeper available on short notice after the Vukovic deal fell through.
  • Appiah and Sotirio - why criticize young players who got a run in the senior team?
  • Tanaka came totally unfit, and was maybe the best RB we've had so far. Pity he played for us in S3 when bodies fell apart after the CWC.
  • Takahagi also came totally unfit, it is a pity that he played for us in S3 out of position. Maybe the best No 10 we've had so far.
  • Castelen - man of poor decision making, but boy, did he put the fear of God into his opponents, and excite the spectators.
  • Nico - if he was playing for us instead of Cejudo our game would be much more exciting (for the first 60 minutes or so anyway).
  • Adeleke - was stuck in Roma because of the Ebola crisis or something, and arrived in Sydney totally unfit in October. With a full pre season under the belt he may have turned out differently.
  • Saba - highly gifted player with a passion for fashion who got his priorities wrong. We won the ACL because of him though, not despite of him. Guangzhou players lost their **** in Parra for a reason.

Let's not forget that Popa also signed Ono, La Rocca, Poljak, Polenz, Kresinger, Hersi, Andreu, Alberto, Oriol, that Spira and Mooy rebuilt their careers at WSW, Juric became a Socceroo.

But yes, Pio, Pinatares, Borda, Jumpei - FMD. They are the reason why we didn't win the title in S4, and were so poor for the first half of last season. Dreadful. Just dreadful.

9 minutes ago, FCB said:

I'd be very surprised if Gombau was still around after this season. Man management, tactics, team fitness have been highly questionable. If we are meant to win anything next season or beyond, these basics need to be sorted, and whoever is going to be in charge needs to put the West back into the team.

The ACL winning side was fit enough to absorb pressure for 90 minutes, and had character. Right now we lack both.

As for the "duds":

• Dimas was very solid in his first year, was supposed to step up in his second year, and did the opposite.
  • Redmayne was the only half-decent goal keeper available on short notice after the Vukovic deal fell through.
  • Appiah and Sotirio - why criticize young players who got a run in the senior team?
  • Tanaka came totally unfit, and was maybe the best RB we've had so far. Pity he played for us in S3 when bodies fell apart after the CWC.
  • Takahagi also came totally unfit, it is a pity that he played for us in S3 out of position. Maybe the best No 10 we've had so far.
  • Castelen - man of poor decision making, but boy, did he put the fear of God into his opponents, and excite the spectators.
  • Nico - if he was playing for us instead of Cejudo our game would be much more exciting (for the first 60 minutes or so anyway).
  • Adeleke - was stuck in Roma because of the Ebola crisis or something, and arrived in Sydney totally unfit in October. With a full pre season under the belt he may have turned out differently.
  • Saba - highly gifted player with a passion for fashion who got his priorities wrong. We won the ACL because of him though, not despite of him. Guangzhou players lost their **** in Parra for a reason.

Let's not forget that Popa also signed Ono, La Rocca, Poljak, Polenz, Kresinger, Hersi, Andreu, Alberto, Oriol, that Spira and Mooy rebuilt their careers at WSW, Juric became a Socceroo.

But yes, Pio, Pinatares, Borda, Jumpei - FMD. They are the reason why we didn't win the title in S4, and were so poor for the first half of last season. Dreadful. Just dreadful.

Agree with pretty much all except the adeleleyke bit he was proper crap Shall always be remembered for the 360 degree turn against Phoenix and his inability to kick albini over at the half way in a derby 

he has gone on to play the Italian equivalent of Canterbury district all age 8s hasn’t he? 

10 hours ago, Carns said:

Leroy George will command either marquee wages from an A-league team or will go to Asia/Middle East for the cash based on his performances this season.

Yep. So much cash in other Asian leagues, China especially, and it makes it hard to compete for quality players. They rightly go where they will get the best pay. Can't be angry about that. 

5 hours ago, FCB said:

As for the "duds":

Like I said, Popa was signing 1 or 2 dud players every year and many of the others weren't doing anything to set the competition on fire.

If Graham Arnold can sign 5 top class foreign players, fit them all into a cap with multiple ex-Australian players then so should we. If as an organisation we can't properly scout players and can't properly negotiate to fit them into the salary cap, it won't matter if Klopp or Guardiola was in charge because having dud or mediocre players in our starting 11 will cost us just like it did the season we finished 2nd then lost the Grand Final, last season when we finished 6th (and this season where we will probably finish around there again) and the season we finished 9th.

I'd suggest Popa has only ever really got his foreign player mix completely right in 2013-14 and we still finished 2nd then lost the Grand Final. This isn't an easy league to win without doing a lot of good work before it even starts. No-one can just spend a few hundred million euros on established high quality players like the clubs in England or Germany or Italy or Spain do.

1 hour ago, FCB said:

The Smurfs are not under the cap, and it shows.

Not you on the conspiracy theory too! They have squeezed every cent out of the cap, by being clever. Last year our club couldn’t even be bothered signing a proper marquee

For mine damage was done last year when we spent central coast money and got central coast results.

56 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Not you on the conspiracy theory too! They have squeezed every cent out of the cap, by being clever. Last year our club couldn’t even be bothered signing a proper marquee

For mine damage was done last year when we spent central coast money and got central coast results.

There is no way that they have a "third marquee" who is better than their other two marquees under the cap. And then there's Brosque, Zullo, Carney, Wilkinson, Brilliante, Wilkshire - six fringe/ex Socceroos. And there's Buijs and Ferreira. They were all used to overseas salaries, and they wouldn't keep playing for the Smurfs if payed poorly. 

27 minutes ago, FCB said:

There is no way that they have a "third marquee" who is better than their other two marquees under the cap. And then there's Brosque, Zullo, Carney, Wilkinson, Brilliante, Wilkshire - six fringe/ex Socceroos. And there's Buijs and Ferreira. They were all used to overseas salaries, and they wouldn't keep playing for the Smurfs if payed poorly. 

No problems, a bit of Russian creative financing.

I agree with FCB something smells at The Smurfs not just the fact the quality of the team this but to be able to retain most of a premiership winning team and still remain under the salary cap and only lose 1 significant player in Holosko does not seem right even if they are maxing their investment on 13 players , there is still another 3 or 4  being payed fulltime wages to be available to play and if they were on a wage eqivilant to a tradesman they would be earning 60 to 70k each .  

All of the premiership winning team would be piutting their hand up for more pay and remember Zullo was on the move in January and they held on to him , only one way to do that and that is more money.

Their is way to much protection for Sydney FC including on the park from referee's , at Admin level from the FFA and in the published news.

It is time an investigation is carried out to look for other forms of payment going on , like where is Ninkovics wife employed , who pays for the weekly groceries etc: 

There is a lot things that can payed and covered by being and expense item in the books. 

One day the truth will be told :clapping:

• mack unpinned this topic