Squad Development 2017/18 Part 2

16 hours ago, Paul01 said:

So we become the Wedtern Sydney Reds. 

Find this whole “Adelaide / WSW” thing to be quite commical.

you all seem to have a short memory . Pretty sure by that token we could have also been branded as the “west Sydney sky blues” in seasons 1-4. Even in our current squad we have more ex esfc players than adelaida city forca players .

really think people need to get over the past and move on.

pretty damn simple. Popa left us quicker than Nasser (married at first sight) did at the “bad karma” house . HA. 

A club isn’t or shouldn’t be defined by a coach , a player. And if it is - we have biggger problems than fighting for a top 4 finish 

56 minutes ago, sasam said:

Find this whole “Adelaide / WSW” thing to be quite commical.

you all seem to have a short memory . Pretty sure by that token we could have also been branded as the “west Sydney sky blues” in seasons 1-4. Even in our current squad we have more ex esfc players than adelaida city forca players .

really think people need to get over the past and move on.

pretty damn simple. Popa left us quicker than Nasser (married at first sight) did at the “bad karma” house . HA. 

A club isn’t or shouldn’t be defined by a coach , a player. And if it is - we have biggger problems than fighting for a top 4 finish 

Popa leaving ripped the guts out of the team, but that's not really the issue. With a revolving door for players, the coaching team leaving - we've lost our identity in the process. Pride, Power, West - that meant something a few years ago.

The club needs to get the West back into the team. It is one thing when ex Smurf players come home to the West. It's another thing when non Westies come to the West. We need players who are prepared playing in that soulless hole that SOP is. The desire to play for their club and the people has to be there. I doubt that guys like Elsey, Kamau, Arzani, Tongyik would get that. Not initially anyway. 

29 minutes ago, FCB said:

Popa leaving ripped the guts out of the team, but that's not really the issue. With a revolving door for players, the coaching team leaving - we've lost our identity in the process. Pride, Power, West - that meant something a few years ago.

The club needs to get the West back into the team. It is one thing when ex Smurf players come home to the West. It's another thing when non Westies come to the West. We need players who are prepared playing in that soulless hole that SOP is. The desire to play for their club and the people has to be there. I doubt that guys like Elsey, Kamau, Arzani, Tongyik would get that. Not initially anyway. 

The logical step is to grow our own, the only problem with that is there seems to be a culture of arrogance with a lot of youth. They spend 5 minutes in the NPL / NPL2 etc and they are demanding to be starting in the A League side for a week before being hunted by CFG and on a plane to England.

I'd rather a whole team of guys like Mario Shabow who literally went from the terrace to the pitch (before being dicked by Popovic but that's a different issue).

1 hour ago, FCB said:

When were we not a revolving door re players / staff? This has not changed with new owners, new coach. 

Have i been supporting the same team?

24 minutes ago, hawks2767 said:

The logical step is to grow our own, the only problem with that is there seems to be a culture of arrogance with a lot of youth. They spend 5 minutes in the NPL / NPL2 etc and they are demanding to be starting in the A League side for a week before being hunted by CFG and on a plane to England.

I'd rather a whole team of guys like Mario Shabow who literally went from the terrace to the pitch (before being dicked by Popovic but that's a different issue).

What do you base that on? Who have you seen demanding to play first team football? Arrogance is probably one of the last qualities I’ve seen coming from these players.

Get the terrace to paddock idea out of your mind. Those stories are few and far between. You’re much closer to the mark with the grow your own comment. The reality is we are only just starting to see our first crop of youngsters come through. I have no doubt we will get there

i honestly dont get what people expect, since our foundation we have been a club which has always had a lot of changes playing wise, some say its bad but it keeps things interesting :P that feels like part of our identity tbh, even during our seasons where we had great success we have always had a lot of changes on the player roster and honestly for me it does keep things exciting because we never know if we are going to sign a gem like saba or adeleke or a dud like hersi or ono

32 minutes ago, GoatyMcGoatFace said:

i honestly dont get what people expect, since our foundation we have been a club which has always had a lot of changes playing wise, some say its bad but it keeps things interesting :P that feels like part of our identity tbh, even during our seasons where we had great success we have always had a lot of changes on the player roster and honestly for me it does keep things exciting because we never know if we are going to sign a gem like saba or adeleke or a dud like hersi or ono

I still chuckle when I think back to the S1, when Ono was announced and there were the comments that went something like "Ono who?".

1 hour ago, sasam said:

When were we not a revolving door re players / staff? This has not changed with new owners, new coach. 

Have i been supporting the same team?

That's my point, we always had a revolving door, and lost our identity in the process. Every cull cost us, on and off the pitch.

1 hour ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

we should be signing westies. bring back Tarek. sign Petratos FFS. if there's a westie overseas not getting game time get them out here on loan. 

How about we start with players who will win games. Tarek has had a bad injury (not to mention we have risdon and llorente). Petratos will be going overseas no doubt

1 hour ago, Upthehill said:

How about we start with players who will win games. Tarek has had a bad injury (not to mention we have risdon and llorente). Petratos will be going overseas no doubt

Petratos has another season at the Jets.

who knows if Llorente will stay. I would love him to be signed for another season.

16 hours ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

You reckon we will buy petratos I mean if we can then yeah but another great player similiar in quality is Stefan mauk who getting **** all with shitty but mauk is a great player young full of energy great technicals ability gombau gets him then we will become a top 4 team but who knows who we will sign also hearing signing to commence in coming weeks

We won’t be buying Petratos, no HAL team is allowed to. And Newcastle certainly won’t let him go for free after this season.

Mauk is a possibility.

3 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Look at the Daily Mail online.

Two things from the article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/aap/article-5480439/Llorente-urges-lift-terrible-game.html

1) anyone else read his quotes in your head with the accent of de Jesus from the Big Lebowski? Or is it just me?

2) FCB will hit the roof if he reads the Gonbau quotes 

28 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Two things from the article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/aap/article-5480439/Llorente-urges-lift-terrible-game.html

1) anyone else read his quotes in your head with the accent of de Jesus from the Big Lebowski? Or is it just me?

2) FCB will hit the roof if he reads the Gonbau quotes 

And you didn't? 

3 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

And you didn't? 

I was too busy sniggering to myself at the thought of. De Jesus saying 

"We have to be narrow, because all the games we are so open and in the transition they f*** us. Sorry for the word, but they f*** us when we are so open.”

But on re reading 

"No, I think what we need is to have more of the ball," Gombau said.

"Sometimes we want to arrive in the attacking zone very quick and just from the back we kick the ball, which is not the football we want to play.

From Gombau yes it’s enough to send me over the edge 

I’m really not digging the Aldi Roberto Martinez 

So to clarify, Gombau wants us to have more of the ball so we can execute more pointless passes at the back? And that we are attacking too quickly?

I honestly don't think i am watching the same team/games as he is. 

7 minutes ago, EmMac said:

So to clarify, Gombau wants us to have more of the ball so we can execute more pointless passes at the back? And that we are attacking too quickly?

As opposed to our previous manager and the thousands of useless sideways and backwards and anywhere but the goals passes from last season...?

21 minutes ago, sonar said:

As opposed to our previous manager and the thousands of useless sideways and backwards and anywhere but the goals passes from last season...?

Well tbh i was hoping for an improvement on popa with all that frickin pointless passing crap. 

11 minutes ago, EmMac said:

Well tbh i was hoping for an improvement on popa with all that frickin pointless passing crap. 

Personally, I'm hoping they give Gumby a five year extension.

(I've always wondered if spontaneous human combustion is true, and I reckon if they give Gombau five more years it may well be the kicker needed for a few people to really lose it....!    lol)

Edited by sonar
1 hour ago, EmMac said:

It’s perfectly logical. If we have 100% of the ball, the other team can’t score.

We’d probably still have twenty 0-0 draws a season, but it’s a start.

• mack unpinned this topic